Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a deer

Spyder Garage

Default Hit a deer

Yesterday morning at 7:00 the moon was beautiful on the way to work. As a car was approaching it was still dark and as I focused forward, I never say it. A deer darted just in front of the on coming car and walloped me. I can’t believe the car didn’t hit it first. It hit my left tire, must have rolled up my windshield, one leg just missed my head and flipped front over back. I kept her straight, put my hand up and deflected the blow. The on coming car never saw it, I couldn’t see because of the lights in my eyes from her car and the car behind me saw nothing but deer and reflection of jacket. She never saw the deer until it hit me. All safe! A bit sore for it jammed me pretty hard against my back rest. I picked up the parts, magic mirrors totally destroyed, looked the bike over and drove it to work 3 miles away. Once it got light, I went out to see the damage. I can’t believe it! Beside the blood and hair not a scratch, dent or crack to the hood, nose or any main plastic! There’s a broken tip of fender and white fender light lense cracked along with side LED lights cracked. But all the lights still work. Head light still works but the entire lense is smashed out on both sides. The windshield is perfectly fine not a scratch. The arms didn’t even brake. A-arm plastic is busted on left side top and bottom where the shock goes in. Looking at it, it doesn’t even look like I hit anything. THEN I SEE A PROBLEM…………… front trunk will not latch. The plastic is pushed all the way into the lenses but the latch didn’t move just the plastic hood. The entire steering column plastic and dash is pushed back so far the glove box will not open and the seat will not rise. The glove box is jammed again the seat. The side panels are about and 1/2 to far back. But everything moved the 1/2 inch. The spacing looks fine just everything moved 1/2 back! The radiator has no leaks and it runs perfect with no codes etc. Is it possible that all the plastic moved towards the seat as one unit or is the frame bent somewhere? Insurance is paying for everything. No detectable since it was a deer. Only problem is I have to take it to the closest dealer! They will do an appraisal and submit but it has to be done by an approved can am dealer. Once I get the diagnosis of the repairs I will decide what’s next. I think I can take it elsewhere but not sure. If it is totaled then we’ll decide. I take it in tonight! I can’t believe it. Even my spot lights, which are completely open and exposed didn’t even get broken or bent. Nothing obvious but the headlight lenses. Just everything jammed back towards the seat. Maybe once all the plastic is removed and all the clips and plasticreplaced it will snap back into place. I don’t think so but we will see. Anyone have same thing happen before?

I can say one thing……….. The spyder hit her hard and I never even flinched. On a bike it would have been a different story. She held together like a tank! I’ve had sleds messed up more than this and not hitting half as hard. Same for the wheeler! 3 wheels is the real thing and they are build very well!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are ok and the Spyder took the hit without allowing you to loose control
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok. Mine was july of 2020, same thing, sounds like some of the same damage.
    Took olmost 6 months to get parts and make repairs.
    Did not want to lose a riding season so I purchased a 2020.

Spyders are awesome!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hope later tonight and tomorrow all remains OK. Mechanical parts can be fixed or replaced, human parts are iffy. Hang in there.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK. Nowadays,with the high cost of repairs, it doesn’t take much for an insurance company to say a vehicle is totaled. My son had a two year old Kia when he hit a deer, and it demolished one headlight and the supporting structure, but the car drove fine and looked pretty decent. They paid off as a “totaled”.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you are OK!!!! Hope your insurance will cover the repairs. We have deer here also. I see them in my yard and dead by the side of the road---------------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Same thing happened to me, but missed hitting the deer.
    I was blinded by the head lights glare of a on coming car and never saw the deer until it was too late to do anything like breaking sooner or breaking hard.
    All I saw when the car passed and I could see again was a tail missing my rear view mirror.

Glad your OK and the spyder stayed together until you could get to a safe stop.
    It just shows that there built strong enough to take a hit and still keep you safe.
    It's stories like this that show how safe it is to ride a can am spyder.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Hope later tonight and tomorrow all remains OK. Mechanical parts can be fixed or replaced, human parts are iffy. Hang in there.
    ..... sending .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, glad you are OK. Take care and hope for quick repairs.

Spyder Garage

Those of you who had front end damage ( plastic pushed back) did the repairs come out good or can you tell it was repaired? I’m just worried about frunk hinge not working right or the glove box sticking etc. after repaired. I drove it to work and home last night and I must say there is “no” and I mean no vibrations or feel of out of alignment. The steering is fine its just the plastic pushed is all pushed back. It only had 29000 miles but like everyone said I am happy I wasn’t hurt. The bike can be repaired or replaced. What was the fit and finish like after repaired? A car you can usually never tell but is totally different than plastic spyder.

Spyder Garage

What part of PA are you located in and what dealer are you having do the service?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Sorry to hear, glad you are OK. Take care and hope for quick repairs.
    Thanks Saluda! Funny thing is I bought the spyder to take a break from off trail riding after I got hit 2 years ago. Wife just shook her head. Glad I was wearing my good jacket and helmet even though I feel this was a minor mishap. It could have been much worse but I am very happy with the spyders build for sure!

Spyder Garage

I have to go to “Off-road express” in Erie.

Spyder Garage

It's way better for the bike to take the punishment instead of you. Glad you came out the other end in good shape.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are all right. Keep us posted about the repair situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Very happy that you are ok and the bike faired relatively well in the collision.

How did Bambi fare?

Spyder Garage

Must be something in the atmosphere. My son hit a deer yesterday morning. Truck smashed, he's OK. Don't know about the deer.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK, seems like it would be best to let your insurance total it. If they low ball you, tell them to find a comparable used one. I see Spyders of your vintage going for really high asking prices.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear about your wreck , but very glad you are ok ... there are a LOT of deer here too.... but I just have have hit one...Yet !

Spyder Garage

Man. I'm awful glad you are OK, Wmoater! Hope you succeed in getting repairs made soon.

When I was weighing the pros and cons of acquiring a Spyder (versus staying with my motorcycle), stories like yours were high on my list of pros.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    Very happy that you are ok and the bike faired relatively well in the collision.

How did Bambi fare?
    Bambi flopped around the stood up hopped over ditch and stood there looking at me for a minute or so. I have blood and fir but I’m guessing she’ll survive till hunting season!

Spyder Garage

So glad your ok! Bikes fix!

Spyder Garage

Tis the season for deer (not that it's a whole lot different the rest of the year).
    Glad you won that round. I did my part to reduce the Pa deer population 2 years ago about this time on 2 wheels. Score: Ray 1 -- deer and bike 0. They totaled a $23k 3 month old bike with ~3k worth of repairs. Friend is an ins estimator and said they almost always total them now. Liability concerns if something is missed and crash ensues.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Good that your OK, the rest is just nuts and bolts that can be fixed!! From what your saying you will have some nuts and bolt to fix, untill you strip her down you will never know the true damage done here. GOOD LUCK Keep us posted!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Have a couple questions. Dropped it off. Shop says they have to take all the pictures, determine damage and come up with preliminary parts/ labor etc cost for insurance. It usually takes 2 -3 days for State Farm’s to return with either fix or total. Shop said they have seen things totaled with less damage but admits it looks darn good for being hit by a deer! So here is what I have experienced and have been told by State Farm. If they total the bike, I have full replacement coverage. They will find the average selling cost in the surrounding area that compares to my bike and usually add a bit. They also have a formula to punch in for the KBB which is why it actually adds a bit they say. Take the original cost and add that in. Take the new cost and add that in. My guess is they will come back with 18-20K because of high demand right now. They will then ask for a list of accessories and “add no” more than $2000 on total with proof of pricing. No problem there due to our site sponsor websites. So if they should come back with 22K. I have way more than $2000 accessories just in shocks, Bar and LED lights, heated and gel seat, extra rear trunk shock. I may remove accessories that are over priced or easy parts to remove without hurting the integrity of the bike is allowed. No tires, exhaust, engine performance parts, tie rods, shocks, etc. may be removed. I don’t know if they will total it but want to be prepared for a quick uninstall in one night if needed. So here we go. Newer RT owners can you answer this please

#1 lid lox on older 2017 RT will they Fit on new 2020+ RT?
    #2 spyder cuff older 2017 RT will it fit on new 2020+RT?
    #3 Magic mirror components for old 2017 RT will it fit on new 2020+ RT? ( have all the parts just mirror housings are destoyed)
    #4 Netting inside saddle bag and trunk to secure storage for old 2017 will fit a new 2020+RT
    #5 revco spot lights I can install on new RT for sure
    #6 Spyder accessories floating boards/pegs can not fit on new RT but can be removed. OEM floor board and passenger still installed
    #7 Spyder pops skitplate. I know it can’t be transferred to new RT but not a scratch and still works fine.
    #8 Knots grills are fine. Can’t be used but can be sold.