Spyder Garage

Default Windy Days are for the Birds

I’m new to the Spyder World, 2017 RTS.. I’ve got a little over 1,000 miles under my belt, mainly riding the 26 or so miles back and forth to work!! No long trips as of yet, and probably will not take any until Spring or Summer living in Oklahoma. My only thing I do not love about the Spyder is riding in windy conditions. I find myself watching the local newscast and decide to ride the Spyder the next day based on the forecast and strong winds. I’ve not been scared while riding but feel exhausted after fighting it and seem to be blown all over the road…. I’m sure there are other post about this, but anyone else feel like this. All equipment is stock, and Spyder has less than 2500 miles on it…. Just a thought from a new Spyder owner!!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJones View Post
    I’m new to the Spyder World, 2017 RTS.. I’ve got a little over 1,000 miles under my belt, mainly riding the 26 or so miles back and forth to work!! No long trips as of yet, and probably will not take any until Spring or Summer living in Oklahoma. My only thing I do not love about the Spyder is riding in windy conditions. I find myself watching the local newscast and decide to ride the Spyder the next day based on the forecast and strong winds. I’ve not been scared while riding but feel exhausted after fighting it and seem to be blown all over the road…. I’m sure there are other post about this, but anyone else feel like this. All equipment is stock, and Spyder has less than 2500 miles on it…. Just a thought from a new Spyder owner!!
    You’re definitely not alone feeling that on your Spyder. I feel that also and felt it on my GoldWing as well as on my Virago and my VTX. Bikers feel a crosswind no matter what they ride. I was going from Calgary, Alberta to Drumheller, Alberta at approximately a 15° off centre angle on my ‘Wing because of the wind. We adapt and live with it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Loosen your grip. The Spyder is sensitive to handlebar input. Most likely you're gripping the handlebars tightly, and as the wind pushes you around you inadvertently move the handlebars causing the bike to track back and forth. A Spyder with properly aligned wheels will track amazingly straight in side winds. Learn to let the wind push your body around without you moving the handlebars. You'll feel a more secure ride.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the above, but also look on this site, for BajaRon's Antiswaybar, It made a huge difference to me, then cartyres front, and you will have a dream of a machine
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has likened it to riding a horse; you need to let the horse move around under you. As IMS mentioned above, you might be gripping too tightly, and every time the bike moves (wind, road ripples, etc.) your tight grip instinctively tries to bring the bike back into line. Yes, it moves, but it's still stable. In other words, it might have moved sideways an inch, but it's still pointed (and moving) straight ahead.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Traveling high plain interstate I-90 at 80mph across South Dakota, I much prefer the stability of the Spyder over multiple bikes I road over that same road. Some nasty north > south winds can make motorcycle riding interesting..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

So you have a new Spyder with only 2500 miles in four years? I would wonder why the first owner sold it. Did it handle poorly for them? I concur that the wind sucks but suspect the need for a sway bar and a good alignment. It made a world of difference after I took care of the front end on my first CanAm. Including different tires. Just something to think about.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lot of profile on a Spyder to catch the winds which seem more prevalent than in past years. That said I would much rather be on a Spyder in the wind than any prior bike I've owned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Loosen your grip. The Spyder is sensitive to handlebar input. Most likely you're gripping the handlebars tightly, and as the wind pushes you around you inadvertently move the handlebars causing the bike to track back and forth. A Spyder with properly aligned wheels will track amazingly straight in side winds. Learn to let the wind push your body around without you moving the handlebars. You'll feel a more secure ride.
    True on a Spyder just as it is on a bike. Here in the Texas Panhandle, we get very high wind gusts pretty much year round and it's something you just learn to deal with. In fact, today's forecast is calling for winds at 25 to 35 with gusts over 50mph.

As IMS said, learn to relax and go with the flow. It's similar to learning to relax with undulation of road conditions. I've had only one bike I would prefer to ride in the wind over the Spyder and that was a fully faired sport-touring bike that would track almost dead straight in all conditions up to about 50 mph cross winds. That was the BMW R1100RT whose fairing was so efficient, wind hardly made a difference for the upper part of the bike while the wheels were pushed to the side. That made for and "auto-correct" in cross winds. With the other bikes, they perform pretty much like the Spyder and learning to be at ease with a little shift now and then is the key. It would be pretty rare for most wind gusts to move you more than a few inches even though it feels like a lot more. Staying calm, relaxed and aware of the need for minute adjustments is the key. But those adjustments should NOT be sudden and jerky; just ease it back on line smoothly and you'll be fine.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

IMS and others are right on. Over-control can lead to fatigue early on. The Spyder reacts to all inputs from the driver. Try to relax a bit and it will get better. It took me over 1500 miles back in 08 when I got started. Now...I have no problem riding in any conditions.

Here is a link you might find to be helpful: since you are new to the site.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-27-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I rode in my Spyder about 120 miles with sustained winds of 25-35 mph and gusts of over 40 mph. Keeping a loose grip on the bars and the Spyder tracked nice and straight. Keeping a light grip on the bars is the key for me.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I agree! WINDY DAYS ARE FOR THE BIRDS. I hate wind! In 2016 I picked up my used 2014 RTL with 622 trailer in Tulsa, OK. Never rode a Spyder before but figured I would learn as I rode it home over 1,000 miles. U.S. 60 passes about 2 miles from my house so I got on it just outside Tulsa and followed the road signs. There were lots of tornados in Oklahoma. The cross winds stayed at 40-50+ MPH almost the entire way across Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle. New Mexico wasn't quite so bad but that is where I discovered that both front shocks were leaking (and bouncing like a rubber ball) and that my rear tire had suddenly become bald in the center (Kenda crap). Did a detour and had a new rear installed in Albuquerque then finally made it home.

I have been is similar cross winds on Goldwings in the past. In spite of the mechanical problems, I found myself more comfortable on 3 wheels in those adverse conditions. I can't say that I was very relaxed on that ride from Hell but over time I did learn to trust the bike. I found that a properly set-up Spyder (with good tires and shocks) handles very well as long as I didn't tense up and introduce unneeded steering input. As others have said, relax and go with the flow. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Be thankful you don't have to deal with this on a regular basis like we do here in the Panhandle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Lived in west Texas (Midland) for 45 years…first 2 then 3 wheels… LOTS of high side-wind gusts and nose-wind riding.
    Gave a whole new meaning to “being in the wind”. LOL!
    Either you ride in the wind or you don’t ride.
    The wind out there is constant but does die down at night unless there is a weather event going on.
    Honestly, I have to shake my head and grin when friends here in the TX hill country don’t want to ride because “they say the wind might gust as high as 25mph”. That was a normal day out there.

After the first time or two out in it you realize you aren’t going to fall over… on either 2 or 3 wheels.. just keep on rolling.
    As everyone has said here..just relax your grip, keep calm, keep it between the lines, nice and steady.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I feel the Baja Ron sway bar helps a lot on side winds, etc.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I rode across the plains in 2019 on 2 wheels and again this spring on the Spyder RT.
    On 2 wheels the bike was on a ~15-20 degree tilt while crossing Texas. No added calories, just maintain the lean going straight.
    On the RT with BajaRon sway bar, car tires, elka fronts, & alignment the RT tracked fine in the crosswinds and I felt no added strain.
    As stated and applicable to 2 or 3 wheels, relax and let the machine do all the work.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Be thankful you don't have to deal with this on a regular basis like we do here in the Panhandle.
    That wind forecast looks exactly like what I experienced when riding through that area. I stopped for a bite to eat and a break in a little town named Higgins, TX. right at the Texas, Oklahoma border. I asked the lady in the café if it was always as windy as it was then. She said to be glad I wasn't there the day before when gusts were up to 80 MPH!!!!!
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

canamjhm, did you eat at the Haystack Cafe'? They have some mighty fine home cookin' goin' on there. One of my biking buddies did some growing up around that area and knows just about everyone in town. We occasionally venture up to have a burger at the Haystack and meet his uncle Phil for lunch.

Spyder Garage

Cool Windy Days

Try lowering your windshield along with all the other excellent advice folks have posted. Definitely a whole new experience on a Spyder but oh so much fun!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    canamjhm, did you eat at the Haystack Cafe'? They have some mighty fine home cookin' goin' on there. One of my biking buddies did some growing up around that area and knows just about everyone in town. We occasionally venture up to have a burger at the Haystack and meet his uncle Phil for lunch.

I didn't want a big meal, just a snack. But mostly I wanted a break from the windy ride. I stopped at the Donut House Café and thought I'd just have a donut and soda. I was the only customer in the place. A little red headed lady told me they didn't have any donuts on the day I was there. At her suggestion, I settled on a grilled cheese sandwich that came with a plate full of chips and a soda. Best grilled cheese sandwich I ever had. I bussed my own plate and asked the lady how much I owed her. She paused for a second and said "I guess 3 dollars will cover it". Told her that was not enough and gave her a five. They had a guest book that she asked me to sign, which I did. Just one of those nice friendly experiences that is never forgotten..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Very seldom is actual wind a concern for our Spyder. Even at highway speeds +10 it is very stable.

It will get some buffeting if at speed a huge bus or semi truck passes. Like that wall of air in front of them spills over into you just as their bumper goes by.

If there is one turbulence we do notice is when we encounter a full size pickup truck, with the tailgate up, in our lane, even being a reasonable distance behind, our helmets get buffeted about.

I do my own alignments. It is imperative that with the rider onboard to have toe in. If the toe is zero or toed out, the Spyder is a turd to ride and becomes nervous and twitchy. Even on straight roads.

Spyder Garage

I don’t think it’s the wind pushing the bike around so much as it’s pushing you around. Instinctively you push back against the wind, probably without really noticing or thinking about it. This causes slight steering inputs to the bike, which is really sensitive to steering input from the handle bars.

I’ve learned to just let the wind move me. Or perhaps I move with the wind not against it. Though I admit, there have been a few times when I’ve been smacked with a side wind so strong my first thought was “Where the heck did that come from”. But like riding in the rain, that’s just one of the things we learn to deal with while enjoying open air riding.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Cross winds don't bother me or the . I think the stiffened front springs and the anti-sway bar up-grade help but I think the grip of the nut holding the bars is the biggest factor.

Coming from an old, slow, V-Max----- It WAS the nut holding the triple tree to the frame.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow