Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer changed service staff - now refuses to install ANY auto tire on a Spyder.

FYI - A new "service manager" and the new "service writer" told me today they wouldn't mount any auto tire on ANY Spyder. Says he did a few and had troubles with the job and won't do it again. No explanation of what "trouble" means. This is after I told him I wanted to get my annual service, and change plugs, and flush and refill break system. I told them I had it done there on the last tire change, and I tried to get more info but they weren't talking. I told them forget the whole thing and left.

OK....I'm in Olympia, WA area.
    Looking for help from everyone on where a dealer is out here, that will change the tire. Out here is anywhere in a 100 mile radius for now.
    Any help very much appreciated.

Really bummed out about it.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Try Walmart. Might not be able to balance, but you can run beads.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that Ray. I think you're asking for help pulling and remounting the wheel?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No Pete. I'm looking for a Spyder Dealer that will replace the rear tire on a Spyder, regardless of "Brand".
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last year, when I approached our local dealer and asked about mounting non-stock tires, they said "we can talk about it."

I have my car work done at a muffler chain (Muffler Brothers) that handles anything engine/driveline/suspension related. They also sell and install tires. The owner of that store also rides a Harley, so I asked him if he could/would change the tires on my wife's Spyder. After a short discussion on what I wanted and where I planned on buying them, we found that he could order them (and sell them to me) for only $5 more than I could get them. That avoided all the hassle of transporting the tires to him, along with the wheels.

He was able to mount and balance the front tires, but his balance machine did not have cones small enough for the rear wheel. I brought the wheel home, slid the axle through it and put it up on some jackstands and spun the tire several times. When it stopped at random points, I decided it was "balanced enough" and installed it. 9000 miles later, it's still doing fine.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

According to Google Maps you’re approximately 4 hours from me, so there is no option in that regard.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Reading here for the last couple of weeks, Seems to me that Can-Am dealerships get less and less friendly in their Service department. They charge a pretty penny for the work they do on these Spyders, why the attitude?
    I might have to sell my RT-L and just stick with my Honda Rebel 1100.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    , why the attitude?
    I might have to sell my RT-L and just stick with my Honda Rebel 1100.

Cheers!
    If you’re basing that on what you’re reading, then of course thats what you’re thinking. 95% of what you read are complaints. Base your feelings or impressions on what YOU find personally...not on what somebody else says in a fit of frustration. I myself have always received GREAT service. just my 2 pennies to add to the equation.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Last year, when I approached our local dealer and asked about mounting non-stock tires, they said "we can talk about it."

I have my car work done at a muffler chain (Muffler Brothers) that handles anything engine/driveline/suspension related. They also sell and install tires. The owner of that store also rides a Harley, so I asked him if he could/would change the tires on my wife's Spyder. After a short discussion on what I wanted and where I planned on buying them, we found that he could order them (and sell them to me) for only $5 more than I could get them. That avoided all the hassle of transporting the tires to him, along with the wheels.

He was able to mount and balance the front tires, but his balance machine did not have cones small enough for the rear wheel. I brought the wheel home, slid the axle through it and put it up on some jackstands and spun the tire several times. When it stopped at random points, I decided it was "balanced enough" and installed it. 9000 miles later, it's still doing fine.

Neither Peter ( I'm sure ) nor I, bother Balancing the REAR tire / wheel..... if using an AUTO tire .....I can't speak for Kenda's, some won't even balance using a spin balancer or beads ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think there is tremendous upheaval in the workforce lately. Combine that with shortages of critical parts and I'm not surprised that small businesses are having to make some very difficult choices. Let's cut them a break.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think there is tremendous upheaval in the workforce lately. Combine that with shortages of critical parts and I'm not surprised that small businesses are having to make some very difficult choices. Let's cut them a break.
    That would be a no can do for me, I had one dealership (JT motorsports of Frederick) who even gave me a snub on a sale and that is when I was directed to them from can-am to make the purchase of my F3.

So far I have engaged 3 can -am dealerships in my area.

Each time I have walked away with being sh*t on in one form another from those dealerships.

I just received a survey from the Motorcycle Industry Council for a Consumer Experience Study. They will be getting an earful from me.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Auto Tires

"America is the Land of the Free".

That being said, there are some dealers who will install your own tires on your Spyder. The other side of the nickel, "there are dealers that 'will not install Auto tires'.

That is not what we Spyder Forum Owners like to hear. I for one, would like to know the details of Auto tires on Spyders. Peter A. and BlueNight (Mike) have been able to educate a lot of us. ...

My local Spyder Dealer will only install the BRP Tires. So I have to enjoy the OEM TIRES for the Rear.

The Front tires are very easy to R&I.
    So most Tire Shops will do the job. ...

I know that some of you still need a little help with the Front Tires. So just ask your local Tire Shop for Help.
    Maybe they will do the job.
    It took me three different Shops to find the one I use. ...

Good Luck with Your Mission. ...... ...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2021 at 03:33 AM. Reason: 'there are' ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    FYI - A new "service manager" and the new "service writer" told me today they wouldn't mount any auto tire on ANY Spyder. Says he did a few and had troubles with the job and won't do it again. No explanation of what "trouble" means. This is after I told him I wanted to get my annual service, and change plugs, and flush and refill break system. I told them I had it done there on the last tire change, and I tried to get more info but they weren't talking. I told them forget the whole thing and left.

Looking for help from everyone on where a dealer is out here, that will change the tire. Out here is anywhere in a 100 mile radius for now.

As others have said. If you can get the wheel off yourself. It opens up a wide array of possibilities. It's not that difficult if done properly. Saves you money and gets you what you want.

Your dealership has tasted the BRP Cool-Aid and liked it. Trouble with car tires? Never heard of any. Trouble with their chosen Kenda product! All the time. The reason they don't want to discuss it is because they don't have a rational argument. Sad, but all to often, true.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Neither Peter ( I'm sure ) nor I, bother Balancing the REAR tire / wheel..... if using an AUTO tire .....I can't speak for Kenda's, some won't even balance using a spin balancer or beads ..... Mike
    You can't balance a square tire!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-15-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

You can't balance a square tire!
    Nor can you balance or use a warped dodecahedral tire that's got bulgy sides & delaminated tread!

But I really think BRP are going to continue pushing out their 'these odd sized dodgy Kenda tires are the only acceptable tires to use' wheelbarrow until enough Spyder owners bite the bullet & go elsewhere for alternatives.... and I've seen enough of the dodgy Kendas that if it comes down to having no alternative but to use the Kendas, then I'll be reluctantly forced into selling my Spyder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: the
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think there are some tectonic, permanent shifts going on within our previously well-ordered society and change is inevitable. Consumers like us will have to adapt or go bonkers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Although I have had some less then satisfactory results from Young Power Sports in Bountiful at times, I always been treated well there. I will continue to use them as well as Moto United in Draper. They have always treated me well also. Both have been respectgul of the time and distance I have to travel to reach them. I don't know if they will put a car tire on a Spyder, I never asked as my local tire shop can do the fronts and I can still take the rear off myself and that same store has no problem mounting anything I bring them. Like others I have found that if mounted properly, the car tire rear doen't seem t need balancing. Trong have you tried either of these two shops?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Reading the responses to date, it seems my original intension has gotten lost. While it's nice to see that I am not alone in my frustration across the entire "Spyder owners community", I am asking for info on any shops or dealers within 100 or so miles of Olympia. Wa.. that will do this work. Again, I do appreciate your posts, but I will need a local location soon.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Thank goodness my local and only dealership will mount and auto tire that I bring in. Maybe a local motorcycle mechanic who is willing to learn to do a rear wheel and work under the table??????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reading the responses to date, it seems my original intension has gotten lost. While it's nice to see that I am not alone in my frustration across the entire "Spyder owners community", I am asking for info on any shops or dealers within 100 or so miles of Olympia. Wa.. that will do this work. Again, I do appreciate your posts, but I will need a local location soon.
    Ray, I'm a little baffled why you would want to change dealers just because of the tire change issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ray, I'm a little baffled why you would want to change dealers just because of the tire change issue.
    What am I suppose to do about the tire I now have in my garage ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Teninospyder

There is an independent ATV repair shop here in the Tri-cities that is expanding the size of their shop to accommodate more business and inside storage. The owner used to be a CanAm service manager and has all of the tools, training and software to work on our Spyders. He's my new go-to guy. TGM Motorsports 509-792-1233. It's a bit of a ride, but may get you what you need done, including tire service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I was asking whether you were able to dismount the wheel yourself and take it to an independent tire shop.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have no great answer for you. As a suggestion, go beyond this forum, even ask your dealer if there are any independent shops that work on Spyders. The unfortunate portion in changing a rear tire is not so much changing the tire, but more so correctly removing and installing the wheel assembly.

Regarding comments of selling when no tires are available, one can hope that the aftermarket can produce rims that are not cost prohibitive in a larger than stock diameter. The Spyder community is not there yet, but getting close.

Spyder Garage

Default Another dealer with negative input on tire install

Just had another dealer out here tell me that BRP WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO PUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE BRP PROVIDED TIRES ON A SPYDER !
    HE SAID THIS IS VERY CLEAR IN THEIR AGREEMENT AND THEY COULD LOSE THEIR BUSINESS . End of story.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll check it out !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.