Spyder Garage

Default What is involved in Rotating the Handlebar Controls?

I have recently added handlebar risers to my '21 RTL. I also rotated the the bars slightly back towards me.

What is involved in rotating the controls so that they're sitting in the same relative position as they were before the rotation?

As they are now, the shift button is slightly underneath the handgrip, and shifting causes an unnatural reach for the button.

I have loosened the T15 screws on the back, to no effect. Is the answer as simple as loosening the allen heads? The two sections appear to be independent.

--Exco

Spyder Garage

Loosen the collar bolts near the grips/switch block enough to take the squeeze off the assembly. The blocks slide inside the drop tube ends clamped by the collar. It may be tight to start but will loosen. You should be able to rotate the switch gear block then retighten the collar.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Loosen the collar bolts near the grips/switch block enough to take the squeeze off the assembly. The blocks slide inside the drop tube ends clamped by the collar. It may be tight to start but will loosen. You should be able to rotate the switch gear block then retighten the collar.
    Thanks!

Are you referring to the T15 screws (red in the pic) or the allen head screws (yellow in the pic)? It sounds like you're talking about the allen heads.

--Exco
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Your yellow circle. Allen bolts on the bottom. Loosen that collar to free the switch block pressure.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your 2021 may not be like my 2014 RT ..... on mine there is a " locating hole " in the handle-bar itself. It's a small oval which severely limits how much the controls can be changed .... because there is a corresponding NUB on the inside of the control ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed extra CR's

Spyder Garage

As Mike mentions above, there is a nub…….not sure if the ‘21RT still has it or not. On my ‘16 F3, I took a Dremel to the slot and elongated it by 1/4”, as I couldn’t turn the controls enough in the stock configuration.

I didn’t have to do it on my ‘21RT as I bought Helibars, which allow you to rotate the controls (and just about everything else), to your heart’s content

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. There was a nub. Like Peteoz did, I used a dremel to elongate the hole.

I was able to rotate the controls to a more comfortable position.

--Exco