Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question BATTERY TENDER CABLE ROUTING (outside of the frunk)? 2020 RTL

Hi
    Has anyone routed the battery tender cable to a area not inside the frunk and if so how?

TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Spyder Garage

I have mine on a relay switched power plate. The tender connection is only live with the key OFF, so I don't accidentally poof another tender. Other pkrts on the plate are live with key ON (like my heated gear). Wiring led back from the frunk, under the tupperware to the left side cover that can be popped off with jusy the seat open. Tender connector on one side under the seat, heated gear connector on the other.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I removed the dealer-installed SAE cable from inside the trunk (and had to drive to the dealer to get the rubber plug in the back wall of the trunk that was removed to route the cable), and routed a line from a small gap at the left rear side of the battery compartment (at about top of the battery height) to the rear and along the left frame bracket. I used a loooong plastic zip-tie with its head cut off from the trunk side of the battery compartment, poking it around until it came through the left wheel well. The process was quite fiddly, but with patience and by taping the socket end of the leads to the long zip-tie, I was able to pull all of the cable through the back of the battery compartment so I could route it to where I wanted the socket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Interesting, thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett
    I used a loooong plastic zip-tie with its head cut off from the trunk side of the battery compartment, poking it around until it came through the left wheel well.
    Using a straightened wire clothes hanger works well for this. Even better is a piece of bailing wire. Once you get it where you need it, bend a hook in the end, insert the wire, Crimp it down tight, then wrap it with electrical tape to hold it while you pull it through. The electrical tape keeps the wire from hanging up as you pull it through. Easy Peasy!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

We usually run it back to under the seat, to power gloves and jackets and stuff. There is a extension cord that plugs in, or, a 6 footer. Cyclegear.com
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

we added an accessory fuse block, run it "down there" once and make it accessible for all your needs. I personally used a short length of 16g insulated copper wire as "fish tape". I removed the side panels (tupperware) on the drivers side in order to see what I was doing as well as guide the wires. Just take your time and use plenty of lighting.

Spyder Garage

I just installed one on my 2021 RTL. With the battery cover off I was able to stick my fingers back behind the battery and through the back of the frunk and saw where they came out on the right side of the bike. I park my Spyder outside under a BikeBarn on the left side of my house next to an outside outlet so I needed it to be on the right side. After I found the way out of the back side of the frunk I just pushed the pigtail wire through that hole and after some fiddling was able to pull it out on the right side near the radiator. I ran it under the radiator hose and across the top of the radiator and used the three offset wire stays built into the top right edge of the radiator cover to hold it. I have only ridden a couple of hours since doing that but it seems to stay in place just fine. I did zip tie the cable to the fan wire that runs right under the radiator hose to keep it from touching the hose and to help keep it from moving around.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Do you run it on the right or left side of the bike? I've never used any heated gear, but I might invest in a pair of gloves. Heated grips are nice, but they only warm my palms. The back of my hands still get cold.

Spyder Garage

Hi cptjam

I just put a deposit down on a 2022 RT limited and was looking for a long SAE plug that I can run directly from the battery for my wife's heated gear. I need the SAE end to come out near the rear seat left side when sitting on the bike, this is where she is used to plugging in her heated gear. I looked on the Cyclegear website but could not see the 6' SAE/battery terminal cable you mentioned? I think you would need a cable that long to make it from the battery to the passenger seat?

Thanks
    Randy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    Hi cptjam

I just put a deposit down on a 2022 RT limited and was looking for a long SAE plug that I can run directly from the battery for my wife's heated gear. I need the SAE end to come out near the rear seat left side when sitting on the bike, this is where she is used to plugging in her heated gear. I looked on the Cyclegear website but could not see the 6' SAE/battery terminal cable you mentioned? I think you would need a cable that long to make it from the battery to the passenger seat?

Thanks
    Randy
    Try Amazon. Multiple items of various gauges and lengths.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    Hi cptjam

Thanks
    Randy
    I just ordered/received one off the warnnsafe website.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...ory-motorcycle

Spyder Garage

I got this dual power port from LaMonster (https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...tes-lamonster/) and wired it thru an add-on fuse box. I made it unswitched ( hot all the time ), with my battery tender cable hanging from a hook in the ceiling. Then when I get back from a ride, it's hanging right there and I just plug it in the cigarette lighter plug. I've left it plugged in with the ignition both off and on and never had a problem with the battery tender. When riding, I use that same port for my radar detector.Spyder1.jpgSpyder2.jpgSpyder3.jpgSpyder4.jpg

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRat View Post
    Do you run it on the right or left side of the bike? I've never used any heated gear, but I might invest in a pair of gloves. Heated grips are nice, but they only warm my palms. The back of my hands still get cold.
    JRat: Instead of hard-wired gloves, which require additional heated items like a liner to connect to, try battery operated, you can use them for riding or other outdoor activities where you want warm hands. I purchased several years ago from the Warming Store for about $100 and they work well. I also have battery operated heated socks from them, my feet and hands do get cold.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    JRat: Instead of hard-wired gloves, which require additional heated items like a liner to connect to, try battery operated, you can use them for riding or other outdoor activities where you want warm hands. I purchased several years ago from the Warming Store for about $100 and they work well. I also have battery operated heated socks from them, my feet and hands do get cold.
    I opted for the battery gloves also. Bought the Gerbing “Gyde” model. Like them very much. Makes for fewer wires to remember to unplug getting off the Spyder at the gas stop. Warm as toast on all side of the fingers/hands, and windproof. Battery has lasted as long as a 6 hour ride in the cold on medium-to-warm setting after a short initial time period of high and still was not down.
    Was afraid with the battery it would make the gloves feel heavy.. not at all.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColoRider View Post
    I just ordered/received one off the warnnsafe website.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...ory-motorcycle
    I ran my cable this afternoon. The 5’ length was NOT QUITE adequate for the run from the battery to where I wanted it to come out by the drivers seat. I had to splice on about 2 extra feet. All in all, not super difficult to route thru back side of the battery compartment. A couple zip ties to route it along the frame and brought the end out at the little gap just above the gas filler and just tuck the necessary pigtail length under the seat when not being used.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone ever tried running the cable out the front down by the driving light bar? Or perhaps out one of the sides by the front wheels?

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 RT Limited I brought power up near my handlebars. Later, as you can see, it's on a jack right in front. I use this power port for my tender and for my heated gear.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    I removed the dealer-installed SAE cable from inside the trunk (and had to drive to the dealer to get the rubber plug in the back wall of the trunk that was removed to route the cable), and routed a line from a small gap at the left rear side of the battery compartment (at about top of the battery height) to the rear and along the left frame bracket. I used a loooong plastic zip-tie with its head cut off from the trunk side of the battery compartment, poking it around until it came through the left wheel well. The process was quite fiddly, but with patience and by taping the socket end of the leads to the long zip-tie, I was able to pull all of the cable through the back of the battery compartment so I could route it to where I wanted the socket.
    Did the same thing to my Maverick (Can AM SS). Works great and so easy to install.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Colorider,
    Was the Warmnsafe 5' cable not long enough to reach to back seat? I just need one long enough for the Rider. Wife refuses to ride below 60 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTJim View Post
    Colorider,
    Was the Warmnsafe 5' cable not long enough to reach to back seat? I just need one long enough for the Rider. Wife refuses to ride below 60 degrees.
    I tried a couple different paths to route the 5’ cable (left side) and just couldn’t seem to come up with anything that worked that gave me the length I wanted available to plug in my jacket. I had my original cable from my last motorcycle that I think was 3’ and used it to splice approximately 2’ to the 5 footer. With the extra length, I now have a pigtail of about 2’.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We usually run it back to under the seat, to power gloves and jackets and stuff. There is a extension cord that plugs in, or, a 6 footer. Cyclegear.com
    Do you remember the name of that 6 foot cable? On the CycleGear.com website, I found a 12 foot cable and a Givi S110 12V Handlebar Outlet with a cable of unspecified length. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I got this dual power port from LaMonster .... and wired it thru an add-on fuse box.
    Where did you position your FuzeBlock to avoid it getting wet?

On our 2015RT, I originally put a FuzeBlock under the triangular service cover, but it got wet and ruined. I bought another and stuck it inside the frunk - it stayed dry in there. I'm now wondering where to mount one in our new 2021 Sea-to-Sky.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Has anyone ever tried running the cable out the front down by the driving light bar? Or perhaps out one of the sides by the front wheels?
    Here are pictures of mine mounted by the right front wheel. I posted earlier in this thread how I did it.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Photos, that would be idea if I could have it coming out the left side, I have seen somewhere they had run it out just below the radiator hose and had it zip tied there. Of course I can not find that again.

Would it be helpful if I drove it up on some car ramps? I have no idea what the underside of these look like.

Thanks