Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a dealer and BUDS to reset my fault codes??

I have some fault codes, DBS and VSS codes, check engine light comes on and off, when i do the code search (the mode hold and 5 bright clicks of the switch), says NO active codes..

I am wondering if those codes can't be reset without a dealership and their computer

Bike seems to run and start just fine..

Thanks ALL!

I changed the battery, same codes, checked ground, etc... more when the weather gets a little more reasonable here in the mid-west

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Battery??

Many codes reset when the cause is fixed............ I would sure check the battery connections. first. Year and model of your ryde is very helpful. Many of us put that info in the signature file.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Many codes reset when the cause is fixed............ I would sure check the battery connections. first. Year and model of your ryde is very helpful. Many of us put that info in the signature file.

Lew L
    sorry 2009 Spyder SM5

I bought a new battery and connections are tight, i had to put in a new ground bolt underneath the seat b/c it was loose and stripped-- guess i should double check that also, but we made sure it was tight and havent rode it

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fault Codes

The codes will stay in the bikes 'Black Box'. That being said you can not delete the Fault codes. Only the Dealers and BRP will be able to delete most codes. You Know 'insurance protection' for the Dealer and BRP. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by laser1972 View Post
    sorry 2009 Spyder SM5

I bought a new battery and connections are tight, i had to put in a new ground bolt underneath the seat b/c it was loose and stripped-- guess i should double check that also, but we made sure it was tight and havent rode it
    Did you put your 'New Battery' on charge for at least 12 hours before installing it?? Have you checked & load tested your 'New Battery' since installing it to make sure it's good & holds a good charge?? Just cos a battery is 'New' it doesn't necessarily mean it's got a proper/full charge or that it's 'good'.

I've seen quite a few 'New Batteries' that were effectively 'dead' on installation!! There's been more than one thread reporting new batteries like that here too!!

If your codes are due to poor voltage/dead battery, then charging your 'New Battery' properly or getting it replaced for one that you KNOW has been put on a charger for at least 8 hours before installation (preferably because you did it yourself ) and that has tested as fully charged & load tested as good should clear all those codes just by connecting it all up & ryding it for a bit, without the need to connect it to BUDS!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

When the problems go away the light will go off but just in case clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and touch the positive and the negative leads together for 30 seconds to clear the memory from the computer.If the same codes come back you definitely have a problem.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Did you put your 'New Battery' on charge for at least 12 hours before installing it?? Have you checked & load tested your 'New Battery' since installing it to make sure it's good & holds a good charge?? Just cos a battery is 'New' it doesn't necessarily mean it's got a proper/full charge or that it's 'good'.

I've seen quite a few 'New Batteries' that were effectively 'dead' on installation!! There's been more than one thread reporting new batteries like that here too!!

If your codes are due to poor voltage/dead battery, then charging your 'New Battery' properly or getting it replaced for one that you KNOW has been put on a charger for at least 8 hours before installation (preferably because you did it yourself ) and that has tested as fully charged & load tested as good should clear all those codes just by connecting it all up & ryding it for a bit, without the need to connect it to BUDS!
    Yes when the battery came in the mail, it wasnt charged, so i had it on the charger overnight and put it in the next day

I have left it for a few days and the battery still starts the bike right up, maybe I do need to ride it a bit to clear the codes, just dont want it to go into limp mode (It never has done that, but still..)

I might try the other suggestion to touch the leads for 30 sec and see if it clears the codes or not, then next would be test the battery with a meter to see if the battery has correct voltage

T
    Thanks for all the advice and help!...

Spyder Garage

Yes when the battery came in the mail, it wasnt charged, so i had it on the charger overnight and put it in the next day

I have left it for a few days and the battery still starts the bike right up, maybe I do need to ride it a bit to clear the codes, just dont want it to go into limp mode (It never has done that, but still..)

I might try the other suggestion to touch the leads for 30 sec and see if it clears the codes or not, then next would be test the battery with a meter to see if the battery has correct voltage

T
    Thanks for all the advice and help!...
    I'd do that first!!

If the battery wasn't charged at all before you got it, chances are it REALLY needed a good 12+ hour charge to bring it up to speed AND some ryding there-after! Every start you try will effectively need about 30 mins of ryding at hwy speeds to properly replenish the drain the attempted start, so given what you're seeing now, just check it!!

Connect a multi-meter across the battery terminals (correct pos/neg connections please! ) before you try anything to check that there's 12.5 plus volts in there when the battery is resting & unused for some hours (8+... ); then watch to make sure that it doesn't drop below about 12 volts when you just turn the ign on; that it stays above 10.6 - 11 volts while the starter is actually cranking (or while the solenoid is clicking... ) and then IF it happens to start, it should show about 13.6 or more volts with the engine running at a fast idle.... All that's not as good as a proper load test, but it'll give you an idea of the battery's state of charge.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'd do that first!!

If the battery wasn't charged at all before you got it, chances are it REALLY needed a good 12+ hour charge to bring it up to speed AND some ryding there-after! Every start you try will effectively need about 30 mins of ryding at hwy speeds to properly replenish the drain the attempted start, so given what you're seeing now, just check it!!

Connect a multi-meter across the battery terminals (correct pos/neg connections please! ) before you try anything to check that there's 12.5 plus volts in there when the battery is resting & unused for some hours (8+... ); then watch to make sure that it doesn't drop below about 12 volts when you just turn the ign on; that it stays above 10.6 - 11 volts while the starter is actually cranking (or while the solenoid is clicking... ) and then IF it happens to start, it should show about 13.6 or more volts with the engine running at a fast idle.... All that's not as good as a proper load test, but it'll give you an idea of the battery's state of charge.

battery tested at 12.4 or so and the bike has sat for a few days, tested it after it started and peaked at 13.-14 volts

Spyder Garage

battery tested at 12.4 or so and the bike has sat for a few days, tested it after it started and peaked at 13.-14 volts
    Still bearing in mind that this isn't necessarily a simple 'low battery/dead battery' issue, and that a multi-meter test isn't as good as doing a proper Battery Load Test, that first reading above is 'sorta OK' - not great tho, I would've expected a higher resting voltage from a fully charged new battery, but it's possibly not suggesting anything awful yet; and the second reading is suggesting to us that your Spyder's charging system is in good nick.

Did you also check the voltage with just the ign turned on (turn ign on & then read voltage before trying to start the engine ) & then again while the starter was actually cranking the engine, cos given that first result you've shown us above, those other two could be very revealing.... or maybe not?!

BTW, what sort of battery charger do you have?? A proper Smart Charger with Multi-stage Charging Levels & Maintenance Mode, or just a Battery Tender?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Ok, i will do the other test and report back.. Will have to get batteries for my tester, my dad came over to watch the football game and we used his ..

I have 3 or 4 battery chargers, i use a fancy one that tells me percentage, volts and even has wireless app that i can use on my phone that tells me the same info

also have a speed charger which i can use from 2v to 12V fast charge.... and a generic old school battery charger that is not digital..'

Spyder Garage

Still bearing in mind that this isn't necessarily a simple 'low battery/dead battery' issue, and that a multi-meter test isn't as good as doing a proper Battery Load Test, that first reading above is 'sorta OK' - not great tho, I would've expected a higher resting voltage from a fully charged new battery, but it's possibly not suggesting anything awful yet; and the second reading is suggesting to us that your Spyder's charging system is in good nick.

Did you also check the voltage with just the ign turned on (turn ign on & then read voltage before trying to start the engine ) & then again while the starter was actually cranking the engine, cos given that first result you've shown us above, those other two could be very revealing.... or maybe not?!

BTW, what sort of battery charger do you have?? A proper Smart Charger with Multi-stage Charging Levels & Maintenance Mode, or just a Battery Tender?
    ok had tjhe charger on overnight, even the charger went into maintenance mode

I did the test again but this time also included the start but not run voltage

battery was around 12.4, starting it up went into 13.5 or so, just hitting the starter it dropped into 11 volts

any ideas... I might just return the battery and get another one... Just strange that it was dead on arrival and the guy telling me it should be at 70 percent charged

Spyder Garage

ok had tjhe charger on overnight, even the charger went into maintenance mode

I did the test again but this time also included the start but not run voltage

battery was around 12.4, starting it up went into 13.5 or so, just hitting the starter it dropped into 11 volts

any ideas... I might just return the battery and get another one... Just strange that it was dead on arrival and the guy telling me it should be at 70 percent charged
    11 volts while cranking is borderline... possibly functional in some vehicles, but not really good enough for a power hungry Spyder! . You might be able to restore that battery to some semblance of useful life by properly charging it & running it thru a maintenance cycle followed by a full charge cycle a few times; but if it's dropped below 12 volts just once at the start of its life, then it's never likely to work as well or last as long as it should!

So I reckon that either it came to you less 'charged' than it should've been & you probably didn't charge it properly/for long enough when you first got it to compensate for that; or you simply got a dud new battery that was DOA - it does happen occasionally, more often than you might think.

Either way, it's probably dead or dying now, and as a 'new battery', it shouldn't be - the supplier should replace it, but might want to see proper load test results first to confirm that it's really cactus....

Once you get a new, 'new battery', charge it on the appropriate charging cycle (wet cell or AGM, etc as appropriate for the battery type - altho a motorbike/Spyder battery should be at least an AGM battery! ) for at least 12 hours before installing it; and then once installed & you start your Spyder up, either take your Spyder for at least a 30 min road speed ryde, or put it back on the maintainer to replace the battery drain imposed by starting the engine & not ryding it long enough to recharge it and top it up! . The ryde should clear all those codes & lights etc from active status, but they will remain recorded in the history for the tech to see next time your Spyder is connected to BUDS.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, i am returning the battery --

Do you happen to know a good brand etc to order one from ebay?... Yuasa was the one i ordered, but when it came it doesnt say it anywhere on the battery, just PowerStar..

Just do not want to make the same mistake, locally, they want over $100 for the same battery

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Remember the saying? You get what you pay for? I would NEVER purchase a battery from ebay, but....that’s just me.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

So after yet another battery (got one for $125 MotorAtt AGM yellow battery), I doubt it was the culprit.

Same codes ABS/VSS/EBD, -- No check engine light and I drove it around the block and church parking lot for a good 15 min

People are saying the sensor on the wheel or cable might be bad....