Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am-specific trailer stability control?

I searched, but didn't find anything, so here goes:

The description of the Freedom trailer states "Can-Am Spyder RT, ST, F3-T and F3 Limited Vehicle Stability Sytem adapts to the trailer."

Does anyone know whether this is a Freedom trailer-only thing (for example, an electronic handshake with the Spyder that tells the VSS that a Can-Am trailer is attached), or does the VSS "adapt" to any attached trailer?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    I searched, but didn't find anything, so here goes:

The description of the Freedom trailer states "Can-Am Spyder RT, ST, F3-T and F3 Limited Vehicle Stability Sytem adapts to the trailer."

Does anyone know whether this is a Freedom trailer-only thing (for example, an electronic handshake with the Spyder that tells the VSS that a Can-Am trailer is attached), or does the VSS "adapt" to any attached trailer?
    Good question! I remember my dealer telling me the same thing about the RT-622 he was showing me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Spyders with the 998 VTwin (all RS, ST, pre-2014 RT's) had a "trailer mode" that you had to manually set in the bike's settings. When trailer mode is turned on, it adjusted shift points, brake bias, and probably a few other things. I know this was for the SE's; not sure if the SM's had it as well.

Spyder's with the 1330 Triple don't need trailer mode.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Good question! I remember my dealer telling me the same thing about the RT-622 he was showing me.
    As Trbayth said it's the Spyder that has trailer mode ..... the trailer doesn't activate it ..... any trailer brand will work just fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As Trbayth said it's the Spyder that has trailer mode ..... the trailer doesn't activate it ..... any trailer brand will work just fine ..... Mike
    Great -- thanks!

I do patent work in the auto/motorcycle space, and based on my stability controls work, that was what I suspected -- but I'm not foolish enough to "assume." The knowledge here in the Collective is invaluable.