Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Finally got a chance to get a good look at the front tires. Federal Formoza's. As I said, almost new. The thing I noticed was that there were no balance weights on either tire, inside or out nor any indication that there had ever been. Had they shimmied all the time and I never noticed? I am going to bring the Spyder in and have the balance and front bearings checked while the wheel is off.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Finally got a chance to get a good look at the front tires. Federal Formoza's. As I said, almost new. The thing I noticed was that there were no balance weights on either tire, inside or out nor any indication that there had ever been. Had they shimmied all the time and I never noticed? I am going to bring the Spyder in and have the balance and front bearings checked while the wheel is off.
    The reality of the latest ( quality ) Auto tires is - they may not have needed balancing. If they were mounted with the valve in the proper place, it's possible they were OK ...... good luck , keep us posted ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Most likely, they balanced them placing weights along the rims centerline. Did you look there for weights also? Then again, maybe no weights were installed as others suggested. FWIW, the Formoza tires on our Spyder did require some weight to balance correctly. I recently installed Formoza tires on my friends 2021 RT. His too required some weights.

The shop will resolve it for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As for the idea of “throwing” a balance weight, anything is possible. These wheels require stick on weights and if not cleaned correctly may not remain stuck.

~~~One way to keep the stick on wheel weights from flying off- after you clean the surrounding area on the wheel, place a strip of duct tape over these wheel weights- old racer trick!

Note: not all duct tape comes in the prison shade of grey. You can find/buy duct tape in various colors. For instance, when the time comes for Jake to get around to “taping” the existing wheel weights on his dark RTL, Jake will purchase black duct tape to match his black wheels, keeping it stealthy. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~One way to keep the stick on wheel weights from flying off- after you clean the surrounding area on the wheel, place a strip of duct tape over these wheel weights- old racer trick!

Note: not all duct tape comes in the prison shade of grey. You can find/buy duct tape in various colors. For instance, when the time comes for Jake to get around to “taping” the existing wheel weights on his dark RTL, Jake will purchase black duct tape to match his black wheels, keeping it stealthy. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    I recommend black " Gorilla " tape ....it's way stickier than normal Duct tape .... and it's black ..... Also clean the area with alcohol before applying ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In all my hours of riding 2,3 and 4 wheel machines, if anything was out of whack or out of balance it always showed itself first in the handlebars and shortly thereafter in the seat as it gets worse. As mentioned here before, don't ignore the rear wheel being out of balance/out of round.

Spyder Garage

Spoke to shop (not dealer). Says out of balance wouldn't cause shimmy, just vibration. Bringing it in next Tues for look see. Hopefully, nothing super serious.

Spyder Garage

Spoke to shop (not dealer). Says out of balance wouldn't cause shimmy, just vibration. Bringing it in next Tues for look see. Hopefully, nothing super serious.
    Simply curious, if not a dealer, what kind of shop did you speak with and schedule in?

Spyder Garage

Merely curious, how did you make out getting the problem resolved?

Regarding another Spyder that had similar issues, that S2S I helped the guy with. He called yesterday. Mentioned he logged 3000 vibration free miles traveling around the Southeast USA. Even with oem Kenda tires, he had no shakes and tested above triple digits too. Spyders can be awesome when right, and a handful when not.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone used " balance beads" on their 3 wheeler.
    Have used them in a Buell and Harley XR1200 with no issues.

Spyder Garage

Simply curious, if not a dealer, what kind of shop did you speak with and schedule in?
    I use a shop that works on all cycles including Spyders. Very good, very knowledgeable. If you can get in and out in 2 weeks, consider it a victory. Hope to bring it in this week. Have been sick for the last week.

Spyder Garage

I use a shop that works on all cycles including Spyders. Very good, very knowledgeable. If you can get in and out in 2 weeks, consider it a victory. Hope to bring it in this week. Have been sick for the last week.
    Just curious and hoping you got it sorted out. Feel better and hopefully it is an easy fix for them.

Spyder Garage

Just curious and hoping you got it sorted out. Feel better and hopefully it is an easy fix for them.
    Finally got it into the shop. It will be a few days (I hope) and we'll find out. Driving there, I accelerated to above 48 mph. Still a little shimmy (in my mind), but not as bad. Maybe its my imagination?

Spyder Garage

Finally got it into the shop. It will be a few days (I hope) and we'll find out. Driving there, I accelerated to above 48 mph. Still a little shimmy (in my mind), but not as bad. Maybe its my imagination?
    Just curious, did your shop determine the cause of your wheel shimmy and get it resolved. Finally cooling off here in Florida, I’m sure you want to be riding.