Spyder Garage

Default Any reviews on After market trailer hitches?

I looking to order a after market hitch and wiring harness for my Spyder probably from Value Accessories any reviews on this hitch or maybe a different hitch from a another company. And is it true that the oem trailer wiring harness will only work on the Can am trailer.

Spyder Garage

I use the canamspyderaccessories.com hitch and the valueaccessories wiring harness. I use the 5 pin plug version and I have been very happy with both. The Hitch is easy to remove yet rock steady when mounted. The harness was plug and play.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do a search on this site. Aftermarket hitches have failed. Not all but some. Never heard of an OEM hitch to fail. Check out OEM construction and welds as compared to aftermarket. The differences are obvious. Aftermarket wiring could be ok. That hitch is going to take on every service defect on the road just the same as the rear tire, but there is no flex in the hitch mount. It's directly mounted to the axle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Oem hitch harness& module was good for maybe a year, (hardly used)then R R blinker went out on bike & was found to be the harness. Replaced with one from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTROL-MOD...-127632-2357-0.
    Been good so far mostly just pulling small utility trailer with riding mower. do like the hitch for additional reason like the Packitrack F8AE1978-FF04-4E19-BF37-E2C1E174C935.jpeg allows for more than normal storage & less than trailer. Convenient -weather resistant, & can come in hotel room easily. Hitch acted as a crumple zone when was clipped by out of control car. 2E5DC8A5-0890-439E-9E68-D063E08237B2.jpeg saved saddle bag & frame
    (maybe cause of harness fail but that was & is undamaged)
    Oem hitch ball was a pain to remove surprisingly was the one set of threads that did not have lock tight Think BRP trailers all use 4pin square After 2010. Not restricted to BRP harness, can DIY Adapter from square to flat or Vice versa just know the wire configuration.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-23-2021 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

For our 2021 RTL, I bought a WeiSen hitch via Amazon and have been very pleased so far. Added Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts 5 pin wiring harness and Uni-go connector. Cut the upright verticle receiver section off of my Uni-go adapter left over from the GL1800. Bored a 7/8" hole in it and attached it with a good 7/8" bolt and nut. Solid setup to pull our Uni-go trailer. BTW, this hitch does not really mount to the axle. It mounts to the swing arm with a bolt through the hollow axle to help keep it clamped tight. We pulled it over back roads, construction, city bypasses (thanks, Chattanooga) to Birmingham and back with no issues. A ball-mount two-wheeled trailer should pull just as well. The WeiSen is no longer available on Amazon, but they have similar. It installed very easily.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I had one on my 2016 RT for 5 yrs without any issues. I ordered the 4 flat harness and hitch from canamaccessories.com. When I got the 2021 RT I ordered a BRP setup with the purchase of the bike. I can't see any reason for a hitch to be double the cost just because it has a BRP logo on it.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I can't see any reason for a hitch to be double the cost just because it has a BRP logo on it.
    Hmmmm.....maybe they learned this from another well known, popular motorcycle manufacturer?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    For our 2021 RTL, I bought a WeiSen hitch via Amazon and have been very pleased so far. Added Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts 5 pin wiring harness and Uni-go connector. Cut the upright verticle receiver section off of my Uni-go adapter left over from the GL1800. Bored a 7/8" hole in it and attached it with a good 7/8" bolt and nut. Solid setup to pull our Uni-go trailer. BTW, this hitch does not really mount to the axle. It mounts to the swing arm with a bolt through the hollow axle to help keep it clamped tight. We pulled it over back roads, construction, city bypasses (thanks, Chattanooga) to Birmingham and back with no issues. A ball-mount two-wheeled trailer should pull just as well. The WeiSen is no longer available on Amazon, but they have similar. It installed very easily.
    Would you mind posting up a few pics of what you did to get your Uni-go GL1800 adapter to work with your hitch? I've got an old Uni-go setting in the corner and was thinking about how to get it to work with my 2019 RTL.

Any issues towing it behind the Spyder, other than the usual backing it up?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=Trailer+hitch (See #9)

There are so many posts on trailer hitches that reading them all will drive you crazy. However, the consensus is that the BRP hitch is the safer way to go. Not the cheaper but the safer.

Spyder Garage

Ordered the hitch from Value Accessories heavy duty made with 3/8 inch steel , don't think I will put it on until spring . Now I just need to find a little popup motorcycle camping trailer.

Spyder Garage

look at timeout campers
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    Would you mind posting up a few pics of what you did to get your Uni-go GL1800 adapter to work with your hitch? I've got an old Uni-go setting in the corner and was thinking about how to get it to work with my 2019 RTL.

Any issues towing it behind the Spyder, other than the usual backing it up?

Thanks
    I'll have to take some. Was pretty easy (well, I did work up a sweat with the hack saw) just whacking the horizontal bar right after the square vertical tube, boring a hole the same size as the hitch ball hole (I used a metal cutting hole saw in my mini mill), drop a bolt through and a nut & lock washer under to tighten it up. Then I bored a 1/4" hole through both and drove a roll pin through them to keep it from pivoting on the bolt. Pulled beautifully and you can actually see it better than behind the GL1800. But still a problem to back. Use a five wire adapter as it needs that for the Uni-go.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have close to 5000 miles on an aftermarket hitch and wiring kit from Ebay so far no issues at all.
    2017 RT SE6 , Trailer hitch & wiring WHITE

Spyder Garage

Satisfied with my Show Chrome
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I'm considering getting a tow behind trailer for suitcases, etc. but don't want to pay the exorbitant BRP pricing on their trailers. any ideas on what brands work just fine for a lot less money than BRP wants? then I obviously will need a reasonably priced hitch and harness too. tks
    BIG F

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Satisfied with my Show Chrome

Had a show chrome on the 2015, towed a bunkhouse and then a aspen camper for 5 years. 5,000 miles per trip, give or take a little each year, and it worked great.
    Have a show chrome on the 2020 and only one cycle trip towing the aspen camper, no probles with it.
    I use a 7way plug because I have breaks on the trailer and batteries for light, fan, ect. that charge as I ride. 20210615_205012.jpg20210615_204957.jpg20210615_205021.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post

towed a aspen camper for 5 years. 5,000 miles per trip,
    I had never heard of an Aspen Trailer so I checked the Aspen web site. They are really cool little trailers and light too. Unfortunately Aspen has stopped making campers in 2020.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE