Spyder Garage

Default Install Question: LED Daytime Running Lights with Turn Signal Light Kit

I'm an excited new owner of a 2016 F3 Limited Special Series with no vehicle wiring experience. I purchased these LED daytime running lights with turn signal integration. https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Daytim...ef_=ast_sto_dp

The install guide instructs you to tap into a fuse, but I'm hesitant to go that route. The fuse is a 20A labeled PBM. It just doesn't seem like a clean way to do wiring. Also, when I put the cap on the fuse box, it's going to damage the wire and not seal properly.

I've attached a picture from their install video to show what they are suggesting. Are there any other thoughts on where I can draw power from?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Ideally you should install a fuse block off the battery for your 12v add-ons. It allows you to isolate each device and stay off the canbus. Lots of options out there. I like the Fz-1 but it's pricey. https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Here's fuse block I installed. Works great and I connected it to the battery through a relay. That way, there's no accidental battery drains.

https://www.banggood.com/IMars-10-Wa...N&rmmds=search

Click the back arrow on their page for a nice and compact 6 terminal one.
    Here's my installation behind the frunk liner bin.....

FUSE BLOCK.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of going the fuse block with relay route but was a bit intimated. I wasn't sure where to mount it, but the picture helps. I found an accessory cable buried beside the battery, so I tried it and it worked for the new lights. But I plan to get more accessories, so I'm going to add a fuse block with relay to be safe.
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMaverick View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of going the fuse block with relay route but was a bit intimated. I wasn't sure where to mount it, but the picture helps. I found an accessory cable buried beside the battery, so I tried it and it worked for the new lights. But I plan to get more accessories, so I'm going to add a fuse block with relay to be safe.
    I used the accessory wire to trigger the relay. Since it's fused, I have an additional layer of protection.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I used the accessory wire to trigger the relay. Since it's fused, I have an additional layer of protection.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll do the same.
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

If we were in the same town, I'd come over and help. I like wiring projects even though I am the farthest thing from an electrical engineer.