Spyder Garage

Exclamation Actual cost of BRP plastic panels?

Curious about the actual cost of panels used for our Spyder? I have just purchased a new 2021 Spyder RT Limited and wanted to buy the color matched rear deck panel to cover the “hole” left when you remove rear box! WOW! $239.00 for a blown plastic piece, really! I know we want our bikes to look nice, but damn, how much profit does a company need? Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

You will most likely run into the same with any brand of motorcycle.

The early Corbin saddlebags for the 2008 and 2009 GS/RS models were $1500.00.

BRP came out with GIVI at around $1000.00.

The motorcycle accessory and after market industry prices them like that, because they can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What ARtraveler said actually applies to anything manufactured. .... I remember reading over a decade ago the average $ 15,000 car , if bought from the parts bin would cost over $100,000. This is where the REAL serious money is made in retail. ...... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND when you think about that - remember producing a poor product is almost self-sustaining ... it automatically guarantee's profits .... economics 101 .... every time I hear someone screaming that " taxing the corporations " will solve your " personal " higher taxes ..... TOTAL B.S. ..... Corporations ADD in their Tax cost to ALL the products they make .... so who is Actually paying the higher taxes ..... YOU ..... end of rant ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: who ;-)

Spyder Garage

Don,
    I wanted to have a unique part made. The mold and dies and trimming for that one part was 25,000 dollars. If I agreed to 10,000 pieces, the price dropped to 250 a piece! The problem is that the parts are so few. Plastic has characteristics that make it challenging. A steel piece, to cover that area, custom made, would be easily twice as much, then add color matched paint. Making it look nice is the hard part!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Curious about the actual cost of panels used for our Spyder? I have just purchased a new 2021 Spyder RT Limited and wanted to buy the color matched rear deck panel to cover the “hole” left when you remove rear box! WOW! $239.00 for a blown plastic piece, really! I know we want our bikes to look nice, but damn, how much profit does a company need? Any thoughts?
    Which company are you talking about?

The manufacturer of the part?
    BRP who buys it from them?
    The distributor who warehouses all the parts?
    The retailer you ultimately buy it from?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Everything others have said applies. I will add that the subject part is a slow seller and costs as much to make as if it sold in the tens of thousands. The cost to bring it to production has to be recouped. Removing the top trunk for the look, you gotta pay for that bit of vanity.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Which company are you talking about?

The manufacturer of the part?
    BRP who buys it from them?
    The distributor who warehouses all the parts?
    The retailer you ultimately buy it from?
    And each one of the above has to make a profit-------------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I figured out over 40 years ago when I had a small print shop that there was more money to be made in selling than producing. As an example, a small company I did printing for made little wooden signs with slogans. The retail price was $2.00. The retailer paid 60% of that, or $1.20 per sign. The wholesaler he bought it from paid probably 60% of that, or $0.72. The jobber, who the wholesaler bought from, paid the maker 60% of that, or about $0.45. So for every $2.00 sign the guy who actually made it may have made about 15 to 20 cents from it. Each seller along the way had to pay all his business costs from the margin, including shipping. So the company who manufactured the $239 plastic piece may have sent it out the door for as little as $40. About 45 years ago I worked with a guy who had worked for Briggs and Stratton. At that time you could buy a replacement lawn mower engine for about $50 at retail. My coworker said they left the B & S factory at a cost of about $5.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the opinions! And everyone is correct, when buying parts, I never thought of cost of producing and distributing them! And have to remember that “toys” of all sizes and types do cost money! Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    What ARtraveler said actually applies to anything manufactured. .... I remember reading over a decade ago the average $ 15,000 car , if bought from the parts bin would cost over $100,000. This is where the REAL serious money is made in retail. ...... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND when you think about that - remember producing a poor product is almost self-sustaining ... it automatically guarantee's profits .... economics 101 .... every time I hear someone screaming that " taxing the corporations " will solve your " personal " higher taxes ..... TOTAL B.S. ..... Corporations ADD in their Tax cost to ALL the products they make .... so who is Actually paying the higher taxes ..... YOU ..... end of rant ..... Mike
    That's not economic theory or sound public policy, Mike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 Cents

Well I almost let this one pass. ....
    I really enjoyed the informative, presentation from those that made comments.
    So Please, keep healthy comments on any and all posts.

Have a Blessed Day. .........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I was actually looking at some different color options for the L/R fairing panels on my black F3S. They're $265 each, but I'll get a 15% discount from my old employer. Still at around the $500 mark. Might look at some vinyl wrap options. Winter projects

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

UP & BK:

We do allow opinions as long as they do not disregard the site rules.

Opposing opinions are okay. Just don't let this degenerate into a shouting match. IMO: you have both stated your opinions at this point.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    UP & BK:

We do allow opinions as long as they do not disregard the site rules.

Opposing opinions are okay. Just don't let this degenerate into a shouting match. IMO: you have both stated your opinions at this point.
    .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Oct. 29, 2021

I just asked about a replacement OEM windshield for the 2021 F3LTD. They said $329. However, I didn't need one, I was just curious. I bought the Lamonster 17 inch freedom windshield for $294 and it works great. JMO