Spyder Garage

Default Started, then won't

Hi, all.

I started my wife's '09 RS and moved it out of the garage. Started just fine. 15 minutes later, go to start it to pull it back in. It turns over for a second, then a clicking noise, then dies. Turn key off and back on. Dash lights flicker for a bit, then die. Besides the fact that it initially started fine, here's the other thing that seems odd...

I attach a booster pack. Turn key on. Dash lights up normal. Go through normal starting motion. But it still won't turn over. Just does the click, goes dark, then comes back on to initial screen.

I have it on a tender and will leave it there for 24 hours and try again tomorrow. Will also remove battery and clean terminals.

It just seems weird that it won't start even with a booster pack attached.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Spyder Garage

Classic signs of a battery gone bad..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Starting a cold engine (I'm assuming it was cold) for a couple minutes is very hard on the battery and a helluva lot more. Check the terminals to make certain they are clean and tight. If the battery is more than 4 years old, it more than likely needs to be replaced.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If trip meters zero out than way dead battery too low to start jump pack or not. too many attempts without time for starter to cool between will burn out starter. Slow Aggravating process give good 15-20min between attempts could try directing a a fan at it, possibly on Rh side by brake pedal I think.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Time for a load test, but be ready to buy a new battery!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder01 View Post
    Hi, all.

I started my wife's '09 RS and moved it out of the garage. Started just fine. 15 minutes later, go to start it to pull it back in. It turns over for a second, then a clicking noise, then dies. Turn key off and back on. Dash lights flicker for a bit, then die. Besides the fact that it initially started fine, here's the other thing that seems odd...

I attach a booster pack. Turn key on. Dash lights up normal. Go through normal starting motion. But it still won't turn over. Just does the click, goes dark, then comes back on to initial screen.

I have it on a tender and will leave it there for 24 hours and try again tomorrow. Will also remove battery and clean terminals.

It just seems weird that it won't start even with a booster pack attached.

Anything else I should be looking at?
    Before the 1330 engine and the addition of a REAL alternator ..... The V-twins ( yours ) had a Magneto system for re-charging the Battery .... well BRP didn't go over-board for it and bought a low end unit ..... It doesn't do a good job of re-charging, so the battery wears down.... couple this with the fact that Spyders use a LOT of power to start them, a weak battery will FAIL ..... Most owners of the V-twin have learned that using a Battery Maintainer ..... helps a lot for those folks who don't ride often and above 4000 rpm's ..... I suggest adding star washers to the terminals, they will NEVER loosen by themselves ...... Good luck , .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks one and all for the input. Charged battery on tender until it said fully charged. Voltage was 13.2 on my meter. Cleaned terminals. Still just makes a loud click, goes blank, then tries to come back on. Will replace battery tomorrow and see what happens.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder01 View Post
    Thanks one and all for the input. Charged battery on tender until it said fully charged. Voltage was 13.2 on my meter. Cleaned terminals. Still just makes a loud click, goes blank, then tries to come back on. Will replace battery tomorrow and see what happens.
    Try this first ..... use your car or trk battery to jump start the Spyder .... DO NOT have the car or Trk running .... just use the battery .... tell us what happens ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Try this first ..... use your car or trk battery to jump start the Spyder .... DO NOT have the car or Trk running .... just use the battery .... tell us what happens ..... Mike
    Sorry, Mike - didn't see this until it was too late. All the same, I appreciate your input along with everyone else's.

Took battery to Autozone for a load test, and battery definately gave up the ghost. New battery, and all is right in the world. Wife is happy (at least for the evening).

Thanks again!
    Matt