Spyder Garage

Default 2017 Spyder F3-T SM6 suddenly going into Reverse!! Help?!?

Hello,
    I recently purchased a used 2017 Can Am Spyder (SM6). Has anyone experienced a problem whereby all of a sudden the F3 will go into reverse while shifting from neutral to 1st gear (without pressing the “R” button)? I literally almost reversed into the car behind me as they were coming towards me. Scary!

Thank you
    PJM
    2017 F3-T , Brake extension and "3rd peg" Matte Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jmack View Post
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a used 2017 Can Am Spyder (SM6). Has anyone experienced a problem whereby all of a sudden the F3 will go into reverse while shifting from neutral to 1st gear (without pressing the “R” button)? I literally almost reversed into the car behind me as they were coming towards me. Scary!

Thank you
    PJM
    I have never heard about an SM6 ( manual trans. ) having a reverse button..... the only "R" button on any Spyder I have seen is the SE transmission model...... Hope someone can help you .... Mike ....PS &
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2021 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Removed extra ['s ;-)

Spyder Garage

The R button is to release the reverse lockout feature.
    If you were able to shift past first gear into reverse without pressing the R button
    then your reverse lockout feature isn’t working properly and needs to be serviced.
    The Spyders with a R button probably controls a solenoid that releases the lockout.
    My 08 SM5 has a manual pull lever that releases the reverse lockout.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have never heard about an SM6 ( manual trans. ) having a reverse button..... the only "R" button on any Spyder I have seen is the SE transmission model...... Hope someone can help you .... Mike ....PS &
    Ok thank you for responding.

Spyder Garage

Thank you YPilot!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The SM6 on my 2014 RT had a reverse button. But I never had an issue with it jumping into reverse on it's on. Just like the SE6 on my 2016 F3T, it has to be depressed before it will go into reverse. Not sure what the problem could be. Have you had it to repeat the issue multiple times?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The SM6 on my 2014 RT had a reverse button. But I never had an issue with it jumping into reverse on it's on. Just like the SE6 on my 2016 F3T, it has to be depressed before it will go into reverse. Not sure what the problem could be. Have you had it to repeat the issue multiple times?
    Glad you chimed in on this ...... My last manual trans Spyder was 10 yrs ago so it might have had a " lock-out " ..... getting OLD su*ks ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thanks BL,
    There is no rhyme or reason to it but I would say it happened 7 to 8 time on my 450 mile trip home. Always when I was stopped in neutral and shifting to 1st.
    PJM

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jmack View Post
    Thanks BL,
    There is no rhyme or reason to it but I would say it happened 7 to 8 time on my 450 mile trip home. Always when I was stopped in neutral and shifting to 1st.
    PJM
    That definitely deserves a trip to the local service center. I have never heard of that happening before. As for me, when I had my SM6 and even on all my 2 wheelers, I keep my bike in gear when at a stop. I tend to want to be ready to pull off in the event that I spot something coming up behind me or in any direction that I need to pull away in a hurry. That is just my personal preference. Rarely do I have or leave my bike in neutral.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 f3 SM6 with 57K miles. Have not had this issue. As noted above, it appears there is a problem with the reverse lockout circuit.

Lee
    Lee & Karen

2022 F3 Limited - Matte Black

F4 Customs Windshield, Lamonster Driver Backrest,
    Lamonster Fog Lights, Wrap My SPYDER Tank Protector,
    Lumina Trailer

Spyder Garage

Did you recently bottom it out over a bump or curb? The reverse lockout solenoid is the lowest part of the bike and is easily damaged. Sounds like you may have mashed it into something.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change