Spyder Garage

Default Chance to p/u a 2009 Roadster SE-5, 998 V-Twin - will an ECU Upgrade help??

Hey guys quick question, I have a chance to p/u a 2009 Roadster SE-5, 998 v-twin mint condition, 5k miles. I grew up on 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers and road a few dirt bikes. I love the way these handle in curves but am really concerned about the lack of power/speed that these seem to have. I have been intrigued with the info in this thread - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...mance-Upgrades - and wanted to know for those of you that have done the Monster upgrade ECU flash, did you get the stage 1or stage 2 and what have you experienced? Not a touring guy, love the sports model and would love to get up to speed quickly and not be passed by a kid on a 300 cc bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2021 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Different motor, so moved from 1330 thread shown in link. ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2008 GS would sh*t and get with most bikes on the road...In my opinion the 2008 & 2009 GS were some of the fastest Spyders...The f3's with the 1330 and the 89 tooth sprocket also run well...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midtngill View Post
    Hey guys quick question, I have a chance to p/u a 2009 Roadster SE-5, 998 v-twin mint condition, 5k miles. I grew up on 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers and road a few dirt bikes. I love the way these handle in curves but am really concerned about the lack of power/speed that these seem to have. I have been intrigued with the info in this thread - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...mance-Upgrades - and wanted to know for those of you that have done the Monster upgrade ECU flash, did you get the stage 1or stage 2 and what have you experienced? Not a touring guy, love the sports model and would love to get up to speed quickly and not be passed by a kid on a 300 cc bike.
    I owned two V-twins .... they are fast enough to make you soil your pants ...... is that fast enough ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Monster emailed me back this morning and said on those early models that do not have the electric throttle, that they can only do the stage 1 ecu reprogramming. In yall's opinion, is that going to be powerful enough or do I need to look at 2014 or newer with the 1330 engine? Actually Mike soiling my pants is fine, but If it can make me pucker my hind quarters to stay on it that would be better!

Spyder Garage

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think that you'd really enjoy a 2009 Spyder V-Twin with a Stage 1 ECU Upgrade.

But if you're really after speed & an exciting motor in a Spyder, then for my 2 bob's worth, rather than looking for a newer Spyder with the inherently lazier (albeit marginally torquier in std trim ) & less exciting 1330 motor to upgrade, then IMHO the BEST way for you to get more power, speed, & excitement is from a newer V-Twin motored Spyder - it's only the 2008-2012 Spyders that didn't have the electronic 'fly-by-wire' throttles, so you could always look for a 2013-2015/16 RS/ST (or even an RT! ) and get the Stage 2 ECU Upgrade AND the improved frame, suspension, & Brembo Brakes they came with, giving you the absofreakinlutely best of all things Spyder!!

But then, there is a very tiny chance that I may be just a little biased...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think that you'd really enjoy a 2009 Spyder V-Twin with a Stage 1 ECU Upgrade.

But if you're really after speed & an exciting motor in a Spyder, then for my 2 bob's worth, rather than looking for a newer Spyder with the inherently lazier (albeit marginally torquier in std trim ) & less exciting 1330 motor to upgrade, then IMHO the BEST way for you to get more power, speed, & excitement is from a newer V-Twin motored Spyder - it's only the 2008-2012 Spyders that didn't have the electronic 'fly-by-wire' throttles, so you could always look for a 2013-2015/16 RS/ST (or even an RT! ) and get the Stage 2 ECU Upgrade AND the improved frame, suspension, & Brembo Brakes they came with, giving you the absofreakinlutely best of all things Spyder!!

But then, there is a very tiny chance that I may be just a little biased...
    Peter, Yes Sir, that is the info I am looking for. I would prefer the sports model. Thats the "real " info I am wanting to know. I have plenty of country highways with plenty of curves around me just begging to be ridden on. Over the summer months when I see the HD boys coming down the highway in their 20+ group rides, it would be nice to see myself even with them instead of behind.

Spyder Garage

I have always flown with the saying, if you want BIG, buy big, don't buy small and try to beef it up!!! When you start doing all this doctoring on a machine you stand to mess with reliability, and I don't know about you, but I like to turn the key and feel like I can go cross country with it and know it will bring me home!! You sound like you are the kind of guy that wants BIG, so buy it out of the box, BIG!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have always flown with the saying, if you want BIG, buy big, don't buy small and try to beef it up!!! When you start doing all this doctoring on a machine you stand to mess with reliability, and I don't know about you, but I like to turn the key and feel like I can go cross country with it and know it will bring me home!! You sound like you are the kind of guy that wants BIG, so buy it out of the box, BIG!! Good luck
    Hey Mikey actually I like to learn as much about something as I can about something before I buy it. I can be somewhat of an overkill at times . I like to get the best value in a purchase. Big I am a big fan of power! I want it when I need it. Just got back from a Florida vacation and was riding some jet skis with my son, and the only question I asked was which one has the most power! The ocean was calm so the throttle was wide open. I also like no cops on the water! I haven’t been on a motorcycle in a good 20 years. I just don’t want to feel like I’m on a race track in a ho-kart!

Spyder Garage

On a slightly different track....
    An '09 with only 5K miles would more than likely have the original tires. If you do buy this one, do not ride on those long outdated donuts. Instead replace with car tires for much, much better handling. Car tires are much cheaper too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    On a slightly different track....
    An '09 with only 5K miles would more than likely have the original tires. If you do buy this one, do not ride on those long outdated donuts. Instead replace with car tires for much, much better handling. Car tires are much cheaper too.
    Thank you RICKZ that’s good advice. I’m shopping around now hoping to find a decent deal here over the winter months.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midtngill View Post
    Thank you RICKZ that’s good advice. I’m shopping around now hoping to find a decent deal here over the winter months.
    Many, including myself, have put Federal Formoza AO1 on the front. Some got them through Walmart for $51 each. General Altimax RT43 on the rear,
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Why mess with the small stuff? Instead of nickels and dimes, go big time! Just put a turbo on it and get what you really want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-N...nel=RykerRydes
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...