Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar Vibration

I could only find a post about front end vibration on the RT. But on my F3L I'm experiencing handlebar vibration. The bike tracks straight and doesn't pull one way or the other. The tire pressures are ok in all 3 tires. I didn't see any rocks or anything anywhere. I'm running the stock tires. The vibration is at all speeds and increases on higher speed runs. I had it on a 400 mile trip this weekend and no performance issues. Just annoying. I even took my hands off the bars on an interstate (don't try at home kids) and it tracked straight at 70 mph, with the bars shaking. My dealer said something about it could be a steering sensor. IDK about that. Is this normal? My 2016 F3T didn't do this that I recall. Its not a deal breaker or performance issue, just annoying and makes a guy wonder. haha

Spyder Garage

"I'm running the stock tires."
    RED FLAG!!! At least put car tires on the front, the Kendas are krap. Federal Formoza tires are lot of bang for the buck, especially if bought at Walmart.
    If everything in the front checks out - ball joints, alignment (get one if you haven't done so) and everything is bolted tightly, then the tires should be the cure.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a balance issue. Improper balance from the start or you may have thrown a wieght. I'm running Toyo Proxes T 185/55-15 up front and since the tire shop did not have "cones" small enough to spin balance them. I tried beads. No real go on beads with tires that are "flat" profile like the Toyo Proxes T 185/55-15. It exhibited those exact symptoms so when I got home from SC my tire guy Denny broke the bead on each and emptied the beads. I'm running NOTHING now for weights & balance and they are perfect. No vibration at all up to 120mph. I'm very pleased with the quality of the Toyo Proxes T 185/55-15 (thanx Mike). They grip the road like nobody's business and are completely without the need for balance at all.

ftires.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I’m struggling finding a laser alignment around me. The dealer doesn’t have one. They said they have other ways whatever that means. I rode it about 40 miles today and it was worse than it was over the weekend. Going to have to do something sooner than later.

Spyder Garage

I would definitely switch to Federal Formosas like I did on my 2015 F3. If they are still giving any vibration after being balanced, try the Centramatic balancers from Lamonster. Works for me!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate the feedback. I'll let you all know what it ends up being.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    I’m struggling finding a laser alignment around me. The dealer doesn’t have one. They said they have other ways whatever that means. I rode it about 40 miles today and it was worse than it was over the weekend. Going to have to do something sooner than later.
    If this turns out to be an " alignment issue " .... it would be the FIRST one I've ever heard about..... good luck .... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Well I’m Peatmoss and I’m an idiot. Rode to my buddy’s house. He’s checking it out and says, “hey you know you’re missing some wheel weights over here. Sure enough, missing 2 wheel weights on the left side. Right side has six of those narrow silver weights and the left has 4. You can see where there were some there and they’re gone. That would explain it. So can I get this taken care of at any tire shop or should I just wait until my appointment at the dealer in November? Which was the earliest they could get me in.

Spyder Garage

Well they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Well I’m Peatmoss and I’m an idiot. Rode to my buddy’s house. He’s checking it out and says, “hey you know you’re missing some wheel weights over here. Sure enough, missing 2 wheel weights on the left side. Right side has six of those narrow silver weights and the left has 4. You can see where there were some there and they’re gone. That would explain it. So can I get this taken care of at any tire shop or should I just wait until my appointment at the dealer in November? Which was the earliest they could get me in.
    Truly hope you found the issue. However, I do not recall seeing a set of front tires on a Spyder requiring the same amount of balance weights on each tire. Typically a couple on one side and many on the other. Granted, you say there is remnants of where 2 weights were stuck, so maybe you have found it.

Easy to check your self, low cost too. Clean the area you say is missing the weights, use sticky duct tape and place two US Quarters in place of the missing weights. Two quarters is 0.4 ounce, likely what you see is 1/2 ounce total. If you need super exact, do two quarters and a penny. Tape well, then test ride. The amount of weight in coins is within a gram or two of two wheel weights.
    Or just take it in to the shop and let them sort it out. If you do find the money solved the problem, please get both fron tires properly balanced.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well my buddy and I had that discussion but you can see the outline where it looks like there were some there. So who knows for certain. I may try the money thing. My friend rode it and said the vibration could be felt in the floorboards too. I’m used to a Harley so I didn’t pay attention to that. I’ll let the dealer check it out. My nice weather days for riding are becoming limited so I’ll ride it as much as I can.

Spyder Garage

Well my buddy and I had that discussion but you can see the outline where it looks like there were some there. So who knows for certain. I may try the money thing. My friend rode it and said the vibration could be felt in the floorboards too. I’m used to a Harley so I didn’t pay attention to that. I’ll let the dealer check it out. My nice weather days for riding are becoming limited so I’ll ride it as much as I can.
    Entirely your call on what you guys saw and how to go about getting it resolved. My wheel balancer has resolved many Spyder factory and dealer induced problems and will balance to within 1/10 ounce. The use of coins and duct tape was merely a simple 5 minute low cost test to validate it weight had been lost. Not saying use that as a permanent fix, merely try it. Worse case you peel it off a few miles later. Again, all good, however you get it resolved. Have fun and enjoy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So dealership said I had one tire at 10 psi when I brought it in the shop for first service. I checked them before I took off and had a different reading. They said they didn’t feel any vibration in the front end on the test ride. Said Spyder can feel that way sometimes.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So dealership said I had one tire at 10 psi when I brought it in the shop for first service. I checked them before I took off and had a different reading. They said they didn’t feel any vibration in the front end on the test ride. Said Spyder can feel that way sometimes.
    IMHO besides the bad vibe issue .... I would use another dealer ......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, a Spyder can absolutely feel that way when the tires need balancing or replacing. I have worked on shaky Spyders that dealers told the owners it was normal, one dealer even refused to work on a guys Spyder any further.
    Ironic, that dealer had supposedly balanced the front tires. The owner contacted me, first front tire checked was out of balance by 1 ounce. Rebalanced on my balancer and all shaking issues resolved.
    Point being, either live with it as they tell you, or have the tires correctly balanced, then decide.