Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    The only thing to watch for is the API Donut with label saying "RESOURCE CONSERVING", most oils with viscosity of xW30 or less will have that since they have friction modifier(s) added. Oils with xW40 and higher don't have friction modifier(s) and they are safe for use in engines with wet clutch.
    Also the Rotella T6 5W40 is excellent engine oil but it is not certified to use in gasoline engines per API Service classification, reading the label, it is designed for Diesel Engines with certain additives. I'm sure Rotella T6 oil won't harm Spyder engines - vTwin or Triple - on long run but why take a risk just to save a few dollars on your $20K plus toy.
    Just my 2cents.

Cheers!
    Where did you see that T-6 is NOT CERTIFIED for use in gasoline engines ???????? ..... Thanks Mike

Spyder Garage

This should be The End of any 710 discussion.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Check this document out

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...sae-15w-40.pdf

Rotella T6 is CK-4 certified but nowhere in the document mentions that is is SN or SM certified for gasoline engine. Not even JASO MA certified. It just happens that diesel engines require higher viscosity oil and this T6 is one of the best out there for diesel engines.
    Motorcycle owners see this full synthetic T6 in the viscosity that matches the requirement of motorcycle engines with wet clutch, at very good price compare to motorcycle oil, so most of them switched to this T6. Many motorcycle owners swear by this oil. And I somewhat agree. I used that T6 once in my '13 RTL until last spring when I changed the engine oil I switched back to Mobil1 5W40 European car formula. Engines in the Spyders were designed and manufactured in Europe by Rotax so using Euro formula oil seems to be a logical choice.
    No Offend to anybody here, just my own experience and opinion.

Cheers!
    But doesn't the yellow 'Specifications & Approvals' block on page 2 of that linked document ^^ include both JASO and MA/MA2 in T6's listed approvals??

Besides, most diesel oils are not only 'suitable' for gasoline engines, but pretty much meet & exceed all the relevant gasoline lubricant standards, with the addition of added cleaning/detergent agents & anti-foaming properties.... So generally, if the viscosity range is appropriate, a diesel oil is not only 'suitable' for a gasoline engine, it's even better than 'just suitable'!

But it is your Spyder, you can run what you like - me, I usually run a full synthetic 10W40 Penrite oil that's specifically suited for 4 stroke wet clutch motorcycle engines (with JASO & MA cert's ) AND it's ALSO listed as being "suitable for most petrol, diesel, or racing internal combustion engines" that require oil in the same viscosity range besides!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2021 at 02:56 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check this document out

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...sae-15w-40.pdf

Rotella T6 is CK-4 certified but nowhere in the document mentions that is is SN or SM certified for gasoline engine. Not even JASO MA certified. It just happens that diesel engines require higher viscosity oil and this T6 is one of the best out there for diesel engines.
    Motorcycle owners see this full synthetic T6 in the viscosity that matches the requirement of motorcycle engines with wet clutch, at very good price compare to motorcycle oil, so most of them switched to this T6. Many motorcycle owners swear by this oil. And I somewhat agree. I used that T6 once in my '13 RTL until last spring when I changed the engine oil I switched back to Mobil1 5W40 European car formula. Engines in the Spyders were designed and manufactured in Europe by Rotax so using Euro formula oil seems to be a logical choice.
    No Offend to anybody here, just my own experience and opinion.

Cheers!
    Well YOU really need to read the Label that you just posted a LINK to : The yellow spec box says JASO DH-2 , MA / MA-2 .... if a Spyder is used in a mostly VERY warm climate I would use the 15w-40 weight but most here only use the 5W or 10W - 40 weight. I suggest you change your posts, it's mis-information ...... thanks ... Mike