Spyder Garage

Exclamation Planning next trip WI, MN, ND, SD, & maybe MT - any good riding maps?

Just got back from 2 weeks on the road rode the blue ridge parkway ,smoky mountains and then went to the Ozarks and rode out there 90% was on back roads had a good time got in a little fog at skyline and a couple of little showers but that was about it except for trying to find clean motel . planing next trip thinking of going to Wisconsin. Minnesota. North Dakota. South dakota and maybe Montana if any one knows where to get good riding maps of these areas it would sure help and what months are a good time to go when it's not hot and not cold just good riding temp. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I go the specific state websites, there always seems to be a tourism link with free downloadable maps or a link to have a vacation packet sent to your address.

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I ran across the recommendation for Butler Maps on one of the motorcycle FB pages I'm a member of. Turns out they are very handy and very accurate for quality riding. I have five of their maps now and plan to get them all as I plan trips to areas I have not yet been where they have maps.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    A few years ago I ran across the recommendation for Butler Maps on one of the motorcycle FB pages I'm a member of. Turns out they are very handy and very accurate for quality riding. I have five of their maps now and plan to get them all as I plan trips to areas I have not yet been where they have maps.
    👍 for Butler Maps.
    Plus they are heavy duty and don’t rip and tear easily like a lot of regular thin paper maps do.
    They don’t show ALL the little roads available but leave that to your own adventuresome soul.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

We used this site (below) this as a baseline/ guideline when we did our huge trip this past summer. They show major routes like pooch said and then you simply zoom in and create your own based on the areas for the back roads. They are all color coded. Worked well for us.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here is a website on some great rides in WI. You should be able to string these together to get a fantastic ride across the state
    https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...s-in/wisconsin
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Wisconsin has some great roads for riding. The Great River Road, Wis. Hwy 35. is great. Here is a link to the Driftless area, they have maps, geared toward motorcyclists. https://www.driftlessroadadventures.com/

You can buy downloadable maps, of the various regions from them. In North Central Wisconsin, Marathon City, state Hwy. 107 is a great ride, as you go north. On the Iowa side of the Mississippi, there are some great roads, McGregor, IA. is a neat little town.

Here is a link to a video I did in Lanseboro, MN., Decorah, IA, and Prairie du Chein WI. This time we were not on this Spyder, but we have ridden the area during the summer. https://vimeo.com/638477111

Another video of Minnesota Hwy 60, from Wabasha to Zumbrota. https://youtu.be/2hV6o3wY6a4
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Used to live in Montana. Have ridden there a lot. Best advice I can give is skip eastern Montana, which is difficult if you're coming from the east.

Recommended: Beartooth Hwy NE corner of Yellowstone. Glacier Park: east to west on Going to the Sun. Done it more than once, both ways. Prefer E to W.

Western Montana is full of fun, scenic and twisty roads, FULL! Going from Yellowstone to Glacier there are multiple routes most of which are good.

"Good" means beautiful, not straight roads, interesting smaller towns to stop for gas, a bite to eat and locals to meet.

Go online to the Montana state website, find their transportation dept and order yourself a map.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Sadly Butler doesn't have a map for MN, or WI. They do have one that covers the Black Hills of SD.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I can’t PM you because I haven’t posted yet, but just wanted to say hello. We live in Oconomowoc and this weekend we’re going to pick up our first Spyder - a 2021 RT Ltd. Woo hoo! So hello from a fellow Ocon resident!

Spyder Garage

I agree! We recently moved from West Salem, Wi. Just NE of La Crosse. There was an article recently in Road Runner magazine about one the rides through the area, they went right past our house on county rd c on their way to Trempealeau. The driftless region is beautiful, maybe ride on up to the Apostle Islands too (lake superior).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Used to live in Montana. Have ridden there a lot. Best advice I can give is skip eastern Montana, which is difficult if you're coming from the east.

Recommended: Beartooth Hwy NE corner of Yellowstone. Glacier Park: east to west on Going to the Sun. Done it more than once, both ways. Prefer E to W.

Western Montana is full of fun, scenic and twisty roads, FULL! Going from Yellowstone to Glacier there are multiple routes most of which are good.

"Good" means beautiful, not straight roads, interesting smaller towns to stop for gas, a bite to eat and locals to meet.

Go online to the Montana state website, find their transportation dept and order yourself a map.
    Glacier was awesome this past summer. We ran beartooth on the spyders both ways. We had the toyhauler and camped 30 minutes north and ran to Yellowstone NP on the spyders. Then pulled the trailer on the western pass into Yellowstone Montana the next day and ran Yellowstone NP on the spyders from the west gate. We have been there many times so just did the “figure 8” loop, stopped for a good spout and headed back into Yellowstone Montana. ONE THING ABOUT GLACIER………YOU NEED RESERVATIONS/PASSES NOW ABOUT 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE TO “DRIVE IN!” You can’t go in until you have the pass with your vehicles registered. “All the vehicles”, truck, camper and spyders need a separate registration with glacier if they are being used before entering. It can only be done online. The passes are mailed to you. They also inspect the vehicle now so make sure you have your insurance, registration, inspection if the state requires it and driver’s license. It was packed when we were there in July.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Amen Brother!