Spyder Garage

Default Throttle body issues, TPI

2011 RTS SE5, 15k, TB replaced 10 months ago. About 2500 miles on unit. Starting to throw codes P1120/2620. Dealer reset perimeters with BUDS. Out of12 starts, only 2 normal. Limp mode, rpm2050, terrible. And recommendations greatly appreciated. Tks, D-Daddy

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey D. Throttle Body Replacement was typically performed based on code P1614. And once you had the latest throttle body and software for that machine, any further P1614 codes were treated by throttle body cleaning. Sometimes the throttle body was replaced based on your two codes when the warranty was still in affect, but typically wasn't successful.

Your two codes simply indicate that the throttle position that you are asking for from your right wrist, does not agree with the actual throttle position that you are getting - coming from the Throttle Position Sensor - attached to the rear end of the throttle body butterfly valve shaft. It fails its little comparison test. This is a separate component and can be replaced separately from the throttle body. So…10 months ago….did they replace your sensor when they replaced your throttle body, or reuse the old one? Was that work done because of code P1614? If the sensor was the problem all along, then just resetting the sensor in BUDS is only a temporary bandaid. A new sensor needs installed and initialized to the new throttle body.

I don’t think that I’ve ever heard of the twist grip sensor on the handlebar failing.

So, I’d be thinking about a cleaning or a throttle position sensor replacement long before I did another throttle body replacement.

Service Bulletin on P1614:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dsG...ew?usp=sharing

As an aside - some engine management systems utilize the signal from the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor - in addition to its normal job - as a reasonableness check on the throttle position sensor. Manifold absolute pressure is a general indicator of throttle position. I’ve never been able to track down if the Spyder uses this. But, I bring that up because that manifold pressure sensor is connected to the throttle bodies by rubber vacuum hoses. They had to disturb them in order to replace your throttle body unit. They should have given you new hoses. If they reused the old ones, the hoses could be damaged, thus impacting the output of the sensor.

Unfortunately, from reading back on old posts, after losing a lot of hair over this, a lot of folks solved this problem by just trading up. Good Luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Gday D,
    Common problem with them is the pins in the connector for the throttle by wire. Have the connector checked for pin continuity. It is a problem that is on the Bossweb if your using a dealer. It throws tps codes even though the tps is good.

Hope that is all it is and can be solved easily.

cheers
    Robby

Spyder Garage

Tks, was stranded 50 miles from home Friday 10-22, waited 3 hrs for it to start normal. Made it home ok. 2 hrs later same codes, back to dealer next week. Leaving it till issues are resolved. Will take your thread under advisement.

Spyder Garage

Tks Robby, will take to dealer next week, he’s only 2 months behind.