Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter Get Away Location in USA

The wife and I are studying areas of the USA for our retirement and winter escape. We are having some fun and wondered if any other Spyder Forum Members are thinking about doing this.

Please let us know if you have considered something like this change of location.

All good things must come to...... well.....you know the drill.

Escape from the cold temperatures........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

We did this 2 years ago. Minnesota in the summer and Apache Junction, AZ in the winter. Than last year moved to Nashville, TN for summer and purchased a place in Apache Junction for the winter. Heading out to AJ today and will be there until May.
    This gives us the best riding all year around. Smoky Mountains in the summer and Desert riding in the winter. Also TN doesn't have a state income tax.
    We did check out Florida, but didn't care for what little motorcycle riding roads there are.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    The wife and I are studying areas of the USA for our retirement and winter escape. We are having some fun and wondered if any other Spyder Forum Members are thinking about doing this.

Please let us know if you have considered something like this change of location.

All good things must come to...... well.....you know the drill.

Escape from the cold temperatures........
    " google " can be your friend on this ...... I've seen many sites that will tell you the avg. weather of each State or Country .... also quality of life rating .... also what your TAXES would be etc. ..... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Alaska during my working days.

I retired in 2019 and moved to Arkansas. Have a brother here so that's what got me started.

Turned out to be my best move ever. We live in NW part of the State (IMO: the best and most scenic area).

Pros: Cost of living is low compared to all the above. Scenery is beautiful. We can ride 12 months a year. Not to hot or cold...but we do get the extremes. Snow...two or three days a year so far...then it melts away. I have driven my Spyders on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. Did not even need the winter gear. Jeans, lined jacket, gauntlet gloves & riding boots.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have joined the throngs of snowbirds that winter in Yuma, Arizona. Local motorcycle roads don't have much going for them, but Yuma works for us as a base camp in winter for exploring Mexico, SW Texas, and SE Arizona.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I retired in 2005. Before retiring I traveled extensively in California and Florida thinking those would be my best two choices. I lived in Washington State and planned to snow-bird (which I did for 12 years). I settled on Arizona coincidently only a couple of miles from where my parents retired to. The cost of living and weather were the two main factors in my decision. I have no regrets after nearly 18 years (the last 5 full time here).

Your weather reports are a very good source of information from around the country. There are great riding and retirement locations through out the country. Probably not one perfect place. But for a winter get away it is hard to beat Arizona. Good luck in your search..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pennsylvania to Florida each year.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Retired to Las Vegas. Just got a ranch in Montana to beat the summer heat. We did not care for Michigan summers. Something new, great riding, cooler.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Retired to Las Vegas. Just got a ranch in Montana to beat the summer heat. We did not care for Michigan summers. Something new, great riding, cooler.
    Congratulations Joe. Are you going to service Spyders at the ranch?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Still Looking

The wife thought this post was a good idea.
    You guys will have to let the wife/girl friend in on our post.

Thank You for Looking.
    Thank You for the Posts.

We are definitely looking to go south........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    We did check out Florida, but didn't care for what little motorcycle riding roads there are.
    Several years ago, I was sent there on a 'temporary' work assignment, but no idea how long it would be. Left home on New Year's Day with my Goldwing on the trailer, not wanting to miss out on some (hopefully) good riding weather in January and probably February. Ended up leaving there in early May, so it was a good choice.

Regarding the "riding roads", I quickly learned that apparently ALL the maps for that state have a serious mis-spelling problem. The name of the state should be spelled "Flori-DUH". Fortunately, I was dead-center in the state in Lake Wales. The roads do have a few curves there, but only to go around the numerous ponds and lakes. There are also a few elevation changes, but not what I would call "hills". After all, the highest point in the state (way up in the end of the panhandle) is only 345 feet above sea level.

I quickly came to the conclusion that Flori-DUH is a "destination state". If you want to go to Disney, go. If you want to go to the Space Center, go. If you want to go to the beach, go. Just don't expect to be entertained by the road on the way there.

I enjoy my current location. I enjoy visiting other places, but have not yet seen one that is calling my name loudly enough to entice me to pull up stakes and move.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Similar situation here, pondering what to do, where to live when we retire. So far we've decided that we're going to try renting in different locations to discover more about each area.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Try this out

The wife asked several other people who were in this Season of Life.
    It seems that some people are not moving and that's the way she is leaning.
    Come on Spyder Forum People, Please help me out.
    Post your comments and suggestions. ....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been several suggestions already. Maybe you could respond to those with questions to help us get a better idea of what might be a solution for you and your wife. Do you need proximity to a major medical facility for instance? Are you looking to buy or rent? Single family home, rural property, condo, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your wife's reluctance to move may just be a fear of the unknown. Unfamiliar surroundings, making new friends can be difficult for some people.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Use your computer to Google areas you may be interested in. We looked at homes in our area about a year and a half before we actually made the move. Turned out to be very helpful. Did find out that things were not always as posted. One home in particular.

Both of you have to be totally on board with a move to a new state, home, etc. Don't let anyone talk you into something you are not sure of. Vibes are a big deal on a situation that will change your life.

From what I have gleaned about you, prayer is another very important thing in the process. Our thoughts and go with you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-01-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Use your computer to Google areas you may be interested in. Both of you have to be totally on board with a move to a new state, home, etc. Don't let anyone talk you into something you are not sure of. Vibes are a big deal on a situation that will change your life. From what I have gleaned about you, prayer is another very important thing in the process. Our thoughts and go with you.
    Once you have zeroed in on a certain area, a Google search can turn up a lot of info about weather, demographics, cost of living, churches, hospitals etc.

As mentioned above, worshiping within your faith seems to be a big consideration. If you told us more about what kind of congregation you're looking for, that might help us help you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The best I can tell you is, if you and your wife were here, you wouldn't want to leave. Doing a little cleaning on the bike today after a wonderful 195 mile ride yesterday. Then will hang out at the pool with some friends. A lot of people think of open deserts when they think of Arizona. There are a few areas like that. But there is a lot more. We have mountains, ski resorts (yes, snow skiing in Arizona), winding roads through pine trees..... and sun shine, lots of sun shine..... Check it out. Maybe rent a place for a month or so before making a big commitment...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Dad and mom live in PA June -November and then become move to Arizona (Mesa). The have a beautiful double park model in a 55 year plus park area. It’s got pools, shops, outings, etc. you name it they have it. When we visited this past summer I was surprised the mountains 1 hour north, west and east. No dessert. Awesome windy roads. Dad put 110000 on his 15 rt in the last 6 years out there. They love it. They sound like little kids when they call home each week. .25 draft nights, 1.00 all you can eat pizza nights, golf cart racing , movie nights, and regular bike and hike outings each week sounds like a party fest for 6 months to me!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Alaska during my working days.

I retired in 2019 and moved to Arkansas. Have a brother here so that's what got me started.

Turned out to be my best move ever. We live in NW part of the State (IMO: the best and most scenic area).

Pros: Cost of living is low compared to all the above. Scenery is beautiful. We can ride 12 months a year. Not to hot or cold...but we do get the extremes. Snow...two or three days a year so far...then it melts away. I have driven my Spyders on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. Did not even need the winter gear. Jeans, lined jacket, gauntlet gloves & riding boots.
    I live just North East of you, ARtraveler, in Lake of the Ozarks. Left Northern Iowa last year. Riding weather should be pretty much as you described here also. We found housing cheaper than where we came from. Great food, good people and endless places to explore. I anticipate lots of trips to Branson and Arkansas in my future.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " google " can be your friend on this ...... I've seen many sites that will tell you the avg. weather of each State or Country .... also quality of life rating .... also what your TAXES would be etc. ..... Good luck .... Mike
    We are using Google to check out which States would be doable for us. ....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Dad and mom live in PA June -November and then become move to Arizona (Mesa). The have a beautiful double park model in a 55 year plus park area. It’s got pools, shops, outings, etc. you name it they have it. When we visited this past summer I was surprised the mountains 1 hour north, west and east. No dessert. Awesome windy roads. Dad put 11000 on his 15 rt in the last 6 years out there. They love it. They sound like little kids when they call home each week. .25 draft nights, 1.00 all you can eat pizza nights, golf cart racing , movie nights, and regular bike and hike outings each week sounds like a party fest for 6 months to me!
    The wife pick AZ as her 1st choice. ....

Spyder Garage

Where I live in Florida, and have lived since 1983 is West Palm. Years ago it was a much more laid back lifestyle. After Hurricane Andrew, much of the hustle and bustle of Miami / Ft Lauderdale moved this way.

Fast forward to the time of Baby Boomers retiring, the influx of Northerners from Thanksgiving to Easter pretty much screws everything up. Add to this the various attitudes of different groups and unless you understand it, you will remain in your own group you find. This is not being racist or prejudice in any way, merely how it becomes.

Traffic light turns green, instantly folks are laying on their horns. Go anywhere and expect great service, not happening. Want to be somewhere quick, good luck.
    After Easter, traffic eases somewhat, idiots might still hit that horn, and most times after Easter, folks are less stressed and approachable to help.

You could move to The Villages. Interesting place, kind of like a live in theme park for retirees. Other areas can be nice, but vary. Was cool to go to a real competition rodeo a few weeks ago. So all is not lost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dusty1300 View Post
    I live just North East of you, ARtraveler, in Lake of the Ozarks. Left Northern Iowa last year. Riding weather should be pretty much as you described here also. We found housing cheaper than where we came from. Great food, good people and endless places to explore. I anticipate lots of trips to Branson and Arkansas in my future.

Tom
    Thanks for the info. Contact me by PM if you want to meet up some time. x 2 on the housing. I bought a brand new home, in the country, with twice the square footage of my 10 year old Alaska home for 1/2 the price of the home in Alaska.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Perhaps her hesitation could be leaving the kids or the grandkids? Maybe sitting down with the family and having a discussion with reassurances that the kids and grandkids would visit might make the move easier. And a "try it out" before you make a move could remove a lot of the "what ifs" and fear of the unknown.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799