Spyder Garage

Default 28,000 mile service on my 2020 RT

Spent the weekend doing the 28,000 mile service on my 2020 RT. What I did was change the oil and both motor and transmission filters, the gas filter, Sparkplugs, and the brake pads
    Once I got it lifted to make it easier to work on. I placed jack stands under each A-arm and wood blocks under the rear wheel to make it even. I removed all side panels. The lower panels com off in one piece. I remove the floor boards on both sides and the brake lever as that also have to come off. Once those and the top three panels are removed there is one bolt, 10mm head, (under the front of the saddle bags), and a T30 screw on the top of the panel. The rest are pop rivets (one on each side close to the A-arm is the type that looks like a screw head) the panel can then be lifted from the front and out to remove.
    Once all the panels were removed I started draining the oil. Once drained I removed the oil filter and the trans filter, replaced both, put the drain plugs back in and filled with T6 oil.
    Next was the gas filter which is located on the right side just above and rearward of the parking brake wheel. Interesting in that the OEM filter was a Wix 33095 filter (printed on the filter).
    I then went to the brake pads as I was more concerned about the wear. Turns out only one pad was paper thin and that was the inside pad on the right front wheel. Changed the all anyways.
    Waited the next day to do the sparkplugs as I know from past Spyders what a pain it is to do.
    I removed both headlights and then the computer boxes on both sides as that gave me access to remove the alum bar that the bottom of the air box clamps to. I then remove the air cleaner filter and the ring clamp inside the back of the airbox that locks in the flexible air tube. I cut the plastic zip tie that connects the two flexible air tubes together, and removed the two screws (one on each side) that hold the top of the air box down.
    To remove the left side air box I had to remove three black bolts (10mm heads) that hold the top plastic frame on and lift as I pulled the airbox clear. For the right airbox I removed it from the throttle body, but was unable to pull it out. I found that I could push it into the headlight cavity to get the clearance needed to RR the right sparkplug.
    Once started it took me 4 hours the do the sparkplugs and put everything back together. The hardest part was reattaching the flexible air tube to the clamp ring inside the airbox as it's hard to turn the ring and you have to do it by feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Wow and wow! I thought I put a bunch of miles on my '20 RT (17k/12 mo). And I'm impressed with your venture into the heart of the beast without a utube to guide you.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Wow and wow! I thought I put a bunch of miles on my '20 RT (17k/12 mo). And I'm impressed with your venture into the heart of the beast without a utube to guide you.
    I did try and find a Utube video, or a post on the 2020's but nothing came up. I did remove some things that did not need to be removed. I didn't post about that. The 56,000 mile should go quicker as I will try and avoid those mistakes.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

That is one hell of a lot of work just to do the maintenance you did. Crazy how hard it is to get to things on a Spyder. Congrats on getting it done!

Sorry for the double post. I was checking my avatar and posted again somehow.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 10-11-2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Double post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    ...... Sorry for the double post. I was checking my avatar and posted again somehow.
    It was probably a timing thing, they happen occasionally. But I hid the first one for you Dave, so no-one but us Mod/Admins & goggle etc can see it now.

And with that, let's get back to the thread topic!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks PW...., for both the description and the photos. You have kindly gone out of your way to provide help for others doing these tasks.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks a Million for the Post

Very well done and I am sure 100s of Spyder friends will enjoy the news. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    Thanks PW...., for both the description and the photos. You have kindly gone out of your way to provide help for others doing these tasks.
    My wife asked me why I posted this. I told her that I have learned so much from those that have shared their experiences and knowledge that I wanted to share mine in the hopes that it will help someone.
    She then said that someone will respond that's there's a better way. I told here that would be fantastic as I would then learn.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great work. What would be the normal cost of such an in depth service.......and more importantly, what are the odds of getting such a service without creating problems???????????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Great work. What would be the normal cost of such an in depth service.......and more importantly, what are the odds of getting such a service without creating problems???????????
    We were on a long road trip one year (9000 miles) when my wife's 2018 F3 needed this done. I remember it was close to a $1000 and it didn't need brake pads. There were no problems, but we took it to a dealer we trust.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue