Spyder Garage

Default Miles on Vredestein tire on 2014 RTL

Just reporting my experience.

FYI - The Kenda rear tire that came new on the Spyder, only lasted 12,000 miles. The replacement Kenda I then put on: only lasted 14,000 miles.

After a lot of info gathering (thanks to BK911), I then replaced the rear with a Vredestein Quatrac5 rear tire - size 205/60R15. I am now replacing that first Vredestein Quatrac5 rear tire with the "latest" version Vredestein Quatrac Pro - same size.
    Note: The "V" tire I'm taking off still has 2 MM of tread left and has 23,536 miles on it.
    I expect I could go a few thousand more on it, but decided not to for my own reasons.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post

FYI - The Kenda rear tire that came new on the Spyder, only lasted 12,000 miles. The replacement Kenda I then put on: only lasted 14,000 miles.

After a lot of info gathering (thanks to BK911), I then replaced the rear with a Vredestein Quatrac5 rear tire - size 205/60R15. I am now replacing that first Vredestein Quatrac5 rear tire with the "latest" version Vredestein Quatrac Pro - same size.
    Note: The "V" tire I'm taking off still has 2 MM of tread left and has 23,536 miles on it.
    I expect I could go a few thousand more on it, but decided not to for my own reasons.
    Have you come up with a solution for getting the tires swapped out, then?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just checked at TireRack they only sell the Quatrac Pro in 17, 18,19, 20 & 21 inch diameter ...... so where did you buy yours ????? ..... Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Have you come up with a solution for getting the tires swapped out, then?
    Yes
    I will explain "where", after the work is done.
    They are also replacing Plugs, flushing Brake fluid, and doing annual Oil/filter change.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I just checked at TireRack they only sell the Quatrac Pro in 17, 18,19, 20 & 21 inch diameter ...... so where did you buy yours ????? ..... Thanks .... Mike
    My bad, Mike. I just checked my paperwork and the tire is called just QUATRAC. I looked at my paperwork and their site and indeed QUATRAC is the only one there, so I "assumed" that was it. The ad says "new" and the ratings are "high". Guess we'll see how it goes.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

My bad, Mike. I just checked my paperwork and the tire is called just QUATRAC. I looked at my paperwork and their site and indeed QUATRAC is the only one there, so I "assumed" that was it. The ad says "new" and the ratings are "high". Guess we'll see how it goes.
    I have the same tire on order from TireRack too. They told me it would be 60-90 days before they had it in stock which should be fine as I have plenty of tread left on the OE tire.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can't complain at all. You didn't get "only" the miles you did. You actually got the mileage of 3 1/2 Kendas out of 2!!!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

is there a reason most people don't buy a Car Tire the same size ??? I am a retired Mechanic , is there a different Bead on the Tire or on the inside of the wheel that would or could cause a problem using a Regular Car Tire ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    is there a reason most people don't buy a Car Tire the same size ??? I am a retired Mechanic , is there a different Bead on the Tire or on the inside of the wheel that would or could cause a problem using a Regular Car Tire ???
    The rims on Spyder's are CAR rims, not motorcycle types. The reason most of us put on a larger rear tire is to correct the speedometer error.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

ok , thats good to know , Thank You.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    The rims on Spyder's are CAR rims, not motorcycle types. The reason most of us put on a larger rear tire is to correct the speedometer error.
    Also, very few manufacturers market car tires in the US the same size as the OEM Spyder tires. If you want to use a car tire, you have to buy what's available. You can't put a 165/55/15R car tire on the front if one isn't marketed in that size!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Also, very few manufacturers market car tires in the US the same size as the OEM Spyder tires. If you want to use a car tire, you have to buy what's available. You can't put a 165/55/15R car tire on the front if one isn't marketed in that size!
    I don't know about the rear tire, but my brother-in-law has a Mazda Miata and said that the front tires are commonly used on Miatas. They apparently use slightly different sizes, based on personal preference, much like we do on the Spyders.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ..." you can't put a 165/55/15R car tire on the front if one isn't marketed in that size " ...... this makes no sense to me .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default My Quatrac 5 mileage to date

Just my latest data on my experience with the Quatrac5 on all 3 wheels over the last few years (with covid restrictions on riding.....it limited the latest rear tire total miles !!!)

This is a 2014RTL.
    I have posted the tire sizes before, and they are/were based on Blueknight recomendations.

Beginning - "32nds readings were 10 across the board. Pressures are 17psi front, and 18 psi rear.
    We ALWAYS (99.999999 % of time) ride 2 up.

Currently the fronts have 8s measured at 3 places across.
    They have 28,324 miles on them

The back measures 8s across 3 places also.
    The latest rear tire has 4,425 miles on it.

Again - jusy FYI. PS: we are currently getting 33-39 MPG (depending on "my" driving habits for the tank full - on regular gas.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Default Q-5 mileages

Thanks again for the up-date ..... it's info like this lets everyone know what mileages these tires are getting ...... Mike