Spyder Garage

Default Identifying tire age

I was making a list of maintenance items to work through on my wife's Spyder and was trying to figure out the age of the tires on it. All of the tires have two sets of 4 numbers after the DOT code, not sure which is the correct one. Attached a picture of one of the fronts. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Either of the 2 sets of numbers makes the tires pretty old. I have not noticed two sets of numbers like that before..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

its usually week then year. Are there any other 4 digit codes on the tire that make more sence. althout if its an 09,10 bike might make sence. but if its a 2020 then id say theres a diffrent code then those 2

Spyder Garage

Often the 4 digits follow the letters "DOT".
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Whatever way you look at it, those Kenda tires are OLD & quite likely unsafe at any speed!

For tires manufactured after the year 2000, the tire date code is generally the 4 numerics immediately after the tire size & the 3 Alpha brand/compound characteristic letters......

There's lotsa other sources if you want to look, but check this link out for a detailed explanation -

https://danthetireman.com/blog/artic...t-numbers-mean
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KSCRZR View Post
    I was making a list of maintenance items to work through on my wife's Spyder and was trying to figure out the age of the tires on it. All of the tires have two sets of 4 numbers after the DOT code, not sure which is the correct one. Attached a picture of one of the fronts. Thanks.

~~~1608 equates to the 16th week of 2008. That tire is 13+years old. Like Peter said, unsafe @ any speed

A long time ago i bought a 1956 Lincoln Premiere from a family friend. It was his Father’s car and Louie just so happened to have purchased a 56’ Thunderbird the same year. Same Ford dealer too & Louie still had the T bird. Anyways, i bought it in 1977. The tires were old as the Lincoln hadn’t been driven in well over a decade. It was a beautiful automobile and spent its hibernating years in one of their storage buildings. Their family business was a Fishery. So i drove on those old tires after we got it in running condition not very long, a few weeks but what amazed me regarding the tires on this car was they were so dry rotted that you could literally see the rubber coming off them much like the rubber used for pencil erasers. Tire technology has come a long way since then and i doubt the OP will see that kind of wear on his wife’s Spyder but none the less, Peter is right, install new tires ASAP

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~1608 equates to the 16th week of 2008. That tire is 13+years old. Like Peter said, unsafe @ any speed

A long time ago i bought a 1956 Lincoln Premiere from a family friend. It was his Father’s car and Louie just so happened to have purchased a 56’ Thunderbird the same year. Same Ford dealer too & Louie still had the T bird. Anyways, i bought it in 1977. The tires were old as the Lincoln hadn’t been driven in well over a decade. It was a beautiful automobile and spent its hibernating years in one of their storage buildings. Their family business was a Fishery. So i drove on those old tires after we got it in running condition not very long, a few weeks but what amazed me regarding the tires on this car was they were so dry rotted that you could literally see the rubber coming off them much like the rubber used for pencil erasers. Tire technology has come a long way since then and i doubt the OP will see that kind of wear on his wife’s Spyder but none the less, Peter is right, install new tires ASAP

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    " 16th week of 2008 " .... if so then they are the Original tires that Spyder came with ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " 16th week of 2008 " .... if so then they are the Original tires that Spyder came with ............. Mike

~~~oh crap!, I’m aging faster than i thought…someone mentioned a 2nd set of numbers after the department of transportation acronym. That 2nd set of numbers is the manufacturing date. It looks like 0910 which would be the ninth week of 2010. I have been putting off a scheduled eye examination. Speaking of pencil erasers, that’s why they put erasers on pencils for those who make mistakes (((ME)))

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that tire was manufactured in the 16th week of 2008. The date is the last 4 numbers connected after the 'DOT' marking. The 0910 is disconnected from the 'DOT' mark.