Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    Just got my Altimax 215/60/15 from tire rack last week. They sent a very fresh tire produced in Aug. of this year. Then I went to Harbor Freight to purchase their $189 lift that just went up to $219. My bad for procrastinating. Looks like it will work. https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html
    If you have an RT you may need more height. That HF lift will only give you about 15". Check it out first and see how high you really need to go. The tech that replaced my last rear tire had a full-sized shoplift that lifted the entire spyder waist-high. Then he raised the spyder again with another jack while on the main lift and then dropped the back of the main lift to get the rear tire and wheel out. I have one of those HF jacks and it will not by itself give me enough height.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Nothing like a bit of hyperbole to get attention.
    Unless your definition of "many hundreds" is something like "a hundred".
    As of Sept. 23, there were 73 container ships outside LA ports.
    Figures change over time, of course...

From: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/5797859001/

First, the headline: "The claim: There are more than 1,000 cargo ships off the coast of California that are not allowed to dock or unload"

"Kip Louttit, executive director of the Marine Exchange of Southern California, told USA TODAY that, as of Sept. 21, there were 153 ships of all types at both the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Of those, 64 were at dock loading or unloading cargo, 60 were at anchor and 29 were adrift off the coast." So basically about 90 ships more than normal. It's a lot, yes. But "many hundreds"?
    A bit off-topic but, absolutely, all this hyperbole from the lamestream media(s) gives one a total miss trust of just about any and all important information these days. And don't think for one minute it isn't planned this way. Sorry, off my soapbox now and back to the rear tire subject. $150 to change my rear tire at the dealership. That's better than me trying to struggle with it. I don't stoop and bend that well any longer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    A bit off-topic but, absolutely, all this hyperbole from the lamestream media(s) gives one a total miss trust of just about any and all important information these days. And don't think for one minute it isn't planned this way. Sorry, off my soapbox now and back to the rear tire subject. $150 to change my rear tire at the dealership. That's better than me trying to struggle with it. I don't stoop and bend that well any longer.
    Got it. USA Today is not part of the "lamestream media".

I probably only have a few years left of change-my-own-tires myself....
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Got it. USA Today is not part of the "lamestream media".

I probably only have a few years left of change-my-own-tires myself....
    Changing the fronts is a cakewalk but that darn rear tire is a project all its own. If like you say you can still change your own rear tire I wish you many more before you go. Lots of miles and smiles.

Spyder Garage

Gonna wait till March to buy a set of tires for my OEM front rims. If available, I'll go Formoza. If not, another set of Vredestein's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If you have an RT you may need more height. That HF lift will only give you about 15". Check it out first and see how high you really need to go. The tech that replaced my last rear tire had a full-sized shoplift that lifted the entire spyder waist-high. Then he raised the spyder again with another jack while on the main lift and then dropped the back of the main lift to get the rear tire and wheel out. I have one of those HF jacks and it will not by itself give me enough height.
    I am about 3-4K from replacement of the rear tire and I would really like to do it myself. I certainly hope this lift will go high enough after removal of the mud guard. A local guy here that works on bikes was able to change a friends rear tire with a scissors lift so I have high hopes. I plan to remove the rear shock lower bolt to remove the belt w/o changing the tension settings. I will post on how it goes.

Spyder Garage

I ordered the 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac SL from Tire Rack. they will be here tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    I am about 3-4K from replacement of the rear tire and I would really like to do it myself. I certainly hope this lift will go high enough after removal of the mud guard. A local guy here that works on bikes was able to change a friends rear tire with a scissors lift so I have high hopes. I plan to remove the rear shock lower bolt to remove the belt w/o changing the tension settings. I will post on how it goes.
    My dealer's service department quoted me an hour and a half to install a new tire. Less than an hour for both front tires but their minimum shop rate is one hour. Just from that, you can guess what's involved in replacing the rear tire even if you have all the proper tools to do it with. Good luck and keep us posted.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Time

My local Spyder Dealer can change out the rear tire in less than an hour.
    I had to go with the Kenda tire, because the Dealer would only use them.

Do what you can and enjoy the rest. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have them on my CanAm and the are good and help correct the speedo with the GPS.

Spyder Garage

I had a Kumho rear tire that I had purchased, installed by my dealer last week. They charged an hour and half labor, $155 with tax. The tech worked with me using my Krikit to set the belt at 160.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Kumhos are car tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Kumhos are car tires.
    What's your point?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Kumhos are car tires.
    Lots of folks, probably the majority, run car tires on the rear. Kumho is the only one that makes the exact same size as the OE.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

In the past, I have found TiresEasy.com to be pretty handy with good selections. However, they list only an Achilles ATR-K in that original size. I used the ATR-K a while back on a different vehicle and was very pleased with the performance. Seems like I recall seeing somewhere here on SL that some folks were using a 175 on the front. Is that true/possible? If so, it opens up a whole bunch more possibilities for front tires.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    In the past, I have found TiresEasy.com to be pretty handy with good selections. However, they list only an Achilles ATR-K in that original size. I used the ATR-K a while back on a different vehicle and was very pleased with the performance. Seems like I recall seeing somewhere here on SL that some folks were using a 175 on the front. Is that true/possible? If so, it opens up a whole bunch more possibilities for front tires.
    Just a word of caution on this ...... 175 is really about the limit in width, unless you want either re-shape the fender brackets or shim them ..... when tires are made , they try an achieve a standard number, however not all tires actually make that number..... some are slightly bigger or smaller ..... when the size you are going to use is at the limit .... check with Manufacturer for it's EXACT size ..... Mike