GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st ride & a question

Just completed my first ryde on my new Spyder! Fairly short to get the feel for it.

I was "bike rusty" and nervous. I'm still a bit iffy in turns (was on a two-wheeler, also).

Taking a break and then we are heading on another short ryde to get dinner.

My hubby rode her first - and found that the wind seems to re-adjust our mirrors from his chosen placement. Anyone have this issue? Any fix for it? Wondering if there might be something that needs tightened.
    Can the mirrors be unbolted & adjusted for better visibility (neither of us is an Olive Oyl) or should we invest in the extensions?

What kind of benefit would we get from a sway bar?

Another thing I find I don't like - a cosmetic issue...the big gray/silver console. It really sticks out like a sore thumb. Need to find a cover of some sort.
    ~Janice

Spyder Garage

welcome !!

On the mirrors, the mounting bolt can be tightened, using the torx (star) screwdriver in the tool kit. That will usually keep them in place.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and welcome

The sway bar helps reduce body roll in the turns if you are an aggressive rider.
    09 SM5 Phantom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and welcome

The sway bar will help you take corners more aggressively.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I don't think the sway bar will do anything for you until you have several hundered miles under your belt. Note, on the Spyder, you have to put your weight on the outside wheel on the corners - not the inside, like a two wheeler. When you get a feel for the Spyder, you can be quite aggressive in the twisties... it's also VERY important to adjust your shocks for you and your riding style. They are probably set on the softest setting - and that's just wrong.

I agree with the tightening comment - just wait until you get the extensions (and you really should).

There are lots of good comments on this forum about farkles - just buy them to match your steed to you and your riding style.

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

The mirror stalks should be all the way forward, and tight enough that they won't move at all. The adjustment is suppose to be in the mirrors themselves. You may need a torx socket and a ratchet. The driver in the toolkit may not be enough. The need for extensions depends on the riders. If you see only your hands or shoulders, you may need some.

If you haven't done it already, put a little extra air in the front tires. Most of us like to run 18-20 front and 26-30 rear. You may need to adjust the front shock pre-load, too, but be careful. They break easily. Do a search here for cautions and methods, or let the dealer break (adjust) them. Lean into the turns. Think of it as kissing the knuckle on your inside hand. I also suggest some parking lot practice. Nice course and instructions in the manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with all the comments on the mirrors and the air pressure in front. Don't put to much in as the bike starts feeling like it wants to dart around. As for the "tank" area they have a nice tank bag that breaks it up and is very useful. Or you can put graphics on there are a lot of good graphic kits. get as wild as you want. My bike is silver and black or used to be.

Spyder Garage

Default More info on the darting??

I just bought a used 09 SE5. It has 1300 mi on it. To me that's new! I'm running 18 fr and 28 rear and it darts around seriously due to wind, uneven road surfaces, etc. Feels like an old car with worn out tires. What should I try next. On cars, lower front tire psi causes less responsive steering. Would a Spyder do the same. I might try it. It feels like the front needs more caster to keep it centered.

Anybody else have this experience?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I just bought a used 09 SE5. It has 1300 mi on it. To me that's new! I'm running 18 fr and 28 rear and it darts around seriously due to wind, uneven road surfaces, etc. Feels like an old car with worn out tires. What should I try next. On cars, lower front tire psi causes less responsive steering. Would a Spyder do the same. I might try it. It feels like the front needs more caster to keep it centered.

Anybody else have this experience?
    First suggestion, loosen your grip on the bars. A lot of us had this problem when we started and it was mostly due to trying to overcontrol the Spyder. If that is not successful, if the problem is severe, or if the tires show unusual wear, I'd suspect something worn or loose in the front end, or possibly improper toe in. This behavior not a common problem once you get used to the Spyder, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestion. I rode a Goldwing trike for the last 8 yrs and know about loosening the grip especially over rough spots like RR tracks. This Spyder has the Can Am accessory grips and they are way too small for my hands. I'm buying larger grips ASAP and will take notice of that. I've ridden it less than 200 miles but plan to get out this weekend and hit some mountain roads. Practice may do the trick.

Spyder Garage

Yep! The Spyder is a twitchy critter if you try to over control it. I had a lot of trouble with that until I learned to relax and let my Spyder do the work.

You got to relax. I didn't realize it at first but my hands, wrists, and forearms got tired quickly. That was my 1st clue.

Coming from a long life on 2 wheelers I had some struggles early and hated the Spyder.

Now my M109R sits in the garage gathering dust.

Go figure!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with the advise you got here. My 2 cents is that you should give the Spyder a few hundred miles before you start changing things. Very little of your previous expiriences, riding or driving carries to the Spyder but you get use to its uniqueness really quick.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree too with what’s been said about over steering. I have 2000 miles on mine and I still have my good days and bad days with trying to over control it. I must admit it seems like a tough ride to get a consistent feel on but I am sure it will come in time. I also think that because the seating position puts a great deal of hand pressure on the bars this causes folks like me with no "crotch rocket" experience to over control. I believe that when I finally pull the bars back to a more "normal" position for me this will help.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Lovin' My Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Weight on the Outside in the turn??

Dragonrider you mentioned putting your weight on the outside of the turn unlike 2 wheels. What is that about?

It kinda makes some sense to ensure that outside wheel is getting maximum traction, but forgive me if i feel keeping myself on the bike is more important.

I am interested in hearing more on this. I am 220 lbs. and drive somewhat aggressively as I learn the charecteristics of my . In a hard turn though it takes a lot of strength to hold on at times and if i threw my weight to the outside I would surely be sitting on the side of the road and watching my leaving me behind.

Spyder Garage

welcome and on your new !
    David
    McKinney, TX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmiley View Post
    Dragonrider you mentioned putting your weight on the outside of the turn unlike 2 wheels. What is that about?

It kinda makes some sense to ensure that outside wheel is getting maximum traction, but forgive me if i feel keeping myself on the bike is more important.

I am interested in hearing more on this. I am 220 lbs. and drive somewhat aggressively as I learn the charecteristics of my . In a hard turn though it takes a lot of strength to hold on at times and if i threw my weight to the outside I would surely be sitting on the side of the road and watching my leaving me behind.
    I agree with you - actually just like a motorcycle - if riding fast/aggressive into a turn your weight should be transferred into the turn to avoid lifting the front tire and danger (although Nanny will/should save you). This technique is also noted in your owners manual.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCat View Post
    Just completed my first ryde on my new Spyder! Fairly short to get the feel for it.

I was "bike rusty" and nervous. I'm still a bit iffy in turns (was on a two-wheeler, also).
    Loosen your grip a bit and relax.
    Taking a break and then we are heading on another short ryde to get dinner.

My hubby rode her first - and found that the wind seems to re-adjust our mirrors from his chosen placement. Anyone have this issue? Any fix for it? Wondering if there might be something that needs tightened.
    Can the mirrors be unbolted & adjusted for better visibility (neither of us is an Olive Oyl) or should we invest in the extensions?
    Mirrors have to be tighten very tight at the torxs screw on the mirror stalk
    What kind of benefit would we get from a sway bar?
    One of the best mods i have done to date would have to be the Sway Bar upgrade in addition to upping tire pressure (20 front, 30 rear ) and setting shocks to the max.
    Most of our rides are two-up and the will corner so much better now.
    Another thing I find I don't like - a cosmetic issue...the big gray/silver console. It really sticks out like a sore thumb. Need to find a cover of some sort.
    ~Janice
    I removed my console, sanded with steelwool and painted it low luster black
    Happy Owner