Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need to get over Fear of Leaving my Spyder in Hotel Parking Lots Unattended O/night

Does anyone else experience this while Touring? Would love to hear how do you deal with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I usually park under the awning at the main entrance but out of the way. It’s usually on camera and people come and go. It also saves me from having to cover it up. I was nervous too but got over it. It is what it is and don’t let it ruin your trip by worrying about it. Sometimes when I check in I ask the clerk if they mind if I park it there. No one has told me no yet. Sometimes I don’t even ask. Just do it.

Spyder Garage

Same as Peatmoss, I’ve always asked hotel staff, and they always have been great about allowing me to park under awning and on camera
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I buy good insurance, and cover it up, and have two Jamison's on ice before bed!! Works for me!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoewRider1 View Post
    Does anyone else experience this while Touring? Would love to hear how do you deal with it.
    As a new owner, I obsessed more, but after 5 years I'm less concerned. The DESS system is a pretty good level of security, plus I make sure I park in well-lighted area. In dicey areas I pass a cable lock through the back wheel (I like the Python) and set the steering lock. Of course, make sure there's no loose electronics devices left on the bike. And, lock up the luggage compartments.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In the past year I've parked about 30 nights while touring between NJ & Utah. I use a half-cover to hide my dash & save the morning dew dry-up task. If there's an overhang at the entrance, they almost always let you park there. If not, we try to get a room that has a view of the bikes. Stayed at a couple no-tell motels but have never had an incident while parked overnight.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Consider this: You encounter more idiots on road than stationary at hotel - what do you fear more?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

50 + nights in the last 2 years on the Spyder. Should be more but Covid kept the count down. I use a half cover. I try to be nice and polite at check in and many times the clerk mentions parking under the drive thru, if not I ask. If that is not available I try and get close to the front if possible. At least park on the side of the parking lot by the building.

Have never had a problem, other than being overrun with questions at times. That said, my next 3 nights will be in 3 different locations in South Louisiana. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Somebody would have to be awfully good to make off with a 1,000 lbs, locked down Spyder. I worry more about my trailer. I leave it hooked up to my RTL with a lock and cabling but it is easier to work through those deterrents. However, after traveling for several years I've never had an issue. Don't let too many "what ifs" stop you from living life.

Spyder Garage

If someone really wants it, they’ll get it LoewRider, whether it is in your locked garage or out on the road. Worrying about whether it is safe does nothing. I leave mine under a travel cover, in a well lit area, then head in to the hotel/motel without further thought. It has worked fine so far, but if I come out in the morning and it is gone, first call will be to my insurance company, and then back into the hotel to work out next moves over a coffee. p.s. I don’t leave anything in the Spyder overnight that I may need if the “unthinkable” does happen

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoewRider1 View Post
    I would park as close to the front entrance as possible in a well lit area. I'd also place a full cover over the bike to discourage those random photo op people who might pass by. And of course never leave anything on the bike that you can't afford to lose or go through life without.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Got good insurance? If so, then quit worrying about it.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Got good insurance? If so, then quit worrying about it.
    I can understand why the OP is asking the question. Insurance may replace the bike and personal effects, but it doesn't ensure you can complete your trip as planned.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I can understand why the OP is asking the question. Insurance may replace the bike and personal effects, but it doesn't ensure you can complete your trip as planned.
    Go to Amazon, search for motorcycle alarms, and mount it anywhere. I put mine on one of the lower control arms. Outa sight.

Spyder Garage

Pete, if they want it, they’ll get it, whatever protection you implement. NOTHING can “ensure you can complete your trip as planned”, for any number of reasons. Unfortunately, that’s life.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We did have a bad experience when parking under the awning once. The hotel clerk said no problem parking our black cherry Yamaha FJR under the awning overnight. When we got ready to leave the next morning, we noticed someone had "keyed" or used a sharp object to make a deep scratch across the metal gas tank and all the way down the side of the rear hard case. Although this could also be done when parking in a normal parking space, I always felt it was someone who was ticked off about the bike being parked under the awning. Now we always park in a parking space as close to the front entrance as possible.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have stayed in all sorts of motels, inns. Never had an issue. I park it, lock it and get a good nights rest. Never had a problem. Your experience may very. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

40 years ago, when new to motorcycling, I had the same concerns. In those days I had leather saddlebags that were only closed with buckles.I never had a single thing stole or damaged, and that hold true to this day. The worst thing I ever had was coming out of the motel in the morning to find some jerk sitting on my bike. I politely asked him to get off, now, and when he hesitated I walked toward him with my hand in my pocket. He moved pretty fast, and I never had to take what was in my pocket out.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    40 years ago, when new to motorcycling, I had the same concerns. In those days I had leather saddlebags that were only closed with buckles.I never had a single thing stole or damaged, and that hold true to this day. The worst thing I ever had was coming out of the motel in the morning to find some jerk sitting on my bike. I politely asked him to get off, now, and when he hesitated I walked toward him with my hand in my pocket. He moved pretty fast, and I never had to take what was in my pocket out.
    I've invited curious strangers to sit on my Spyder and took a picture of them with their camera. Usually a foreign tourist. They're very grateful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've invited curious strangers to sit on my Spyder and took a picture of them with their camera. Usually a foreign tourist. They're very grateful.

Our experience too
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

The first night I stayed at a motel I was also a bit nervous. I parked my spyder near my window for easy viewing and nobody bothered it. I've spent a dozen nights in motels without any problems. Some folks walk by it, but just to admire it and not looking to do any damage to it. I just don't leave anything of value in it overnight. Otherwise just park next to the harley dudes, cause I suspect nobody will damage their rides I say this in jest.

Spyder Garage

When I lived in Alaska, we drove N to Fairbanks where we spent an evening at a resort hotel. We parked our Spyders in the front row of the parking lot. She, accidently left the ignition key in her Spyder. In the morning we made a frantic search for the key...it was found sitting in the ignition of her bike, in the front row of the parking lot. Happily, both bikes were still there and untouched. Not recommended, but it turned out all right for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    When I lived in Alaska, we drove N to Fairbanks where we spent an evening at a resort hotel. We parked our Spyders in the front row of the parking lot. She, accidently left the ignition key in her Spyder. In the morning we made a frantic search for the key...it was found sitting in the ignition of her bike, in the front row of the parking lot. Happily, both bikes were still there and untouched. Not recommended, but it turned out all right for us.
    I did that once going to the grocery store. I usually lock my helmet in the frunk and my riding jacket in the truck while I'm in the store. I carry the key in a holder on a lanyard around my neck for easy access. Reached for the key, wasn't there. In a panic I searched all my pockets, no key. I thought maybe I locked it in the trunk, but remembered I used the key to lock the truck. It finally dawned on me to look in the ignition and surprise! I was dreading having to call the wife and ask her to make a 45 mile drive to bring me the spare key. Lesson learned.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks Everyone...Appreciate all the Great Feedback! You put me at ease...

Spyder Garage

Been riding since 1956 and not once have I had trouble at any place I have stayed. Just use common sense.