Spyder Garage

Default Front belt sprocket failure - any other 'common' failures?

Wife's new to her '15 F3 S the inner splines on the front belt sprocket tore out completely. Dead in the water, up hill push to get it off the road as no shoulder spot with guard rail.
    Only on her 2nd ride so she hopped on with me to go home and get a trailer. Dealer had it done quickly, new white sprocket installed and good to go. Dealer said the original sprockets were a weaker metal than the new white one and has seen a few fail.
    22k miles on it BTW.
    New Spyder owner so not familiar with normal sounds but it's quieter now, it must have been on it's last legs when we got it.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Pretty common failure on the 2015 F3.

Spyder Garage

Fate would have it I'm currently at 21,500 with my 2015 F3 sm6. I did take the bolt off at 10'000 and everything looked OK so I torgued the New Bolt about 10 pounds more than the original. We had to do that with the 2009 GS model. I have a Sprocket and bolt ready and as long as I'm within 35 miles AMNA will tow me home free.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Any other ''common'' things to fail ?
    This forum has a ton of experience, I'm a gearhead so the more I know the more I'm prepared. I am on several vehicle forums and contribute when I can.
    I've been reading tons of posts on here trying the absorb as much as I can. I'm a seasoned citizen and my first bike was a '74 CB350 and that spread the infection.
    TIA
    John
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

D.E.S.S. Module is the only other failure I've had trouble with. Digitally Encoded Security System. Difficulty reading your keys prevents the Spyder from starting. Dealer should have Can Am procedure for replacement.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Wife's new to her '15 F3 S the inner splines on the front belt sprocket tore out completely. Dead in the water, up hill push to get it off the road as no shoulder spot with guard rail.
    Only on her 2nd ride so she hopped on with me to go home and get a trailer. Dealer had it done quickly, new white sprocket installed and good to go. Dealer said the original sprockets were a weaker metal than the new white one and has seen a few fail.
    22k miles on it BTW.
    New Spyder owner so not familiar with normal sounds but it's quieter now, it must have been on it's last legs when we got it.
    Are you saying .... some teeth on the front sprocket broke off or wore off ???? ....( I am well aware of the shaft / sprocket " FRETTING " issue ) if so this is first report of this occurring that I;ve heard of ( here since 2012 and I read 98% of all new threads ) ..... Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Are you saying .... some teeth on the front sprocket broke off or wore off ???? ....( I am well aware of the shaft / sprocket " FRETTING " issue ) if so this is first report of this occurring that I;ve heard of ( here since 2012 and I read 98% of all new threads ) ..... Thanks
    Internal splines of the sprocket, the ones that lock it onto the trans. output shaft, spun right out. He showed me the old sprocket. Only way you could tell it was splined was a small edge left on the bolt side.
    I could see ''red dust'' in the area after I got it home from the repair.
    I didn't look it over before taking it in, was PO'ed since it had less than 100 miles on it from purchase.
    Dealer did me right, didn't even charge me for a oil filter I wanted for winter storage prep. .
    John
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    D.E.S.S. Module is the only other failure I've had trouble with. Digitally Encoded Security System. Difficulty reading your keys prevents the Spyder from starting. Dealer should have Can Am procedure for replacement.
    I'm familiar with DESS issues on my Ski Doo's, same technology, on the sleds they just use a snap on cap that is tethered like the Sea Doo's.
    Thanks
    John
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Internal splines of the sprocket, the ones that lock it onto the trans. output shaft, spun right out. He showed me the old sprocket. Only way you could tell it was splined was a small edge left on the bolt side.
    I could see ''red dust'' in the area after I got it home from the repair.
    I didn't look it over before taking it in, was PO'ed since it had less than 100 miles on it from purchase.
    Dealer did me right, didn't even charge me for a oil filter I wanted for winter storage prep. .
    Thank you for this info ....... What occurred to your Sprocket was directly re-lated to the " Fretting " issue .... which developed on the 15 and later Spyders .... more so on the " F-3's " ...... good luck .... Mike