Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried VALVOLINE™ 4-STROKE FULL SYNTHETIC" Motorcycle Oil?

Been reading the current Shell T6 oil thread and thought that I would ask about this oil.

I currently run Valvoline Full Synthetic in all my other vehicles so thought why not in my Spyder.

Has anyone had any negative effects using it? It meets all the requirements listed in the owners manual and the cost per quart is reasonable at $7.37 per quart.

Has anyone had a oil analysis done using this oil? Would you mind sharing it here? Any long time users here?

I am talking about the Valvoline 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in 10w40

I also thought that I'd mention that I did call the Valvoline hotline support number but they wont make a recommendation either way as they say that Can-Am will not release any of the specs on their oil. But again it meets all the specs listed in the owners manual unless I'm missing something.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I've used it in the past. It will work just fine, with no worries.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Not sure if that oil was tested by 540rat. Of the motorcycle specific oils rated for wet clutches, 540rat found a very expensive Motul product tested well, unfortunately it is 5w30.

Mobil 1 10w40 Sportbike Oil was rated #104

Rotella T6 5w40 was rated #218

Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil, but says conventional was rated #225

Spectro 10w40 was rated #239

There were other motorcycle oils listed, either they were not 40wt or they were not wet clutch rated.

Understand also, the ranking of #104 for the Mobil 1 is in a rating list against automotive, marine, race car, and even aviation oils. Possibly there is an acceptable automotive oil in there somewhere that is good also. You just need to read, learn and decide.

A google search for 540rat will give hours of entertainment, but to be quicker about it, you can simply read the rankings of each oil he independently tests. Yes Rotella T6 5w40 is ranked also.

Spyder Garage

Valvoline is all I used in my GS, RT, and F3. JASO MA2 and good synthetic oil.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used it until I found Rotella T-6 ..... if you use re-bate, it's quite a bit less expensive ..... and it works well for me ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I used it until I found Rotella T-6 ..... if you use re-bate, it's quite a bit less expensive ..... and it works well for me ..... jmho .... Mike
    Guy that previously posted here, Spyder tech too, showed me the 540rat site.
    In a similar way they test tires and rate them fairly, this guy does the same, and independently for oils. 540rat compares each oil against his machine. The value the machine determines is where the oil is placed in the rankings. He even does testing at more than one temp and often to ultimate oil breakdown. He really has an informative blog about oil and opinions or sponsorship is not an influence.

Agree the Shell Rotella T6 does cost less than other oils.

When you see the actual numbers behind the ratings, how the oils are tested, and where they stack up, his testing is a valid test method and repeatable. Better still, as oils are changed over the years, 540rat even makes mention of this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not sure if that oil was tested by 540rat. Of the motorcycle specific oils rated for wet clutches, 540rat found a very expensive Motul product tested well, unfortunately it is 5w30.

Mobil 1 10w40 Sportbike Oil was rated #104

Rotella T6 5w40 was rated #218

Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil, but says conventional was rated #225

Spectro 10w40 was rated #239

There were other motorcycle oils listed, either they were not 40wt or they were not wet clutch rated.

Understand also, the ranking of #104 for the Mobil 1 is in a rating list against automotive, marine, race car, and even aviation oils. Possibly there is an acceptable automotive oil in there somewhere that is good also. You just need to read, learn and decide.

A google search for 540rat will give hours of entertainment, but to be quicker about it, you can simply read the rankings of each oil he independently tests. Yes Rotella T6 5w40 is ranked also.
    I searched for the 540rat postings and all the charts that I found were older and did not list the full synthetic valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil (unless I missed it) but it is nice to see where the others are listed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I searched for the 540rat postings and all the charts that I found were older and did not list the full synthetic valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil (unless I missed it) but it is nice to see where the others are listed.
    One thing in regards to 540rats blog, it is somewhat of a living document, not a published and done type document. He posts many years of testing oils results. As you scroll through, you might have noticed how some oils will have been tested say 5 years ago, then retested years later after a change is made.

When I began using 540rats oil blog there was maybe 140 total tests done. Now he has done well over 200 tests. He does not delete any as far as I can tell. Merely keeps adding to the list of oils tested. He has even had to add new performance categories as newer oils have surpassed his previous ranges of classifying the oils performance.

Agreed, I did not see the Valvoline synthetic on his results of oils tested. If available, it seems a better approach might be to use an oil he has tested, that you have access to, even if a few dollars more, provided you have no other concerns.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    One thing in regards to 540rats blog, it is somewhat of a living document, not a published and done type document. He posts many years of testing oils results. As you scroll through, you might have noticed how some oils will have been tested say 5 years ago, then retested years later after a change is made.

When I began using 540rats oil blog there was maybe 140 total tests done. Now he has done well over 200 tests. He does not delete any as far as I can tell. Merely keeps adding to the list of oils tested. He has even had to add new performance categories as newer oils have surpassed his previous ranges of classifying the oils performance.

Agreed, I did not see the Valvoline synthetic on his results of oils tested. If available, it seems a better approach might be to use an oil he has tested, that you have access to, even if a few dollars more, provided you have no other concerns.
    No other concerns, Like I posted I have used Valvoline in everything I own with no problems so just thought I'd stick to it but I am certainly open to others. I am curious if anyone here has done a used oil test on it just to see the numbers. I have researched Mobil 1, Rotella T6, Amsoil and a few others. I have roughly 800 miles to my 3000 mile service and am just trying to decide which way to go. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra but I cant see paying twice the price.

Spyder Garage

K80, just my 2 cents worth: I believe if you change oil early, say 5K or so, any JasoM2 is more than sufficient. If you intend to run the full 9K, I'd suggest a top brand like Motul, Amsoil, etc. Not knocking any of the others as I have not in recent years done any oil tests. Oil is a hot button on any forum as we all have opinions. Go with your gut and try them all. Cheers.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    K80, just my 2 cents worth: I believe if you change oil early, say 5K or so, any JasoM2 is more than sufficient. If you intend to run the full 9K, I'd suggest a top brand like Motul, Amsoil, etc. Not knocking any of the others as I have not in recent years done any oil tests. Oil is a hot button on any forum as we all have opinions. Go with your gut and try them all. Cheers.
    ..... Also consider this .... engine failure do to using a LOWER QUALITY oil vs. the HIGHEST Quality is so small it's probably meaningless. ...JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Been reading the current Shell T6 oil thread and thought that I would ask about this oil.

I currently run Valvoline Full Synthetic in all my other vehicles so thought why not in my Spyder.

Has anyone had any negative effects using it? It meets all the requirements listed in the owners manual and the cost per quart is reasonable at $7.37 per quart.

Has anyone had a oil analysis done using this oil? Would you mind sharing it here? Any long time users here?

I am talking about the Valvoline 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in 10w40

I also thought that I'd mention that I did call the Valvoline hotline support number but they wont make a recommendation either way as they say that Can-Am will not release any of the specs on their oil. But again it meets all the specs listed in the owners manual unless I'm missing something.
    I use the Valvoline 4-stroke Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10w -40 I have since 2015. I have have had any problems.

The Valvoline 4 stroke oil is formulated for the specific needs of high performance 4 storke motorcycles, including high temp., high RPMS and WET Clutch systems.

Full synthetic formula for the ultimate protection against wear, deposits and corrosion that can decrease engine performance..

Developed with advanced additives to resist oil thickening and maximize horsepower.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer & smooth shifting.

Meets or exceeds JASO MA2. This oil is the gray bottle. I got my on line.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Deanna777, I knew that you used it and also saw where you were going to do the oil sample when you change oil next. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Also how many miles are you running between oil changes?

Spyder Garage

Thanks Deanna777, I knew that you used it and also saw where you were going to do the oil sample when you change oil next. Looking forward to seeing the results.

You are Welcome! When I get chance ( life gets in the way) I'll do a oil sample and post the results.

Roughly 700 miles ( life gets in the way!, I in a "life curve now) or once a motorcycle season( April to Oct.).

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

No other concerns, Like I posted I have used Valvoline in everything I own with no problems so just thought I'd stick to it but I am certainly open to others. I am curious if anyone here has done a used oil test on it just to see the numbers. I have researched Mobil 1, Rotella T6, Amsoil and a few others. I have roughly 800 miles to my 3000 mile service and am just trying to decide which way to go. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra but I cant see paying twice the price.
    Had a few minutes so gave a look. Entirely your call as to what oil you prefer to use.

Gave a look at the Valvoline Full Synthetic oil being mentioned. This is the link to the spec page. Noticed that the highest API rating is SJ. Then checked the 2021 Spyder RT Operators Manual for minimum oil API ratings. The Can Am manual states SJ as the minimum rating for oil used. The best rating suggested was SN. In simple terms, typical an SN rated oil is certified to a higher performance standard. Yes, the SN standard is a later generation oil so to speak.

So, while the Valvoline Synthetic meets the 2021 minimum oil requirement for a 1330 Spyder, the Valvoline oil is at the peak of its certified rating. Yes acceptable, but without a buffer.

For comparison, Mobil 1 10w40 Sportbike oil has an SN rating. As previously mentioned, Shell Rotella T6 5w40 is not gasoline engine rated. Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil is SM rated. All three are Jaso MA / MA2 rated.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

Spyder Garage

"So, while the Valvoline Synthetic meets the 2021 minimum oil requirement for a 1330 Spyder, the Valvoline oil is at the peak of its certified rating. Yes acceptable, but without a buffer."

Thank You PMK

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all that have replied. I have decided which way I am going to go.

Lots of information and several good oils out there including all thats mentioned in this thread. I do feel that any "Full Synthetic" that meets the requirements are better than the semi-synthetic that BRP wants us to use.

Spyder Garage

The Valvoline I just poured in mine is rated SL, maybe the next batch I order will be SM or SN.20211020_183206~2.jpg
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The oil will not work. Please mail all you have to me & I will dispose of it properly
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGoldwingOwner View Post
    The oil will not work. Please mail all you have to me & I will dispose of it properly
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGoldwingOwner View Post
    You are so kind, do you require a disposal fee?

Spyder Garage

K80Shooter, Today I ordered the Oil test kit from a local Auto parts store, I'll pick up the test kit next week. Sat or Sunday Oct. 29th or 30th I'll change my oil in my spyder.

Once I get the Oil test's back I'll post on this site/ thread.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    K80Shooter, Today I ordered the Oil test kit from a local Auto parts store, I'll pick up the test kit next week. Sat or Sunday Oct. 29th or 30th I'll change my oil in my spyder.

Deanna
    I will be waiting for the oil lab report.
    Thanks, Have a good day. 👍
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    The Valvoline I just poured in mine is rated SL, maybe the next batch I order will be SM or SN.20211020_183206~2.jpg
    That is both encouraging and discouraging at the same time. My reference was to Valvolines current published information taken from their website. Listing oil as SJ is discouraging.
    It is encouraging that the oil you purchased is rated higher.

Myself, I would still be hesitant unless the oil were tested by 540rat. But as we known have used it without short term issues in regards to gearbox wear.

It seems one owner will accomplish a SOAP sample of this oil. Ideally the oil has at least 5000 miles or more on it. Anything less should come back as virtually new oil. With that, I hope the person correctly collects the sample for accurate results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

Deanna

Please realize that the oil sample you extract should be after a reasonable run and driving time to blend all contaminants. Also, the oil sample should be taken as quickly as practical after shutdown.
    I may be wrong, but your words make it sound as if you are waiting to get the oil sample kit, but will accomplish the oil change without the sample jar. If so, are you planning to retain the drained oil, then sample the drained oil days later?

I hope you have the time and sample kit to correctly take the oil sample, as many people are curious