Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Right wrist pain

This is my 4th bike, first Spyder (09 GS). I've never experienced as much pain from carpal tunnel like symptoms in my throttle hand as I do on this bike. Is right side vibration normal or is it just me? I ordered a set of foam grips from Lamonster, hopefully that helps. Thoughts, opinions?

Spyder Garage

Foam grips may help. Let us know.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You might try some weighted handlebar end caps. Some say it can limit vibration.

Spyder Garage

I too was experiencing wrist pain, even though I do not have carpal tunnel. Many here were putting the Pedal Commander on their bikes, so I looked into it. The PC accelerates the throttle action and allows you to choose how much. It also removes all the throttle slack. Slingmods has an excellent video showing what it does and how to do the simple installation.
    I bought one from Slingmods and installed it and I gotta say, that is one amazing little box. Set At City +3, I'm moving the throttle maybe half of what a use to in order to maintain a speed.
    Not only does the PC cure my wrist pain, but it makes the bike feel as though it is a lot more powerful. Even though it does not add power. I was thinking about getting an ECM reflash, but now it would be a waste, as the PC does everything I expected of the reflash and much more.
    Re carpal tunnel: Many years ago, an orthopedic surgeon told my that condition can be avoided - or reduced - if you do not bend your wrist while sleeping. In other words, sleep with your wrists straight. Maybe that's why I don't have CT in my mid 80s.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutusbikes View Post
    This is my 4th bike, first Spyder (09 GS). I've never experienced as much pain from carpal tunnel like symptoms in my throttle hand as I do on this bike. Is right side vibration normal or is it just me? I ordered a set of foam grips from Lamonster, hopefully that helps. Thoughts, opinions?
    I'm not sure what I did would work for a GS .... On my 14 RT I removed one on the springs in the throttle grip .... Now my throttle still returns to idle but is much easier to accelerate with .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I transferred the Throttle Boss from my Goldwing trike to my ‘21 RTL . This item takes the tension off of my wrist. I have experienced wrist pain with every motorcycle I have had since the mid-eighties. It allows my wrist to rest on the throttle with minor input to the throttle. My hands are small enough that I still have room to partially grasp the grip if I feel the need to.

For my tender palms I have added the foam grips… again, as I had on all those bikes. This Spyder’s bare grips are the roughest grips I have ever experienced on any bike.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

IIRC, those early Spyders have a throttle that's cable operated, and if that's the case, then as Mike suggested above, the usual 'Pedal Commanders' and other gear that works on the 'fly-by-wire' throttles that our later Spyders use simply won't work....

But you could look at something like a 'Cramp Buster' - cheap to buy; simple to install, adjust, & use; and they take a lot of the 'grip' issues out of motorcycle throttles regardless of the type!

https://www.crampbuster.com/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    IIRC, those early Spyders have a throttle that's cable operated, and if that's the case, then as Mike suggested above, the usual 'Pedal Commanders' and other gear that works on the 'fly-by-wire' throttles that our later Spyders use simply won't work....

But you could look at something like a 'Cramp Buster' - cheap to buy; simple to install, adjust, & use; and they take a lot of the 'grip' issues out of motorcycle throttles regardless of the type!

https://www.crampbuster.com/
    Exactly what I was going to say! Cruz control is a wonderful thing! I have used Cramp busters on my dirt bikes and it does help. More people need to consider this when making a purchase and choosing the right model with Cruz Control. JMO

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the crampbuster on my ‘14 RTS and just love it. Use it constantly....it’s about the cheapest and handiest “farkle” you can buy.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say! Cruz control is a wonderful thing! I have used Cramp busters on my dirt bikes and it does help. More people need to consider this when making a purchase and choosing the right model with Cruz Control. JMO

Jack
    Hey Jack, Welcome Back. You Have Been Missed.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    I wanted one with cruise, but everyone I went to look at and buy sold out from under me.

Spyder Garage

One more little thing to consider..... I have been riding Goldwings for many years. The angle of the grips on all the stock GL1800 has my wrists canted inward. That results in sore and tired wrists. I remedied that by changing the handle bar angle with risers. Perhaps you are experiencing some of the same and a handle bar adjustment might be in order.....? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

What worked for me was changing my grip to be more ergonomically correct. Place a ruler on the back of your hand extending over your forearm. Your hand, wrist, and forearm should all be flat with each other when you grip the throttle, except when accelerating, of course. It took me some time to learn this new, awkward, grip, but my wrist pain went away and I have no issues after a long ride.

Spyder Garage

Right side vibration? No you should not be getting any unusual handlebar vibrations. Sounds to me like your right front wheel needs to be balanced.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Hey Jack, Welcome Back. You Have Been Missed.....
    Thanks "Little Blue"

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    What worked for me was changing my grip to be more ergonomically correct. Place a ruler on the back of your hand extending over your forearm. Your hand, wrist, and forearm should all be flat with each other when you grip the throttle, except when accelerating, of course. It took me some time to learn this new, awkward, grip, but my wrist pain went away and I have no issues after a long ride.
    Don't forget some forearm (wrist, grip) exercises or seeing your PT. Agree, Cramp Buster and cruise control good also. As AtomicEd said changing ergonomics may help. This spring I hit a deer on a cross country trip that took off my right mirror and bent the right grip throttle just enough that I had to manually return the throttle to idle. Finished 1200 miles of the trip that way. When I got it repaired I thought my throttle took no effort at all. I do forearm exercises 3 x week along with other work out.

Spyder Garage

Just to add.... cruise control works great when you are in a situation where you can use it... but not on twisties and slow traffic.
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Just to add.... cruise control works great when you are in a situation where you can use it... but not on twisties and slow traffic.
    Agree only good on long stretches and not much traffic. I think the mechanism on the RT could be cleaned up a little for easier operation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Don't forget some forearm (wrist, grip) exercises or seeing your PT. Agree, Cramp Buster and cruise control good also. As AtomicEd said changing ergonomics may help. This spring I hit a deer on a cross country trip that took off my right mirror and bent the right grip throttle just enough that I had to manually return the throttle to idle. Finished 1200 miles of the trip that way. When I got it repaired I thought my throttle took no effort at all. I do forearm exercises 3 x week along with other work out.
    milryder,

I got to say you pulled me out of retirement. That's a great post. Other items mentioned may work, but then you can end up with compensations in other parts the the body.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    That's where the cramp buster helps me out
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Yes… me too using the Throttle Boss and of course the Heli-bars I put on took out a lot of back, shoulder, neck and forearm problems.

Spyder Garage

Not sure I understand the Throttle Boss compared to the Cramp Buster. Does TB replace the entire grip and is it a slip on for the Can AM '21 RT? I already have foam grips. The TB picture looks like the device includes an entire grip? I had a Cramp Buster one time on a maxi scooter but it ended up falling off as I had it clear to the end of the grip. Thanks

Spyder Garage

The Throttle Boss just slips on over the original grip and you adjust it to sit at the angle best for you.
    It is a firm, yet pliable, rubber type material.
    I tried the Cramp Buster a few years ago but did not like that it was a hard plastic feel.

EC4AC11A-C090-48F8-A913-D076DB3CB334.jpg

B72F3059-2EC9-41DD-9F1D-FCB24A1D32F9.jpeg

Spyder Garage

I prefer the Crampbuster or a similar device because they can be adjusted for angle on the fly.
    https://www.jpcycles.com/product/510...208b79a4fd4d8c
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutusbikes View Post
    ************************************************** ***************************************
    There is only one thing I know of that will cure your problem now and for good see photo...
    Throttle lock and wrist rest.
    fullsizeoutput_6643.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display