Spyder Garage

Default Love my music, but MP3 on Aux cable not recognized by my radio?!

I know, it's been a long time. I have adapted the AUX radio cable to play my 7th Gen ipod through my system. 2012 Spyder rt SE5.Recently I have acquired a usb flashdrive with a lot of my favorite music. After a long wait I received a male MP3 to female usb adapter to connect to the original N Touch cable that came with the Trike.
    Although the flashdrive lights up, it does not seem to be recognized by my radio. This flash drive works fine in my Chevy Cruze and my Chevy Traverse by simply pluging it into the USB player slot.
    What else must I do?

Spyder Garage

Identify the format of files & size of drive for starters. Radio maybe picky at reading, adapter might also only be for power not data may wanna check/test that.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the problem may be that the AUX input is analog signal. The USB flash drive is digital. You need a player to convert the digital files to analog. That is what the iPod and mp3 players do.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I would think the ipod is digital format. The usb is fat 32

Spyder Garage

While the format is digital, the signal coming out of the headphone jack of your MP3 is analog. Think of the aux input as basically a set of headphones. You need an analog signal, like out of an MP3 player or your phone's headphone jack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dkspyder522 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I would think the ipod is digital format. The usb is fat 32
    It is, up to the point of signal output. The digital files are converted internally in the iPod to analog and then sent out to whatever is amplifying and playing the signal. Same thing with an MP3 player. The Spyder radio communicates the control signals to the iPod digitally but that is a proprietary protocol and uses a separate set of wires in the connector cable. That's why there is player control for the iPod but not for an MP3 player.

The Spyder radio is an analog music player that is controlled digitally from the left hand grip control module via a specific signal protocol via the CanBus.

I can't find the type of adapter you need on Amazon. What you need, to play files from a USB stick, is a USB to analog audio file converter/adapter. I'm not sure they exist. Your best bet is to transfer your files from the USB stick to an MP3 player.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dkspyder522 View Post
    I know, it's been a long time. I have adapted the AUX radio cable to play my 7th Gen ipod through my system. 2012 Spyder rt SE5.Recently I have acquired a usb flashdrive with a lot of my favorite music. After a long wait I received a male MP3 to female usb adapter to connect to the original N Touch cable that came with the Trike.
    Although the flashdrive lights up, it does not seem to be recognized by my radio. This flash drive works fine in my Chevy Cruze and my Chevy Traverse by simply pluging it into the USB player slot.
    What else must I do?
    On my '21 RTL I use my I-pod classic and connect to the cables in the compartment under the gauges. Just using the white usb cable (for the i-pod) did not work and showed "device not recognized)--so I installed a short "charge only and switchable" link usb there and used the pin jack to transfer the music without using BRP go and it works fine only without control of the songs, only the volume. I had to file the plastic on the I-pod cable end slightly to get it and the pin jack to fit. Anyway--it works and maybe when the BRP-go app is completely upgraded, it may accept the I-pod. Another option would be a "blue tooth adapter" for the I-pod ,cheap on Amazon, which may hook up to BRP go. We will see.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. Still working on the project.

Spyder Garage

I just reread this thread and noticed your comment about being able to use the USB stick in your Chevys. The reason it works in them is the radios in your Chevys have a digital to analog decoder built in to convert the digital files to analog. The Spyder radio does not have that.

2014 Copper RTS