Spyder Garage

Default HELP! 2015 RTL will not start

I've got a 2015 RTL that will not fire up/start. 9840 miles. Started with no issues around 10 days ago. We have two RTs, a 2013 and 2015, that we have owned since 2016 and this has never happened before.

I haven't been riding as much as I should. Only every 2 to 3 weeks.

Had 1 1/2 yr old battery checked and voltage is good. Drained out the 10 day old fuel and put in fresh fuel. Removed panels and didn't see any obvious wiring issues. Found a forum post ref a RT not starting that talked about replacing spark plugs. Based on a youtube video I watched doing that is more work than I'm willing to do. If no one has any suggestions I'll take it to the dealership. I can only hope that due to the panels being removed the service/repair charges should be a lot less than normal! Back in 2019 my wifes 2013 RTS (3518 miles) would start fine but the motor would turn off multiple times on a what ended up being a very short ride. It was diagnosed that one of the sparkplugs was bad and we were charged $250. Has run fine every since. As a matter of fact I took it on a short ride today.

Any help would be appreciated!
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EDBLU View Post
    I've got a 2015 RTL that will not fire up/start. 9840 miles. Started with no issues around 10 days ago. We have two RTs, a 2013 and 2015, that we have owned since 2016 and this has never happened before.

Had 1 1/2 yr old battery checked and voltage is good. Drained out the 10 day old fuel and put in fresh fuel. Removed panels and didn't see any obvious wiring issues. Found a forum post ref a RT not starting that talked about replacing spark plugs. Based on a youtube video I watched doing that is more work than I'm willing to do. If no one has any suggestions I'll take it to the dealership. I can only hope that due to the panels being removed the service/repair charges should be a lot less than normal! Back in 2019 my wifes 2013 RTS (3518 miles) would start fine but the motor would turn off multiple times on a what ended up being a very short ride. It was diagnosed that one of the sparkplugs was bad and we were charged $250. Has run fine every since. As a matter of fact I took it on a short ride today.

1330 with less than 10,000 miles, very unlikely it is spark plugs.
    Can you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on? If so, my guess is your battery failed or you have a failed crank sensor.

I did not suggest the common things to verify such as kill switch position or stepping on the brake pedal, assuming your experience as an owner knows to do this.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Start with the standard issues ... loose battery connections ( add Star washers ) .... weak battery, most Auto parts stores will check it for free. ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Don’t forget check kill switch positions rock it back & forth few times-just in case. Didn’t describe any viewing of dash screen if not lighting up , definitely check battery, pull take to get load test, good full charging & try again.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dont forget to put you foot on the brake too. Could use more information for those who can help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Dont forget to put you foot on the brake too. Could use more information for those who can help.

Yes, more information would be helpful. Does the engine turn over, or not. Dash light up? Do other things like the horn operate correctly? The more information about what's happening can produce better answers/guesses...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I had a brief scare on a vacation this summer. Spyder wouldn't start up.
    Battery connections were loose. Tightened them up, started up like normal.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had 1 1/2 yr old battery checked and voltage is good.
    Voltage is not a reliable indicator. Near dead batteries can show full voltage. Amperage reserve is what matters. Does the cluster screen go wonky when you hit the start button? If so, the battery needs charging. If it shows full charge but the screen goes wonky, the battery is shot. The computer must see at least 10.5 volts when you hit the start button. If it doesn't then there is no start.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

cranking amps are a better gauge, or LOAD test!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Most of those I checked out and they were ok. Crank sensor? Unknown. Tomorrow I'll pull the battery off of my wifes Spyder and try to crank mine. I've had battery issues on both bikes before and I just don't believe thats the problem. But if wrong I will come on here and say so.

Link I mentioned in original post

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...park-any-ideas
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can also jump start w/portable jumper. If it starts you’ll know battery is in need of replacing

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Link in Post #10

All good tips. The link in post #10, is about the best way to give you the flow chart check list.

I have found that the Spyder can be a little bit tricky sometimes.

Good Luck with Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Post #10 Link

Most of those I checked out and they were ok. Crank sensor? Unknown. Tomorrow I'll pull the battery off of my wifes Spyder and try to crank mine. I've had battery issues on both bikes before and I just don't believe thats the problem. But if wrong I will come on here and say so.

Link I mentioned in original post

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...park-any-ideas
    Lots of good stuff. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about checking for codes. So anymore info you can provide would help you out faster.

Spyder Garage

That darned KILL SWITCH got me about a month ago. Spent 1 hour unable to start my 2014 RTL in my neighbor's driveway!! Felt like a true dummy when it started after leaning on the handlebars and hearing a click sound. ...... the dreaded Kill Switch Glitch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    How about checking for codes. So anymore info you can provide would help you out faster.
    How to I check codes?
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How to I check codes?
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/news...r-fault-codes/

Spyder Garage

OK. Thanks
    2015 RT , Black