Spyder Garage

Default Eco mode doesn't seem to be working

I'm one of those people who believes if your vehicle has a feature it should work, even if you never use it. Well today I thought I'd see what's up with ECO mode on my 2018 Spyder RT-Limited. According to what I've read, you're supposed to press the mode button for a sec or so and ECO should appear on your gauge cluster. That's not happening. Is there some other secret squirrel thing I should be doing besides?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

the press time is more than a second.......your '18 might be different than my '15RTL. but i see an "ECO" symbol on the screen
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    the press time is more than a second.......your '18 might be different than my '15RTL. but i see an "ECO" symbol on the screen
    Yea, I got it working now. Not sure why I didn't see that little Eco thingy before, but it's showing up now. Thanks
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I just have to tap it briefly on my 2021 RTL. Besides the upshift arrow (very hard to see in bright mode), it does soften the throttle response which I immediately noticed when I accidently tapped it OFF today.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I just have to tap it briefly on my 2021 RTL. Besides the upshift arrow (very hard to see in bright mode), it does soften the throttle response which I immediately noticed when I accidently tapped it OFF today.
    I noticed the same thing while playing around with it.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

ECO mode might also help with wife's first few rides. Makes the throttle easier and she may enjoy the ease of taking off and such. Just a thought. She'll love it. Once you get those arm rests installed, then comes the drink holder to make her feel right at home.

Spyder Garage

Greg, here's what ECO mode does to the acceleration curve of the 1330 ACE engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Greg, here's what ECO mode does to the acceleration curve of the 1330 ACE engine.
    Wow…..very interesting Jaybros……thanks

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the graph JayBros. Best explanation yet of ECO mode to cross my reading.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

In reality, it should be considered rain mode.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't consider it rain mode because it does nothing more than affect the acceleration curve; it does nothing else involving the VSS. An idiot in ECO mode can still travel too fast for conditions and hydroplane or lose traction elsewhere on the road.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The fact that it automatically softens acceleration curves can be of benefit on wet roads..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The fact that it automatically softens acceleration curves can be of benefit on wet roads..
    I would agree with you in the case of an ECU re-flash wherein, I don't know maybe the ECO mode is overridden, because of the more rapid throttle response, but in the brain and right hand of an experienced rider, particularly one who has come from many years of two wheel riding, there is no better faculty than years of experience. Now, also from your perspective, when leaving a stoplight or intersection on which there are wide swaths of road paint that can be slicker than deer guts on a door knob, yes, again ECO mode might help, but I'd still vote in favor of the experienced brain and right hand. In rain one needs to remember only two words, Slow Down.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I came to the Spyder from 35 years of 2 wheeling, the latest being a 2016 Goldwing that I rode for 5 years. I use the Eco mode all the time. I am not disappointed with the acceleration of the 2021 RT in Eco mode, and appreciate the "shift up" indicator (which I sometimes ignore). I have to press the Eco button to start the Spyder, so I never bother with turning it off after the engine is running.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Interesting. I think I'm gonna play around with that setting.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

My 21 is in ECO mode, How do you turn it off? I read at the start up screen press and hold mode button for 2 seconds to switch it. I've tried that even held it up to 30 seconds. I've tried it at different screens, in neutral or in 1st, running or off It just seems to stay in ECO. I haven't tried the quick tap like was recommended in a previous post, I'll try that when I leave work tonight.

Spyder Garage

Question Throttle opening chart

The chart shows 100% throttle opening at full throttle turn. I was my understanding that the ( RT ) doee NOT open all the way unless the ECU has been re-flashed?????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRat View Post
    My 21 is in ECO mode, How do you turn it off? I read at the start up screen press and hold mode button for 2 seconds to switch it. I've tried that even held it up to 30 seconds. I've tried it at different screens, in neutral or in 1st, running or off It just seems to stay in ECO. I haven't tried the quick tap like was recommended in a previous post, I'll try that when I leave work tonight.
    After you have the spyder running just press the mode button. Do not hold it down.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue