Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need a Seat Strut with more lift - any suggestions?

I installed an Ultimate Seat and the OEM Seat Strut will not hold up the seat when I raise it. Any suggestions as to where to purchase a replacement strut that will have a little more lift to it?

Spyder Garage

Check this thread..... see post #19 and later

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=McMaster+Carr
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I installed an Ultimate Seat and the OEM Seat Strut will not hold up the seat when I raise it. Any suggestions as to where to purchase a replacement strut that will have a little more lift to it?
    Or you can do what I did .... I replaced it with solid rod that just folds down next to the main frame ..... because I don't have the gas strut I can open my seat 4 to 5 higher, makes brake fluid checking much easier .... I popped out two of the plastic OEM pop rivets on the frame and put in a 4 to 5 in. 1/4 bolt .... this is the swing point for my rod ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Take the stock one to an auto parts shop and see if they can match it with a stronger one
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember which one, but you can get one that works really good from Lift Depot, I think it is. I did.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Nightcruiser - can you provide information as to model number on the Stabilus strut that you photographed? That would be helpful. Thank you.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Strut

Any luck on your Seat Strut issue?

My local NAPA auto store has a parts book that has been very helpful in finding similar parts.
    Give them a call and tell them what you need.

Good Luck with Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is the strut I put on my 17RTL, not sure if your pre 19 or post 20. I have 2 gel pads and heated seats. (Heavy seat) Pops it up with no problem. It’s what your looking for pre 19. (Stabilus) It’s the 30 series not the 40. Used it for 2 years and it still raises itself. SG359011 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Default Is there a Heavy Duty Seat Strut for RT's?

I just installed a BRP Backrest on my 2014 RT, now the seat wont stay up, I guess the strut is too weak to hold it up. I don't see anything about changing to a Heavy Duty Strut, is there one?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2024 at 05:17 PM. Reason: SHOUTING!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can find them .... McMaster Carr has some options for a stronger strut .... Or you can easily do what I did, and re-place the gas strut with a solid rod ... there are two push pins in the backbone of the frame that can be re-moved so a 1/4" bolt that's 1/2" long can be attached to hold the ROD which will lay alongside the frame when not in use. .... My ROD lifts the seat up 3 X's as high as the OEM strut did, this allows adding brake fluid much, much easier ..... good luck ..... Mike ..... I have pics posted in one of my Albums that shows and explains how I did it .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2024 at 05:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Do some searching here. If I can find it, there was a message years ago about replacing the strut with a 40# rated one from an auto parts store. I had to do the same on my 2016 RT when I replaced the seat. If I can find the box, I'll try to get a part number.

Spyder Garage

You can search back thru my previous posts, I think it was 2 years ago I posted all the part numbers needed for the seat and also to double up on the trunk struts. Those parts came from McMaster Carr online, very cheap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2022 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spaces
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

You can get one from Lift Supports Depot, Amazon for sure but maybe direct, but you'll have to buy it by size to match the OEM one.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-06-2022 at 04:18 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2024 at 05:20 PM.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I just use a scrap piece of 1 x 2 cut about 6 inches long.
    Lays flat on the left side under the seat when closed.
    Works great, and about as cheep as it gets.

Spyder Garage

I took mine to NAPA and asked them if they had a heavier duty one and they did. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-07-2022 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Emmy = wasn't?? ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I ordered this item from Amazon, and it fit perfectly. It has more lift than the OEM but not too much as to be problematic. Literally, just plug and play. All fittings are same as factory took less than 5 minutes to install. The Amazon details are, SACHS STABILUS GAS SPRING WINDOW (SG359011). I would order it again if I needed to replace for any reason.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had the same prob with my seat strut, couldn't refuel without holding the seat up on y 20 RTL, fortunately the dealer replaced it under warranty. That was kind of pain in the ass, the dealer lost the replacement strut, I didn't find that out out until I made the appointment, went there an waited a couple hours for them to 'hunt'. Back home and wait for them to order another one, and another wasted day. Is there anything a dealer can do right? I suppose there is.

Spyder Garage

Not to defend BRP because they do not deserve it for some of the outrageous prices they charge, but your seat strut is not too weak because you put on a BRP backrest; it is worn out. I have a Comfort Seat with BRP backrest, 77K+ miles on my Spyder. The original strut works fine and holds up the seat equally as well.
    Last edited by JayBros; 01-07-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I ordered this item from Amazon, and it fit perfectly. It has more lift than the OEM but not too much as to be problematic. Literally, just plug and play. All fittings are same as factory took less than 5 minutes to install. The Amazon details are, SACHS STABILUS GAS SPRING WINDOW (SG359011). I would order it again if I needed to replace for any reason.
    I see you have a 2019 Spyder … do you think this item would fit the heated seat for a 2021 RTLtd? I am not having a problem as yet but thought I might have it on hand just in case… Thanks.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    I see you have a 2019 Spyder … do you think this item would fit the heated seat for a 2021 RTLtd? I am not having a problem as yet but thought I might have it on hand just in case… Thanks.
    Wasn't the seat changed from one piece to two piece w/ the 2020 MY?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

My earlier post would refer to a 2019 or earlier RT and not the new model with a split seat. I was replying originally to a post from an owner of a 2014 RT. Post 2019, I have no idea. Frankly, I didn't realize that 2020 and up had a strut.

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone for the input, thanks gkamer for the video on you tube, order that strut

Spyder Garage

I got a sachs sg359011 off Ebay several years ago. They work perfect and will last way longer than the original. Just go to Ebay and do a search, $15 to $24. These are stronger then your original.
    Last edited by rick_w; 01-07-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: 'than' ;-)
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories