Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a deer

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are OK, I almost hit a group of deer when I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. I was going up 233 on a drive through the Michaux Forest when I caught the glow of their eyes just off the side of the road before they crossed. A group of 8 of them.

Now is the time of year to watch out for the deer, it is rutting season.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Have a couple questions. Dropped it off. Shop says they have to take all the pictures, determine damage and come up with preliminary parts/ labor etc cost for insurance. It usually takes 2 -3 days for State Farm’s to return with either fix or total. Shop said they have seen things totaled with less damage but admits it looks darn good for being hit by a deer! So here is what I have experienced and have been told by State Farm. If they total the bike, I have full replacement coverage. They will find the average selling cost in the surrounding area that compares to my bike and usually add a bit. They also have a formula to punch in for the KBB which is why it actually adds a bit they say. Take the original cost and add that in. Take the new cost and add that in. My guess is they will come back with 18-20K because of high demand right now.
    I don't know about state farm but progressive paid out almost $10K to have my 2020 F3 re-framed after my accident in June. To quote my adjuster "Wow , I didn't know these things were worth this much now". Plus I had about $3k of accessories they were going to have to pay off on if they did total it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

They are bouncing around Wisconsin too... glad you are safe. Everyone watch out for deer. 'Tis the season. Falalalala.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They replaces the frame and all of the plastic, looks like brand new.

Fitment is only as good as you make the shop get it, look it over after the repair and point out any problems. There were a few minor ajustments on mine after repair and it looks awesome.

There was $12,000.00 in repaires.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I don't know about state farm but progressive paid out almost $10K to have my 2020 F3 re-framed after my accident in June. To quote my adjuster "Wow , I didn't know these thing were worth this much now". Plus I had about $3k of accessories they were going to have to pay off on if they did total it.

The lady last night at State Farm’s said if they have to rebuild/ repair it, its totally covered with no deductible up to the value of the bike! Everything. If the value exceeds the original purchase price it automatically is totaled. If additional work needs done above and beyond the quote its covered. She looked up the value and luckily mine still says $29999 new which no one ever paid back then. They didn’t ask what I paid for it so I’m not offering any info, She said the same. “Wow” way more than she expected.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

The lady last night at State Farm’s said if they have to rebuild/ repair it, its totally covered with no deductible up to the value of the bike! Everything. If the value exceeds the original purchase price it automatically is totaled. If additional work needs done above and beyond the quote its covered. She looked up the value and luckily mine still says $29999 new which no one ever paid back then. They didn’t ask what I paid for it so I’m not offering any info, She said the same. “Wow” way more than she expected.
    Glad to hear you're basically ok. Just prepare yourself for the probability that you'll need to get a lawyer involved. The insurance company will try to lowball you.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I almost hit a deer on the home farm in central Idaho last week, but the tractor was too slow!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Glad to hear you are OK, I almost hit a group of deer when I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. I was going up 233 on a drive through the Michaux Forest when I caught the glow of their eyes just off the side of the road before they crossed. A group of 8 of them.

Now is the time of year to watch out for the deer, it is rutting season.
    Yes it is rutting season most places so deer moving about day and night frequently. Our local paper publishes deer car collisions and the rate is going up, mostly during dark morning or evening hours so far. I hit a deer with my '21 RT near Pagosa Springs, CO in June and damage was only $850 with a $250 deductible. Was lucky not worse or on two wheels. The deer jumped just before impact and took off my right side mirror and bent throttle handle slightly. I also wear a Tech-Air vest and since there was no major impact nor me leaving the bike it did not inflate. I am glad you are ok!!

Spyder Garage

Wmoater, In my experience: #4 Netting inside saddle bag and trunk to secure storage for old 2017 will fit a new 2020+RT

No. I have purchased some of these and they are not a direct fit, not saying it cant be done, just not a easy fit.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Wmoater, glad to hear you are alright. Sounds like the Spyder held up well to the blow from the deer. Glad it protected you.
    I have the same Spyder and good to hear it held together. Good luck with the repairs and dealing with insurance adjusters,
    that can be fun.. please let us know what the dealer says and what the insurance decides to do for you.
    Best of luck!
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    Wmoater, glad to hear you are alright. Sounds like the Spyder held up well to the blow from the deer. Glad it protected you.
    I have the same Spyder and good to hear it held together. Good luck with the repairs and dealing with insurance adjusters,
    that can be fun.. please let us know what the dealer says and what the insurance decides to do for you.
    Best of luck!
    Artie
    Please let us know how everything turns out.
    Glad you are doing well.
    Hopefully this problem will work out well for you. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If they total it, I do not know how much stuff they will let you strip down off it! You may want to check with them so your efforts aren't wasted and have to fork them back over! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Glad you rode away unharmed to tell the story. Good luck on next steps.

Spyder Garage

Bambi flopped around the stood up hopped over ditch and stood there looking at me for a minute or so. I have blood and fir but I’m guessing she’ll survive till hunting season!
    If your Spyder looks like the one in your avatar and the rut on. Maybe she was looking for a little action.
    Glad to hear you are ok and things work out with the Spyder.
    Bikes can be replaced, people can't.

Spyder Garage

NO frame damage! Estimation from shop is $3466 and state farm has accepted the appraisal and it will be paid in full. No deductible since it was recorded as a deer stuck and the pictures provided the evidence. Shop is 4-5 weeks out but said most if not all the major parts look to be in stock. After completion if extra items/ damage are discovered or I need them to fine tune or replace then a supplementary payment can be made. This can be done up to completion date and 30 days after. Due to parts shortages there is no required finished date. I’m picking it up Monday and should get a pretty good idea then what is being replaced. So far so good. If it’s only plastic, housing etc I feel I can or fine tune if I’m not happy with their work on the second go around.

Spyder Garage

Well let the good times begin………….. Yep “NO” problems with insurance at all. Go figure that was the easiest part. They agreed to pay in full. NOW……………The dealer started ripping it apart more since it was approved on Saturday this morning and find another $1000 if not more damage that was not recorded in the estimate. State Farm will make a supplement and pay “no problems” the lady says at State Farm’s, but I got a feeling this is going to keep happening. I can’t take the spyder home (its in half the pieces now) They need to take new pictures and the insurance needs to approve the supplement. I wish they would have stripped it down all the way first then they’d know in one or two rounds. But they say they have to strip, get approval, strip and get more approval again. Now its going to be pushed into a corner for weeks till they can get to it. Pieces will get lost, broken or they’ll push it outside into the rain. That’s why I offered to take it home till they start on it to free up their space and guarantee its not left out in the weather. They said 4-5 weeks anyway which is fine but my gut is telling me once the parts come…. Bet they tear into it farther and find more parts…… Then I have to wait again for approval and estimates And the cycle will continue. I am sure it will be completed and done correctly after I keep looking at it. I jsut need to wait and see. I have till next April anyway. Snow coming tomorrow- Friday! Anyone have this happen? Step, approve, step, approve, step approve finished!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If they find enough additional problems insurance company may well decide to total it. That would be better for you, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the outcome will go very well for you. Nowhere near totaled.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

State Farm’s said I need close to $14000 more worth of damage to automatically total unless there is something unsafe found like frame damage or unsafe repair decided upon the dealer. I drove it to work and home after the wreck and I didn’t feel anything different. It’s all plastic. The deer contacted from top of frunk up, not a scratch below accept the fender the front legs hit first that started the front over back roll of the deer. I agree frogdave, they aren’t going to total. Just have to wait and see. I’m not really worried about getting it back anytime soon since I won’t ride again for a long while just want to see the final/fixed product.

Spyder Garage

Glad it's getting fixed for you! And, nice to know the Spyder can take a licking and keep on ticking.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I hit a deer with my pick-up around 3 years ago and had about $3000 in repairs that needed to be done. Covered by insurance of course and made a good clip on my dash cam.

I can just imagine hitting one with a trike. If it was a motorcycle you would have dumped it and probably been hurt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    I hit a deer with my pick-up around 3 years ago and had about $3000 in repairs that needed to be done. Covered by insurance of course and made a good clip on my dash cam.

I can just imagine hitting one with a trike. If it was a motorcycle you would have dumped it and probably been hurt.
    t-boned one when on 2 wheels. I went over the bars - missing windshield and superman slid. Bruised hip, dead deer and totaled bike. Glove palms torn open but missed skin, torn jacket & pants.
    ATGATT!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The dealer finally got everything stripped down last Wednesday and State Farm approved everything in 24 hours. The dealer filed for 3 suplimental claims. State Farm said go ahead and rip it apart all the way the first time but the dealer didn’t want to listen and get stung if they totaled it. I see their point but 3 weeks is to long in my opinion. Anyway it’s ripped down to the frame now and ready to go. There is only plastic and lights needed replaced. $7392 is the final appraisal. They can still file for more once it’s starting to repaired. Everything is on order and all the parts will be here next Tuesday accept one piece of plastic under the glovebox around the steering column. 2 weeks till shipped for that part. Sort of need that piece first. Go figure! The brake switch needs replaced not lighting. The shock switch too. Everything from the hood to the seat being replaced including both fogs because they’re scratched up, the windshield and wings, all dash covers, one speaker, plastic wrapping back to seat and glove box and of course the missing mirrored and headlights. The main side panel with the 45 degree push pins some how broke both push pins. Dang when one piece gets jammed back everything stayed together and broke every tab. Anyway quick question for those that have had extensive repairs. I have BEST warranty till 6 of 2023. I asked the dealer this same question, but I thought I’d ask you all too. Is everything still covered under the warranty after repairs. He said yes because it’s an authorized dealer. Does everyone agree? I loaded everything up in my covered trailer and brought it home. Dealer has no space to keep in during the day and I’ll be darned if it sits stripped down outside in the snow. As is I already know it hasn’t been moved for a while. The battery was sluggish and when I put it into gear NO clunk. That means it’s been outside in rain and snow this entire week and the weeks before. Noticed some of my LED fender lights are flickering. When the parts come in I’ll take it up for the day. The Next weekend after fixed I’ll head south into southern Virginia or farther for a weekend ride to beat her up a bit and test everything. I have 30 days after repair for additional repairs.

Spyder Garage

My guess would be that if it is deemed repairable by the authorized BRP dealer, and not totaled, that the B.E.S.T. warranty would remain firmly in effect.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with the insurance agent. Good news, I guess for the time being. All the parts ($7000 plus worth) are in except the right fog light. If you read elsewhere, that part was produced and the semi the part is in is missing. Now the part is on backorder and will not be produced for a while. Insurance company gave the “OK” to have the entire spyder taken apart and assembled “with” all the new parts and use the existing cracked fog light till it comes in. As long as it is not turned on, it will pass inspection so they are going to pay for it to be totally fixed, then remove the necessary plastic to install the “new” fog light when it comes in as a supplement. The dealer can get me in one week right now. In another couple weeks it will be pushed back due to all the new SXS, wheelers, bikes etc coming in so now is the time. I am also afraid there will still be parts needed once the entire bike is stripped down so if I wait for the part to come in ( April 27-May 17th) then wait for 3 weeks to get it put back together, then wait another week for more parts to come in it will be mid to late June. The insurance company also said I don’t sign anything till the final labor is done. So this will give me at least 30 days to rip it apart on the road and see any problems, then another 30 days after signing to make sure of things. Been a long process I must admit. I do have to say State Farms has been very easy to work with. I have totaled a couple mountain sleds and never had any problems with them either. So the horror stories have not come true for me “SO FAR” knock on wood. DON’T HIT A DEER and HURT YOUR FOG LIGHTS! That’s my advice!

The saga continues………..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: accept = except ;-)