Spyder Garage

Spyder Need High & Low beam adjustment on RT 2010 Spyder SE5?

Hi all", I am having problem adjusting my high and low beam on mt Canam RT Techno. I have the instructions right beside me pages 496 and 497. I turn the front brass adjuster clockwise or ant clockwise to adjust the low bean and it works, however when I turn the rear brass adjuster for high bean nothing happens the beam dows not go up or down. I am tking the spyder for a 3.5 hour ride this Wednesday to get

REPLACE DPS UNIT
    REPLACE FRONT TYRES AND BALANCE
    REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND FLUID
    CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS
    CARRY OUT WHEEL ALIGNMENT

I ask them to adjust the high and low beam too. The high beam is too low and the low beam is too low.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all", I am having problem adjusting my high and low beam on mt Canam RT Techno. I have the instructions right beside me pages 496 and 497. I turn the front brass adjuster clockwise or ant clockwise to adjust the low bean and it works, however when I turn the rear brass adjuster for high bean nothing happens the beam dows not go up or down. I am tking the spyder for a 3.5 hour ride this Wednesday to get

REPLACE DPS UNIT
    REPLACE FRONT TYRES AND BALANCE
    REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND FLUID
    CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS
    CARRY OUT WHEEL ALIGNMENT

I ask them to adjust the high and low beam too. The high beam is too low and the low beam is too low.
    There are TWO adjusters, one on each side..... so you can adjust each headlight separately. The High / Low settings are a function of the SHUTTER mechanism. .... if you adjust for beam height, the entire assembly will move either up or down .....( the same as Auto headlights ) the shutter is connected to this assembly and moves accordingly ..... at least this is my understanding of how it works ..... I'm sure someone will enlighten both of us .... at least I hope so .....Mike ..... MY answer on this DOES NOT APPLY, because I didn't see where the OP was located .... what I posted would only apply to Spyders made for north America ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds as if the cable that adjusts the low beams is functioning fine. The cable for high beam may have failed, or are you sure the cable is turning. There should be a 5mm allen setup inside the brass knob, might try verifying the cable is truly functioning. The size may be different than 5mm, but close.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There are TWO adjusters, one on each side..... so you can adjust each headlight separately. The High / Low settings are a function of the SHUTTER mechanism. .... if you adjust for beam height, the entire assembly will move either up or down .....( the same as Auto headlights ) the shutter is connected to this assembly and moves accordingly ..... at least this is my understanding of how it works ..... I'm sure someone will enlighten both of us .... at least I hope so .....Mike
    That is the case for North American spec Spyders, but not applicable for an Aussie spec Spyder like peterRT's - we've got single filament Low Beam lights in the slot you get to put the optional Fog lights (& YES, they are always gonna be waaayy too low for safe Low Beam ryding! ) and single filament Hi Beam lights without a shutter where you get your Hi and Low low beam lights as determined by the shutter position.

So peterRT's issue is pretty much standard for all Aussie spec headlights - "The high beam is too low and the low beam is too low." The sad news is that because our Low beam lights are physically situated so low/close to the ground and our High beams have a vertical loom pattern, it's very difficult to see &/or adjust either of them individually or collectively in a way that really helps make them useful in either/both circumstances!! Many just add some 'Driving lights' to make their Low beam safe around town; and/or 'Spread beam' lights to make their Hi beam ryding safe out on the the open road; while others convert their High beams lights to 'Four Eyes' so that both High & Low lights remain on whenever High beam is selected; and others convert their Aussie spec single filament High beam lights to twin filament globes & then bridge/transfer the Low beam wiring up to reach those globes in the upper lenses, so that we can then run both High AND Low beam lights in the upper lights, leaving the former Lows beam position to be used as either Daytime Running Lights (they are really pretty useless at that tho, they are still physically too low... ) or as Fog Lights, as they were originally designed/intended to be!

All of which means that I'm sorry peterRT, but I really don't think you'll ever be able to adjust both your High & Low lights to work suitably properly across the board; they are either gonna be too high & dazzling for other road users in one or both settings; or they'll be too low & unsafe for you while ryding at any reasonable highway speeds at night in one or both settings - and even if you do get the High beams high enough to give you reasonable distance vision at sub-legal Highway speed limits, it's still gonna be a 'straight down the guts' beam pattern with very little spread out the sides/onto the verges to help you avoid those big hoppers &/or any other nocturnal road crossing critters!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I check to see if the cable to adjust the light is working tomorrow

thanks Peter

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter

that explains a lot

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Hi peter", yeah I read your post and the spyder low beam lights at night are scary to ride because your can't see far infront of you. I feel like riding on high beam at night all the time, but I won't. On Wednesday I will be at Melbourne SeaDoo Essendon and the guy said he they will be able to adjust the lights. If I am not satisfied< aybe I put driving lights on it. Which way would you go with lighting peter?, or what have you done on your spyder regards to lighting?

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Hi all", I have adjusted my low beam by turning the allen head screws. i can see the beam lowering and raising when I turn the allen head, however the allen head screws at the back that are supposed to adjust the beam are not making any difference whether I turn them clockwise or anti clockwise. I may end up just getting driving lights fr the Spyder. I have now fitted LED high beam light globes from Tricled and when I took the old globes out, I turned the cable adjusters and I could see them changing position while I had them on the bench, so I go for a ride tonight and see if I have adjusted them too high.

Regards PeteRT
    Last edited by peterRT; 12-01-2021 at 08:16 PM.