Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Who Uses Shell Rotella T-6

Any issues with this product and do you use 5-40 or 10-40
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I use 5W40 like I used in my '06 GL1800. Only one oil change so far, though.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Many oil changes and very happy with it so far but my Spyder is a VTwin so I only go 4500 miles between oil changes. I use Rotella T65W40 and my 2012 SE5 is at 69,000+.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use Rotella T6. Had had a bottle of 5W40 and added leftover Amsoil to fill. Latest oil change was the 5W 40 Shell but will change to 10W 40 at the next change.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

T6 5w-40. 3 changes. 6000 miles on the last and Blackstone said, "Try going ~8,000 miles". TBN 4.5 on the 6000 mile sample.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been using the T-6 ( 5w-40 ) for many years ..... Zero issues and have saved a bunch of money .... Walmart has great price for it , but go to the Shell Rotella site and see what they have for current RE-BATES - in the past $17.00 for a 5 Qt. jug ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

5w-40 here.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Many miles using T6 5w-40. In fact my 2020 last oil change was done at the dealer who used BRP's 5w-40 semi synthetic. I just finished doing the 28,000 mile service and I used the T6. First thing I noticed after was how much smoother it shifted. Great oil and around $6.00 a qt.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have used T6 from the very first oil change. Change every 4K miles. Have do that with my Goldwing Trikes as well 93K miles and purrs like a quite kitten.

Spyder Garage

I Guys
    I use Rotella T6 5w40 Great !!!
    FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another T6 5w-40 user here. First change on the Spyder, but have been using it in my Wing and all the Suzukis in the stable for many years.

I would use it in the cages, too, but they require 10w-30 or 0w-20. Have to go to Mobil1 for them.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I use Mobil1 5W-40 for all my motorcycles, used that on the '13 Spyder RTL too so far so good. Wally world has 5qt jug for about $25.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I plan on switching to Rotella 5-40 at my next oil change. I noticed that it comes in 4 quart jugs at Walmart. I guess I will buy 2 of them and and save the excess for the following service. The price of the oil change kit from Can Am is just absurd. $120 for 5.5 quarts of semi synthetic and a filter just can't be justified in my book.
    2018 Spyder RTL Stock
    2006 Harley Ultra Classic lots of mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    I plan on switching to Rotella 5-40 at my next oil change. I noticed that it comes in 4 quart jugs at Walmart. I guess I will buy 2 of them and and save the excess for the following service. The price of the oil change kit from Can Am is just absurd. $120 for 5.5 quarts of semi synthetic and a filter just can't be justified in my book.
    I get my oil filters (Hi-Flo) from Ron. $14 for filter with seal kit. With Rotella T6 oil it comes to around $60 per oil change.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

FWIW,
    I use T6-5w40 in my John Deere 4600, used it in my two Kawasaki Vulcans, and have a jug on standby for the RT-L.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    I've never seen it sold in a 4 qt. ( ie. 1 gal. ) jug anywhere ..... they do sell it in 5 qt. containers tho ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've never seen it sold in a 4 qt. ( ie. 1 gal. ) jug anywhere ..... they do sell it in 5 qt. containers tho ..... jmho .... Mike
    Mike,

I buy it in 1 gal containers at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil, 1 Gallon

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...a&gclsrc=3p.ds

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Mike,

I buy it in 1 gal containers at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil, 1 Gallon

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...a&gclsrc=3p.ds
    Annnnnnnnnnnnd I can tell why you can NOW buy it in One Gal. containers ..... because they are selling for the same price as they used to 2 yrs. ago, when it was a 5 qt. container .... it's like ice cream , less than than 1/2 gal cont. for the same price ..... The last time I bought some T-6 was two years ago at " Tractor Supply ", bought Two containers and got $ 17.00 re-bate ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    I use Mobil1 5W-40 for all my motorcycles, used that on the '13 Spyder RTL too so far so good. Wally world has 5qt jug for about $25.

Cheers!
    I realize this is a Shell oil topic, but anyone considering running Mobil 1 CAR oil should do so with caution, reading the label to ensure it is wet clutch approved via a JASO MA or MA2 rating.
    The Mobil 1 10w40 Sportbike motorcycle oil is used by many here with good experience.

Those that chose the Shell T6 have reported good experiences also.

Spyder Garage

It's good to see that their are many here happy with the results of Rotella T6 5w40. On the motorcycle forum at Bob Is The Oil Guy, T6 has terrible reviews due to its shearing characteristics in shared sump applications. I'll stick to my M1 4T 10w40..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I also use the t6-5/40 and will have 30 k on mine after this weekend.Update,I went to the bobistheoilguy forum and saw that there is a lot of argument about whether the t6 540 is actually is a jaso ma/ma2 or if they called it that without paying for the license to call it that.Either way Ive got a 2 gl jug that im gonna use bc I feel like it.
    Last edited by spyder01; 10-15-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I realize this is a Shell oil topic, but anyone considering running Mobil 1 CAR oil should do so with caution, reading the label to ensure it is wet clutch approved via a JASO MA or MA2 rating.
    The Mobil 1 10w40 Sportbike motorcycle oil is used by many here with good experience.

Those that chose the Shell T6 have reported good experiences also.
    The only thing to watch for is the API Donut with label saying "RESOURCE CONSERVING", most oils with viscosity of xW30 or less will have that since they have friction modifier(s) added. Oils with xW40 and higher don't have friction modifier(s) and they are safe for use in engines with wet clutch.
    Also the Rotella T6 5W40 is excellent engine oil but it is not certified to use in gasoline engines per API Service classification, reading the label, it is designed for Diesel Engines with certain additives. I'm sure Rotella T6 oil won't harm Spyder engines - vTwin or Triple - on long run but why take a risk just to save a few dollars on your $20K plus toy.
    Just my 2cents.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Any issues with this product and do you use 5-40 or 10-40
    I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug of Shell Rotella T6 5wt-40 for $75.00. At my local O'Rileys. That's 10 qts. !! Enough for the next 2 oil changes. I could barely lift the jug off the shelf.
    Just following the recommendations of many site members. At $7.50 per quart; that is a whole lot better than a lot of the "premium" oils at 10-12 dollars per quart.

Spyder Garage

If you're looking for a bargain oil, just head down to your local Walmart. Made by Warren Oil Co.. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...uart/556497072

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought a rotella t6 5/40 at FleetFarm in Wisconsin last month for 40. Shell had a 20 rebate on the size, so it was 20 for 2.5 gallons. I use Rotella in the Spyder and Deere mower, and my other small engines too. It has run well in all of them and its nice not having different oils for each machine on the shelf. When touring I buy a 1 quart Rotella available at Menards for handy top ups as my 998 does use a bit of oil on long tours (and always has). When buying Rotella always check the Shell site for possible rebates.