Spyder Garage

Default Do 2020 and newer models handle rough roads better?

I am just finishing a four day ride to Arkansas and Oklahoma. Posted separately about the ride in the appropriate forum. My question here is whether or not the 2020 and newer models of the RTL handle the rough and uneven roads better. My bike(2019 RTL SE6)has the new Kanine tires and has been lazer aligned, but the uneven roads in Oklahoma just beat me up today. If anyone has transitioned form an older RT to the new models, I'd be interested in your input.

Spyder Garage

My first spyder was a 2014 RTL , trade in for a 2020 RTL and have not noticed no difference for road handling,however I don't drive on dirt or gravel roads, asphalt only and I'm from Okla. You didn't state the year model.

Spyder Garage

I came off of a Gold Wing trike onto the 2021 RTL.
    I am surprised..and pleased.. with how smooth the ride is over bumpy paved roads and cattle guards compared to the Gold Wing trike which was in tip-top shape. My front tire psi was cold at 37-38, the rear tires at 24 on the GW and gave a good ride… I thought…then purchased the RTL.

I do start cold with my RTL’s front tire pressure at 18 instead of the operator-manual-suggested of 20..leave the rear at 28, as manual suggested. My weight is +/- 136 lbs. I am a solo rider. I think the heavier riders or 2-up might run higher psi.
    I find the higher front tire pressures as suggested by the manual to make the RTL ride like a pogo stick and very squirrely.
    It’s HOT-to-warm here in Texas and it doesn’t take much riding to get the tire pressures up.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a 2022 RTL. I have been doing a ton of research and video watching. From everything I have read and seen the reviewers are amazed at how much smoother/better the 2020+ RTL's handle as compared to the earlier models. Of course this is not my personal observation. I'm only telling you what the reviewers are reporting.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Riding my 2020 RTL as compared to my GW conversion is just 'smooth', a total positive difference in suspension. Doesn't answer you question compared to the earlier model Spyder though, sorry.

Spyder Garage

I do suggest that you learn not to "stiff arm" the bars - relax your grip and bend your elbows. Some roads present no issues at all. However, those that are worn on the outer 1/3rd from poor maintenance, cheap construction, or over-weight traffic will still buck you around a little more than a motorcycle. Learning the soft grip greatly improves enjoyment of those roads.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I referred to it as gliding the Spyder down the road vs steering it. I run CC a lot and just rest my hands on the handle bars. Corrections are made with a slight pressure on the off side handle bar. Now get in the twisties and it is done differently, yet again with a light touch and body position on the trike. Look to where you want it to go, and after practice it will automagically go where you look.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

My question isn't about how to handle the RT as I don't have any problems with it's handling. My Spyder is a 2019 RTL SE6. The roads we were riding this weekend in Oklahoma were rough and uneven. Control was not the problem. It was that the rough pavement was beating me up on the bike and I was curious about those of you that may have transitioned from an pre-2020 RT to the newer models and whether they handled rough roads better. There have been comments about the new models being a smoother ride. Just asking.

Spyder Garage

I went from 2012 rt to 2021 rt and yes it seams to handle the back roads better, it doesn't seem to bounce back and forth as much. I've left both bikes stock but think a swaybar would help. I also ride 2up most of the time. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Elka shocks are best for rough roads as well as handling. After the Elka's on my '21 RT they were impressive enough I haven't added the sway bar mod. Lamonster installed them and even suggested I may not want or need the sway bar. Have 6,000 mi since March.

Spyder Garage

I switched from a ryker.. the ryker was so bad on uneven roads that i would have to remove my hands from the bars all the time because it was beating my hands up.. I also had my apple watch think i fell down twice because the bars would hit into my hands so badly.. I "upgraded" to rally shocks on it and it was a little better, I then traded it in for a 2021 s2s and those same roads are as smooth as can be.. I dont have experience with older RT's but the 2021 RT is VERY good on uneven roads.

2021 Sea to Sky
    2020 600 , gloss black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Elka shocks are best for rough roads as well as handling. After the Elka's on my '21 RT they were impressive enough I haven't added the sway bar mod. Lamonster installed them and even suggested I may not want or need the sway bar. Have 6,000 mi since March.
    Received my Stage 2 Elka front shocks from Lamonster (in just 4 days). Spent 3.5 hours on installing them on the 2014 RTL. Only 45 minutes for the right side; but took me 2 hours for the left side. Really, Really hard to get to the upper 15mm bolt head to hold while using socket on the rear facing nut! Took a solo test ride; then test ride with wifey.
    Fantastic improvement on over all ride and especially on tight (fast) turns. They were set up perfectly for my needs by Lamonster's techs. Very Pleased!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    My question isn't about how to handle the RT as I don't have any problems with it's handling. My Spyder is a 2019 RTL SE6. The roads we were riding this weekend in Oklahoma were rough and uneven. Control was not the problem. It was that the rough pavement was beating me up on the bike and I was curious about those of you that may have transitioned from an pre-2020 RT to the newer models and whether they handled rough roads better. There have been comments about the new models being a smoother ride. Just asking.
    Yes, I guess post #9 is about the only one that truly answers your question here.
    Maybe you can test ride a 2020 or 2021 and see if you can discern the difference in ride for yourself.
    I can tell you that I test rode a 2014 and a 2018 RTL then waited around til they changed the design on them… liked the 2021 so much I wrote a fat check for it and sold my Gold Wing trike.
    So far I have not felt the need to change the shocks or sway bar on this 2021… smooth as butter….4000 miles on twisty back roads (and lots of bumps in the tight curves and many cattle guards) here in the Texas hill country.
    Let us know how it goes for you.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

My response to Pooch. I thought I was the only one that noticed the lack of posts that were responsive to my question. Thank you. I guess 2 out of 13 on point, isn't all that bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Yes, I guess post #9 is about the only one that truly answers your question here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    My response to Pooch. I thought I was the only one that noticed the lack of posts that were responsive to my question. Thank you. I guess 2 out of 13 on point, isn't all that bad.

C'mon you two! Almost every post & poster here has tried to offer you something that might help you arrive at an answer, and they've done it cos they thought you wanted to consider all/any suggestions or they thought their post might help in the developing discussion! It's a Forum, and fora like these are generally places where people arrive at a solution thru discussion! If you don't want any discussion and you want to bag those people who may have offered their suggestions out of the kindness of their hearts &/or in an effort to try and help you, then you just might not end up getting ANY responses at all!!

Please don't belittle those who are trying to help you, or you just might end up not ever getting any help; or maybe you might even attract adverse attention from the Moderators here!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

This may or may not help. We own a 2014 RTS. Ours rides quite firm since it has Fox Shox on it and a Baja Ron Swaybar. We also have Federal Formoza front tires.

Several weeks ago, I helped my friend on account of him injuring his back. I took his Spyder to the dealer and back. This was over 5 hours of riding in one day on his 2021 RT. He too has Federal Formoza tires.

The entire ride was on roads I have previously traveled on our Spyder also.

About the only real handling difference, which kind of reduced the getting tossed about was the lower center of gravity. So if the was any induced roughness to cause sway, the 2021 was maybe a very, very, very slight bit smoother. As for handling rougher sections of road that was essentially the same with ours having better suspension it has no vagueness in control.

Our 2014 has a Corbin seat with backrest. His had a stock seat with no backrest. Realize, he was hurt from lower back pain. Upon getting home, my lower back was killing me. I informed him the oem seat on the 2021 is not great and no backrest makes it worse. He has since bought and installed a backrest and I believe no longer suffers lower back pain from the Spyder. As my back began to ache, I could not get comfortable, and every ripple, bump or speed dot felt like the tires were 100 psi.

Not handling related, our 2021 has the Can Am hinged air deflectors. His 2021 has the Can Am hinged deflectors also. His runs a stock windscreen with cut outs, ours is an F4 with no cutouts (stock height). The 2014 I believe has much better airflow for the rider and passenger.