Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fix Odometer issue - zero-ed with flat battery!

Please, please help!! My daughter has a 2009 Spyder she purchased right before covid hit. She got it titled in her name but never got the chance to get it inspected and tagged. It sat and the battery went dead. She replaced the battery but for some reason the odometer reset itself to zero. The bike had 10,000 miles on it. We have taken it to a dealer that works on Can-Ams in WV and they do not know how to fix it. They say the contacted Can-Am for a fix and all Can-Am told then is that doesnt happen. Well it Did! Anyone else have this problem? If so how did you fix it or what can you do to get it inspected.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2021 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Not a 'How To:' DIY thread, but a 'How can I fix?' question

Spyder Garage

You might want to contact BRPcare here on the Forum via a PM to that username or via an email to brp.care@brp.com to see if they can help; but I believe that if the odometer memory in the dash has truly gone, then it just isn't recoverable, sorry!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thats pretty much "impossible", as the mileage should be stored in a psom/eepro type of chip/system. They do NOT require power to store that info, just powered to have that info wrote to the chip.

Id guess an electrical/shock etc issue that caused the chip to malfunction.

Does it record mileage if you drive it now?

----------------------------------------------

If it doesnt record mileage now, the chip is toast.

You can contact a cluster repair facility to have the cluster repaired & have the correct mileage set in the cluster, BRP should have authorized repair facilities for these cases.
    or
    BRP may have you simply order a new cluster, they will inform the facility of the required mileage to set it, some states require this be noted on the title.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 10-15-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Anthony G is correct. The total mileage is recorfed in a chip that's part of the display module and cannot be reset unless the chip has failed or the disolay module is replaced.
    Are you sure you're not looking at the trip odometer and mistaking that for the total miles ? It's possible the previous owner never reset the trip odometer and both were tracking the same mileage.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Anthony G is correct. The total mileage is recorfed in a chip that's part of the display module and cannot be reset unless the chip has failed or the disolay module is replaced.
    Are you sure you're not looking at the trip odometer and mistaking that for the total miles ? It's possible the previous owner never reset the trip odometer and both were tracking the same mileage.
    ..... I was going to suggest this as a possibility , but you beat me to it .... I'm not sure I could just get on a GS or RS and know how to work it ..... this may be the case here ..... also I have Little faith in dealers or their Techs ..... jmho .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Fix Odometer

In the past when clusters needed to be replaced, the mileage from the "bad" cluster was recorded on a tag that was affixed to the frame and warranty booklet. There is no way to add the previous mileage to a new cluster. FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me like there was a discussion some time back about early odometers resetting to zero at some mileage like 10k or 100k because there weren't enough digits being stored. Could this be the case here?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Or you start with a new bike and what a deal you have there!! I know that's not the right way to think about that, but what the hecks 10,000 miles, hardly broke in!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Seems to me like there was a discussion some time back about early odometers resetting to zero at some mileage like 10k or 100k because there weren't enough digits being stored. Could this be the case here?
    You are right. I can't remember if it was 100K or lower.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You are right. I can't remember if it was 100K or lower.
    I found the discussion. The problem was the early odometers reset at 100k km, 62k+ miles. BRP issued a fix but it had to be applied before the odo reset.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    In the past when clusters needed to be replaced, the mileage from the "bad" cluster was recorded on a tag that was affixed to the frame and warranty booklet. There is no way to add the previous mileage to a new cluster. FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    This would be inaccurate, cluster programming isnt anything new & must be done at an authorized facility.

https://odo-pro.com/digital-mileage-correction.html

Legal:
    Programming the odometer on a part to match the true mileage of the vehicle is legal, as long you are not misrepresenting the true mileage of the vehicle. Here are a couple helpful links to information that will help you understand U.S. odometer laws regarding service and sale of vehicles:

U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32704. Service, repair, and replacement
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/32704

U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32705. Disclosure requirements on transfer of motor vehicles
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/32705

Please read carefully and understand U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32705. "Disclosure requirements on transfer of motor vehicles" to know your responsibilities when transferring a vehicle.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 10-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    This would be inaccurate, cluster programming isnt anything new & must be done at an authorized facility.

https://odo-pro.com/digital-mileage-correction.html

Legal:
    Programming the odometer on a part to match the true mileage of the vehicle is legal, as long you are not misrepresenting the true mileage of the vehicle. Here are a couple helpful links to information that will help you understand U.S. odometer laws regarding service and sale of vehicles:

U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32704. Service, repair, and replacement
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/32704

U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32705. Disclosure requirements on transfer of motor vehicles
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/32705

Please read carefully and understand U.S. Code 49 U.S. Code § 32705. "Disclosure requirements on transfer of motor vehicles" to know your responsibilities when transferring a vehicle.
    Yes, its all legal but the trouble is the clusters in the Spyders are NOT programmable. Not by the dealer, not by BRP. If you replace a cluster, it starts from zero.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yes, its all legal but the trouble is the clusters in the Spyders are NOT programmable. Not by the dealer, not by BRP. If you replace a cluster, it starts from zero.
    True. There are programmable chips. And fixed chips. Ours is the latter. They are not capable of any programming after being manufactured. I have always wondered if it is because there isn't nearly the interest in cheating with a motorcycle as there is with autos and trucks.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I found the discussion. The problem was the early odometers reset at 100k km, 62k+ miles. BRP issued a fix but it had to be applied before the odo reset.
    Thanks for the update. Last night, in the middle of the night what you just posted came to me. I was going to update that this morning.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The clusters ARE writable aka "programmable". Your mileage gets written to the chip in the cluster from the data the sensor(s) send to the pcm/ecm etc, does it not?

If BRP dont offer it, thats one thing. The manufacturers dont offer this service, nor do dealerships. The dealer will send it out for you to an authorized agent aka company or send it out yourself to an authorized company like i linked to above.

That is the same thing with the auto industry, they ALL come set to zero when you purchase one from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True. There are programmable chips. And fixed chips. Ours is the latter. They are not capable of any programming after being manufactured. I have always wondered if it is because there isn't nearly the interest in cheating with a motorcycle as there is with autos and trucks.
    No, yours isnt the later, its not a "fixed" chip.

They're capable of programming after being manufactured. If they werent capable of programming after being manufactured, then the pcm/ecm couldn't write the data to the cluster chip that it received from the sensor(s) its uses to calculate that data.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As BRP may not want anyone in their ecm/pcm (you have to access the cluster thru the pcm/ecm) to do such repairs, it doesnt mean its impossible. Just like auto manufactures, they gave certain companies access to change the data in the chip with a program, like buds for an example.

You just need the right engineers laptop to fix the mileage, because that laptop will have a full access admin level user for a program like "BUDS".
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe it is possible to change the mileage with BUDS if you have a megatech license.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

B92MOM......Lots of ideas here.
    Do you have an update as to what happened ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I believe it is possible to change the mileage with BUDS if you have a megatech license.
    Interesting point.
    In the description for the Megatech/Mechatronic Expert license. It says "Cleaning ECM, MPEM, CLUSTER "as new" (resetting the hours to zero and miles/kilometers)" . So can someone confirm that this license can set the mileage to any value or just reset to new (zero). As implied in the description.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Been told many times that it cannot be changed. I have also looked for it but admit there are MANY pages in BUDS. If you know for a fact it can be done and where the setting is in BUDS, please post up.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    The clusters ARE writable aka "programmable". Your mileage gets written to the chip in the cluster from the data the sensor(s) send to the pcm/ecm etc, does it not?

If BRP dont offer it, thats one thing. The manufacturers dont offer this service, nor do dealerships. The dealer will send it out for you to an authorized agent aka company or send it out yourself to an authorized company like i linked to above.

That is the same thing with the auto industry, they ALL come set to zero when you purchase one from the dealer.

No, yours isnt the later, its not a "fixed" chip.

They're capable of programming after being manufactured. If they werent capable of programming after being manufactured, then the pcm/ecm couldn't write the data to the cluster chip that it received from the sensor(s) its uses to calculate that data.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As BRP may not want anyone in their ecm/pcm (you have to access the cluster thru the pcm/ecm) to do such repairs, it doesnt mean its impossible. Just like auto manufactures, they gave certain companies access to change the data in the chip with a program, like buds for an example.

You just need the right engineers laptop to fix the mileage, because that laptop will have a full access admin level user for a program like "BUDS".

Your theory is all well and good but real world experience has shown its not the case. The ECU does not write the mileage to the cluster. The CLUSTER calculates the mileage from the speed sensor pulses and gives it TO the ECU. Its a simple counter and is not programable. It starts from zero and there are no methods for changing it. Not one instance of this having been accomplished on a Spyder. As far as I know its not even in the Megatech version of BUDS. That value is read only and cannot be programmed.

I would love to be proven wrong as I have always felt it was a major design flaw.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Well I have a 2011 RTS and had to have the cluster replaced and the mileage went back to zero. I inquired about trying to program it back to the original mileage and was told no as well. That it is stored in the cluster and not the ECM/PCM. I kept the old one, and was thinking of trying to open it up as it appears to be a sealed unit. Just never got around to doing it
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly from reading the applicable Federal regulations, if an odometer can be reset, only a certified speedometer repair facility is permitted to do so.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I wrote to the Speedo Shop, https://www.sandiegothespeedoshop.com, and asked them if they could reset a Spyder odometer. Here is their answer.

You will have to take it to the dealer ship to have this down.
    Rose
    I think we have a pretty good idea of where that will get you!

Here is their self-promotion blurb on their website.

About Us
    The Speedo Shop in Santee, California, is a speedometer and instrumentation repair shop that commands nearly three decades of knowledge and experience. In working on all makes and models of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and motor homes, as well as industrial and marine applications.

In business since 1999, if it has a gauge on it, we can fix it. In fact, we can recalibrate or repair almost any gauge you bring us, as well as install factory or aftermarket gauges in your vehicle. We also have an in-house dynamometer for the most accurate recalibration service possible.
    If a speedo specialist can't fix it, I guess it can't be fixed!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just replaced the battery in my 2020 RT Limited due to it going dead and no longer holding a charge. The dash display read 0 miles. It has never displayed the trip odometer in that spot on startup before the battery change. After scrolling thru the mode change, sure enough the full odometer reading was still there. It defaulted to trip, which I like better now anyway.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by B92MOM View Post
    Please, please help!! My daughter has a 2009 Spyder she purchased right before covid hit. She got it titled in her name but never got the chance to get it inspected and tagged. It sat and the battery went dead. She replaced the battery but for some reason the odometer reset itself to zero. The bike had 10,000 miles on it. We have taken it to a dealer that works on Can-Ams in WV and they do not know how to fix it. They say the contacted Can-Am for a fix and all Can-Am told then is that doesnt happen. Well it Did! Anyone else have this problem? If so how did you fix it or what can you do to get it inspected.
    The TRIP ODOMETER I believe RESETS to 0 after 10K.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue