Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I've invited curious strangers to sit on my Spyder and took a picture of them with their camera. Usually a foreign tourist. They're very grateful.
    Invited is quite different from uninvited.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Had an alarm with remote on the '06 GL1800. Open-pipe HDs set it off too easy. Only time it was really usefull was in Walmart parking lots where snot-nosed brats tended to climb on it. The alarm ran them off and POed the parents (which I enjoyed). This year at Barber Vintage Weekend, we stayed at a Best Western. I politely asked to park our Spyder in the drive-through, and was refused. Next time we will go back to staying at the Hyatt, which happily allowed many bikes under the drive-through.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Had an alarm with remote on the '06 GL1800. Open-pipe HDs set it off too easy. Only time it was really usefull was in Walmart parking lots where snot-nosed brats tended to climb on it. The alarm ran them off and POed the parents (which I enjoyed). This year at Barber Vintage Weekend, we stayed at a Best Western. I politely asked to park our Spyder in the drive-through, and was refused. Next time we will go back to staying at the Hyatt, which happily allowed many bikes under the drive-through.
    I have not found Best Western to be very good the last couple times I stayed at one. They do not seem to be very customer friendly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have not found Best Western to be very good the last couple times I stayed at one. They do not seem to be very customer friendly.
    There is typically no consistency within a 'brand' of hotel, since most are independently owned and operated franchises, just like real estate companies.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's an interesting product for peace of mind
    https://rlink.com/how-rlink-gps-tracker-works/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There is typically no consistency within a 'brand' of hotel, since most are independently owned and operated franchises, just like real estate companies.
    You are right. Look up BW on google for them in Alaska (Kenai Penninsula). They used to have some of the most complaints of motels in the state. We totally avoided them there. Have not looked at the reviews since moving to AR...maybe they are better now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I did that once going to the grocery store. I usually lock my helmet in the frunk and my riding jacket in the truck while I'm in the store. I carry the key in a holder on a lanyard around my neck for easy access. Reached for the key, wasn't there. In a panic I searched all my pockets, no key. I thought maybe I locked it in the trunk, but remembered I used the key to lock the truck. It finally dawned on me to look in the ignition and surprise! I was dreading having to call the wife and ask her to make a 45 mile drive to bring me the spare key. Lesson learned.
    I can't tell you how many times I've left my key in the ignition at work or even to stores. Embarrassing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    When I lived in Alaska, we drove N to Fairbanks where we spent an evening at a resort hotel. We parked our Spyders in the front row of the parking lot. She, accidently left the ignition key in her Spyder. In the morning we made a frantic search for the key...it was found sitting in the ignition of her bike, in the front row of the parking lot. Happily, both bikes were still there and untouched. Not recommended, but it turned out all right for us.
    I’ve made a few bucks in bar bets. I’ll leave the key in the bike turn all the switches off and say “I’ll bet you a drink that you can’t start my bike.“ No one to date has been able to figure it out and I have even been bribed to show how to do it. I bet Harley riders two drinks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoewRider1 View Post
    Does anyone else experience this while Touring? Would love to hear how do you deal with it.
    From the looks of the replies, your worries are unfounded. If you look through the list of motorcycles shown in our signature you will see how many rides we have parked at various motels and hotels in almost every state and province. In 47 years of touring we have yet to encounter a problem. Enjoy the rides….life is to short to worry about that which you can’t control.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    From the looks of the replies, your worries are unfounded. If you look through the list of motorcycles shown in our signature you will see how many rides we have parked at various motels and hotels in almost every state and province. In 47 years of touring we have yet to encounter a problem. Enjoy the rides….life is to short to worry about that which you can’t control.
    x 2. Been riding motorcycles since 1965. Did motels and hotels from early 80's till present...both with a rider on my bike and others along for the ride on their bikes. No issues anywhere, anytime. One of those things not to lose sleep over. Carry full coverage insurance, park by the window, or in a lighted conspicuous area.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Alarm it, if it concerns you enough. You can't stop a determined thief, but you could know when he is working.

Spyder Garage

I gotta ask Loerider.... why do you worry about leaving your Spyder in the relatively close proximity & usually security monitored parking area of a Hotel/Motel that likely has little if any 'just passing thru' foot or vehicular traffic, when I'd guess you probably don't worry anywhere near as much when leaving your Spyder or any other vehicle in the 'readily accessible by all & sundry' car park outside a shopping centre or mall etc, where there's rarely any real security and there's likely hundreds of people & vehicles passing all the time, possibly many of them being on the lookout for opportunistic theft or low-lives specifically cruising the parking areas looking for easy marks &/or vehicles of any sort they can readily take for a ride or parts??!

I've NEVER had any issues with a vehicle of any type parked in a Hotel/Motel parking area in your Country; in any of the numerous other Countries I've visited/worked in (some really dubious places too ); or in my Country; but thru hard learned experience in a number of these places, I REALLY don't like leaving my vehicles, especially the nicer looking ones, unattended in a Shopping centre car park for very long at all.... simply because I've learnt the hard way & seen the Police & Insurance statistics from many Countries which show that vastly more thefts & vehicluar damage occurs in Shopping centre car parks than EVER occurs in Hotel/Motel car parks!

Or are our Country's that much different these days??

Just Sayin' - and thinking that you're worrying needlessly about parking in the wrong places.... and maybe that you need to reconsider where your greatest risk of theft/damage really is?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Petder, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, however I think that the problem stems from the fact that there is an “x” period of opportunity for a given period of time and that is when he CAN’T hear because he is unconscious (asleep). Maybe unfounded, but.......

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

we always park under and or near one of the parking lot lights OR nearest to the front door we can??? some hoteliers don't necessarily like motorcycles parked under the front entry as it sends a message to the traveling public that it is a "biker hotel"???????? I know there are alarms that can be put on/near the Spyder also?
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoewRider1 View Post
    Does anyone else experience this while Touring? Would love to hear how do you deal with it.
    Sorry I thought I must have posted this and forgot Hell Yeah, when I hunt for accommodation I look at google street view and see where the parking is. If its out on the street or gives me a bad vibe I go elsewhere. one of my favourite pubs that I stay at gives me the key to their garage - they like me don't want to see my RTL becoming the main attraction in the carpark.....
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White