Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally got to ride one of the newer RT Limited bikes.

As the title says, I got a chance to ride my buddies 2020 RT Limited for about 45-50 miles this weekend in Maggie Valley. For a little history, I started on a 2014 RT SM6 and then purchased a 2012 RSS SE5 as a stall mate to it. I love them both. But in 2017 I finally test drove a left over 2016 F3T and was hooked. That is still my current ride and with 25k+ miles it is going strong. But after test riding this 2020 RT Limited, I have some soul searching to do. I miss the acceleration from the larger rear sprocket, but the bike is just so smooth and refined in every way. I especially love the looks and the removable rear trunk. I know it is supposed to be the luxury one, but with proper suspension tweeks and better acceleration, I feel like I could be faster in the twisties with this bike due to being able to move around in the seat. The F3 series keeps you planted and is harder to move around and hang off in the curves. But if I had to pick a downside, it would be the quality that I am seeing on the newer bikes compared to my older 2016. The fitment and cheapness of some of the parts is turning me off a little. Even things such as the reflectors and make of the front fenders is much cheaper than the older ones. But I might be making the move and see for myself which is better for me. I have asked some of my local friends to keep a list of their issues and we shall see if a change is in the works for me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Best of luck in your decision, Blacklightning.

I moved from a 16 F3-L to a ‘21 RT-L. “Refined” is a good description. I reckon it handles, “stock”, every bit as well as my F3, which had Wilbers shocks, Ron’s bar and Kuhmos. Plus, the LED headlights, electronic screen, longer shock travel etc really make it a great long distance tourer (not that the F3 was bad……just that the RT is better).

I added a stabiliser bar to the RT as I prefer a flatter cornering experience, and I have upgraded the rear shock as the stock shock had a horrible squeal to it and I couldn’t get to the dealer due to Covid to get them to replace it. I don’t think I’ll change the front shocks, but that’s just me…….if I do change the front shocks, it will be to compensate a bit better on our dreadful potholed roads than anything else. I also swapped to Kenda Kanines.

I loved my F3-L, but the new RT is definitely a step up for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have the '20 RT Base. You are correct in thinking the '20+ RTs can be made to tear up the curves. Same formula everyone here knows if 'spirited' is in their blood. Upgrade sway bar. tires, shocks, & wake up the engine for ~$2k and ride in comfort while you blow thru the corners.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know where a sweet '21 RT is for sale. Just sayin'.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I know where a sweet '21 RT is for sale. Just sayin'.
    you got him,,,,,,,,,,,,,he put that sway bar on,,,,,,, knowing he was going to BUY it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Y'all want to bring that baby to life? Install a pedal commander. then hold on for your life. Installed one on my 21 RTL earlier this week and can't believe the difference. Immediate throttle response. Snap your head right off, ifin yer not ready for it. Gotta be one of my best add-ons and probably the easiest to install.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Took my 2021 RTL out of Eco mode for one trip…. PLENTY of head-snapping for me. Left tire marks on the driveway. Had a hard time NOT riding all over my ride-partner on his Venture trike and he is heavy-handed on that throttle. Went back to Eco as I am a sight-see-er driver and enjoy the higher mpg.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Y'all want to bring that baby to life? Install a pedal commander. then hold on for your life. Installed one on my 21 RTL earlier this week and can't believe the difference. Immediate throttle response. Snap your head right off, ifin yer not ready for it. Gotta be one of my best add-ons and probably the easiest to install.
    You aren't kidding! My bike came to life once I installed it on mine. Heck of a difference even if it didn't actually increase the hp.

Spyder Garage

I agree. Pedal Commander just wakes the bike up some. Sure, cruising down the highway, it isn't going to get up and fly any faster. But boy, that first few gears of just moving the throttle and it takes right off. Makes it a blast. Any you DON'T need to do it all the time, still get pretty good MPG if just taking it easy like normal. Then BLAM, decide to leave the line a little quicker this time....lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    My Pedal Commander comes tomorrow . I'm still playing with my Dynojet Power Commander V and I'm pretty close to getting it dialed-in. Spydie should really come ALIVE now. The PCV already pumped it quite well, but, I'm U.S. Government Certified 100% Wacko already (Viet Nam).
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black