Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    Teninospyder

There is an independent ATV repair shop here in the Tri-cities that is expanding the size of their shop to accommodate more business and inside storage. The owner used to be a CanAm service manager and has all of the tools, training and software to work on our Spyders. He's my new go-to guy. TGM Motorsports 509-792-1233. It's a bit of a ride, but may get you what you need done, including tire service.
    Thanks. I'll check it out !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    FYI - A new "service manager" and the new "service writer" told me today they wouldn't mount any auto tire on ANY Spyder. Says he did a few and had troubles with the job and won't do it again. No explanation of what "trouble" means. This is after I told him I wanted to get my annual service, and change plugs, and flush and refill break system. I told them I had it done there on the last tire change, and I tried to get more info but they weren't talking. I told them forget the whole thing and left.

OK....I'm in Olympia, WA area.
    Looking for help from everyone on where a dealer is out here, that will change the tire. Out here is anywhere in a 100 mile radius for now.
    Any help very much appreciated.

Really bummed out about it.
    Costco, Americas Tires/ Discount Tires, Pep Boys and or any auto tire dealer will be more than happy to take your money and mount your tires just take in your rims with the old tires on them and they will mount your new tires and balance them and or sell you tires.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 10-15-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Nor can you balance or use a warped dodecahedral tire that's got bulgy sides & delaminated tread!

But I really think BRP are going to continue pushing out their 'these odd sized dodgy Kenda tires are the only acceptable tires to use' wheelbarrow until enough Spyder owners bite the bullet & go elsewhere for alternatives.... and I've seen enough of the dodgy Kendas that if it comes down to having no alternative but to use the Kendas, then I'll be reluctantly forced into selling my Spyder!
    Peter I bought a VERY basic tire changer, just because of the possibility this will occur. ..... I also have a very nice Son who knows how to do it ..... good luck ( to all of us )..... Mike ................PS - to this day I still can't figure out how Harley Davidson can put AUTO ( Dunlop ) tires on their Trikes and it's LEGAL .... last time I looked, those " Dunlop " tires Didn't have any Mtc. designation printed on those tires ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike Probably the same way all trike conversion makes put car tires on their conversions. They are not in the tire business. BRP is.
    Does anyone know what polaris' position is on non stock tires for their Slingshot?
    I feel very fortunate in that I can still crawl under my Spyder and remove the wheel and more importantly lift it back into place, tho I can see that those days are numbered. If you don't know how to do it watch several you tube videos. It isn't hard just fidely as finless used to say. But then so is everything else on the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Try Clem’s power sports in Enumclaw, they have always mounted tires on my RT. I just bring the tire in with me.
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White, Mfg. date 1/28/2014
    BRP heated seat, BRP backrest, SpyderFlap, Tricled mirror turn signals, KOTT Grills, BRP adjustable side air vent, Bumpskid, Bajaron sway bar and heim links, Spyderpops belt guard, Tricled day lighters, Tricled fender LEDs, CD HMT running/brake LEDs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can't balance a square tire!
    I get what you're saying, but there's no reason a square tire couldn't be balanced. It's not about roundness but about mass distribution. You could have a perfectly round wheel and still be out of balance.
    Having said that, a two blade propeller is balanced but it won't roll down the road.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Mike Probably the same way all trike conversion makes put car tires on their conversions. They are not in the tire business. BRP is.
    Does anyone know what polaris' position is on non stock tires for their Slingshot?
    I feel very fortunate in that I can still crawl under my Spyder and remove the wheel and more importantly lift it back into place, tho I can see that those days are numbered. If you don't know how to do it watch several you tube videos. It isn't hard just fidely as finless used to say. But then so is everything else on the Spyder.
    BUT BRP CLAIMS THEY HAVE .... NO CHOICE .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BUT BRP CLAIMS THEY HAVE .... NO CHOICE .... Mike
    And they're gonna keep on doing that until enough Spyder/Ryker owners tell them to get knotted & move to auto tires that it really starts to hurt them financially!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And they're gonna keep on doing that until enough Spyder/Ryker owners tell them to get knotted & move to auto tires that it really starts to hurt them financially!
    I doubt the Spyder/Ryker market is large enough for any given dealer for this sort of critical mass to be reached.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Ray, are you able to take the tire off and put it back on yourself? If so, once you get the tire off, most tire shops came mount and dismount the tire, it's the balancing that's the bugga! Now you have all kinds of options there, trying it and see if Mike and Pete's theory of the tire dont need weights will work, beads, one of those doughnuts that everyone sells that you mount on that will balance all the tires you will put on for ever, or having the tire mounted and taking it to another bike shop to have it balanced, non CanAm shop!!! The hard part would be, taking the tire off and putting it back on, and if you can't do that than, than I'll shut up! Like Ron said, there are all kinds of options out there don't give up! BRP is in bed with this tire company and we all just have to get over it, they will not change there minds no matter how much we bitch about it, they are reading our post, don't think they don't, has it made a difference, NO!! Good Luck Ray, you will get it I am sure!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHTundra View Post
    I get what you're saying, but there's no reason a square tire couldn't be balanced. It's not about roundness but about mass distribution. You could have a perfectly round wheel and still be out of balance.
    Having said that, a two blade propeller is balanced but it won't roll down the road.
    You got me there. So, I'll edit my statement. I should have said "You can't get a square tire to stop bouncing down the road". Because, as you point out. Anything can be balanced. It just doesn't necessarily roll smoothly when you're done. Which, unlike a 2 blade rotor, is the goal here.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I doubt the Spyder/Ryker market is large enough for any given dealer for this sort of critical mass to be reached.
    IMHO it has Nothing to do with the amount of Spyders ..... BRP sells a lot more of them then Harley sells of their TRIKES. Do you think the U.S. DOT regulators are discriminating against BRP and the Spyder ????? .... The fact that we are discussing a ( so-labeled ) Motorcycle tire has nothing to do with it either .... What matters is the what the wheel is designed for and what the tire design ( ie. BEAD ) is required for that wheel. ( ie. " J " bead ) You CAN'T put a Genuine Mtc. tire of a Spyder wheel - - it won't seat properly AND THAT WOULD ACUTALLY BE ILLEGAL .... BRP is shoveling the BS as fast as they can ....... end of rant .... ride safe - ride happy .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO it has Nothing to do with the amount of Spyders ..... BRP sells a lot more of them then Harley sells of their TRIKES. Do you think the U.S. DOT regulators are discriminating against BRP and the Spyder ????? .... The fact that we are discussing a ( so-labeled ) Motorcycle tire has nothing to do with it either .... What matters is the what the wheel is designed for and what the tire design ( ie. BEAD ) is required for that wheel. ( ie. " J " bead ) You CAN'T put a Genuine Mtc. tire of a Spyder wheel - - it won't seat properly AND THAT WOULD ACUTALLY BE ILLEGAL .... BRP is shoveling the BS as fast as they can ....... end of rant .... ride safe - ride happy .... Mike
    Personally I wonder if Harley stopped selling trikes, what would be the overall impact on the bottom line?
    I really don't have any idea, but I suspect it would be small. Except those things are so expensive....
    As to the motorcycle vs. car tire issue, it's just the shape of the rim, which on the Spyder is car type.
    I get it, which is why I'm not arguing the point (so, um, why are you - toward me, at any rate?).
    Total BS on BRP's part, I get that too, which is why I'm not arguing that point either (....).

My point was simply this: Dealers that sell Spyders, in my experience, also sell a bunch of other things.
    So if you take that whole pile, and you remove from it those Spyder owners who feel outraged about this whole tire issue, my perspective suggests the financial hit will not be sufficient to change said dealer's behavior. That's all.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please don't think that Spyder tires are "motorcycle" tires.

Yes, there is a reason that they say "special motorcycle use only" on the sidewalls, but it's not because they are "motorcycle" tires.

The major reason they have that wording is that they are the same size as what is used on a Mazda Miata or other small cars, but are not built to take the weight, so they say they are for motorcycle use only.

Knowing that, there is no reason to continue to look for "motorcycle" tires, just look for "tires that work".
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I don't think many dealers really give a hoot about spyder's period when they are snubbing 20k+ sales due to the brand as what happened to me, somethings wrong!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black