Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shimmy at about 48 mph up to 56 mph - best guess?

2015 RTL. 19,000 miles. Almost new auto tires front and rear. Tires have been balanced, laser alignment, BajaRon sway bar, 18 psi front, 20 psi rear. Have tried 16 psi front.
    Same difference. Just started getting a shimmy starting at about 48 mph, at least up to 56 mph. Prior to this, very smooth. Best guess?

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    2015 RTL. starting at about 48 mph, at least up to 56 mph. Prior to this, very smooth. Best guess?
    I’d first heck the tires very carefully, looking for possible tread separations. Second thing I’d be checking would be the wheel bearings. jmho wdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Similar here goes away when ease off throttle. Starts very minor think DPS exaggerates what little there actually is.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I'd be surprised if it is tread seperation. Almost brand new auto tires. Will see about the wheel bearings although, no lead up to the shimmy, was just there one day.

Spyder Garage

Can anything can be done about it?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your description is interesting (shimmy). Can you tell if its the front or back doing it? Sometime if you have a rear wheel bearing go bad it will give what I would call a shimmy feeling. Rear Wheel bearings are not expensive and are often done when changing the rear wheel or get damaged when changing the rear wheel and you end up with the bearing problem soon after the tire change.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Drive it down and get your tires correctly balanced...

Recent semi local 2021 Sea 2 Sky had the same symptoms. Route 1 could not fix it and told him it was normal. 10 minutes to determine the cause, about 15 minutes to correct. Not that I endorsed his test speed or method, he returned stating the issue was resolved and glass smooth with hands off at well above posted speed limit.

Spyder Garage

You may have thrown a weight from your front wheel balance. I'd take the front wheels off and have them road force balanced. To me, that is the first, least expensive and logical place to start. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

OK bear with me on this one. I had the same problem on a stretch of highway that I let it all out just to get some revs in the engine. All of a sudden about four weeks ago I started developing a shimmy in my front end over 50 miles an hour. I thought it quite strange as it’s never happened before. Couple of days later I was on the same highway but about 5 miles away, and I dropped the hammer as usual. No shimmy. The next day I went on the original set of Highway doing the same thing and just like that the shimmy showed back up. So I experimented a little and found out that at lower speeds nothing happened but it higher speeds my front end started to shimmy. I went on the other side of the four-lane in the same area and you guessed it, no shimmy. That’s it, it was caused by the highway and not the bike. So the long and the short of it is if you’re experiencing this on the same stretch of road try it on another. I know it seems simplistic but it’s solved my problem.

Spyder Garage

I had a friend that had a bad shake at that same speed, I checked his front end out and found some slightly loose bottom ball joints, and one slightly loose connecting rod! But out of all of that said, we started by having the tires balanced by another shop, and it was bad!!! Bike feels good now, we will keep a eye on all the rest of the stuff!!! I would start with a recheck on the tire balance!!! Maybe another tire shop!!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I had a friend that had a bad shake at that same speed, I checked his front end out and found some slightly loose bottom ball joints, and one slightly loose connecting rod! But out of all of that said, we started by having the tires balanced by another shop, and it was bad!!! Bike feels good now, we will keep a eye on all the rest of the stuff!!! I would start with a recheck on the tire balance!!! Maybe another tire shop!!! Good luck!
    Agree, see it often, shakes with so called balanced tires, so an owner starts checking all sorts of other stuff...
    As mentioned, that S2S had been worked on by a dealer, there so called balanced tires had one good one and one out by 1 1/4 ounce. Imagine that, with both balanced it ended the problem.

As for the idea of “throwing” a balance weight, anything is possible. These wheels require stick on weights and if not cleaned correctly may not remain stuck. Typically though, they are difficult to remove. I have to use a plastic scraper and it takes some effort to get them off.

Regardless, all the best with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Your description is interesting (shimmy). Can you tell if its the front or back doing it? Sometime if you have a rear wheel bearing go bad it will give what I would call a shimmy feeling. Rear Wheel bearings are not expensive and are often done when changing the rear wheel or get damaged when changing the rear wheel and you end up with the bearing problem soon after the tire change.
    The shimmy is definately in the handlebars. Could the rear wheel cause something like this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    OK bear with me on this one. I had the same problem on a stretch of highway that I let it all out just to get some revs in the engine. All of a sudden about four weeks ago I started developing a shimmy in my front end over 50 miles an hour. I thought it quite strange as it’s never happened before. Couple of days later I was on the same highway but about 5 miles away, and I dropped the hammer as usual. No shimmy. The next day I went on the original set of Highway doing the same thing and just like that the shimmy showed back up. So I experimented a little and found out that at lower speeds nothing happened but it higher speeds my front end started to shimmy. I went on the other side of the four-lane in the same area and you guessed it, no shimmy. That’s it, it was caused by The highway and not the bike. So the long and the short of it is if you’re experiencing this on the same stretch of road try it on another. I know it seems simplistic but it’s solved my problem.
    I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, it happens on a couple of different roads, including two newly paved roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Drive it down and get your tires correctly balanced...

Recent semi local 2021 Sea 2 Sky had the same symptoms. Route 1 could not fix it and told him it was normal. 10 minutes to determine the cause, about 15 minutes to correct. Not that I endorsed his test speed or method, he returned stating the issue was resolved and glass smooth with hands off at well above posted speed limit.
    Wish we were closer. Will try a different repair shop (notice, I didn't say "dealer") to check the wheel balance after I take a look to see if there is anything obvious.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any auto tire business can easily balance your front tires if they do it correctly. Do you recall when the shimmy first started?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IF the tire is actually DEFECTIVE ( and a lot of Kenda's are ) there is a good chance that it will NEVER balance, even using a proper Spin Balancer ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

'

When I purchased my 2014 the shimmy and bounce was so bad on the front tires that both the RIMs and tires had to be replaced. Now with auto tires( with minimum balance weights )---------rides smooth up to about 100mph.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IF the tire is actually DEFECTIVE ( and a lot of Kenda's are ) there is a good chance that it will NEVER balance, even using a proper Spin Balancer ..... jmho .... Mike
    But he stated in the opening post, he has three cars installed for a while now.

In regards to a defective tire that is not round, you can absolutely balance them. However, the out of roundness will not be an imbalance but rather a mechanical hop that could feel similar. Two kids on a see saw, one skinny and light, the other older larger and heavier. With an adjust of the fulcrum point, balance can be achieved. However, the distance from the fulcrum will be different, similar to the out of round tire that is balanced. The difference in distance from center creates the hop.

Spyder Garage

Wish we were closer. Will try a different repair shop (notice, I didn't say "dealer") to check the wheel balance after I take a look to see if there is anything obvious.

They must check precession also.

BTW, what tires are they.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Agree, see it often, shakes with so called balanced tires, so an owner starts checking all sorts of other stuff...
    As mentioned, that S2S had been worked on by a dealer, there so called balanced tires had one good one and one out by 1 1/4 ounce. Imagine that, with both balanced it ended the problem.

As for the idea of “throwing” a balance weight, anything is possible. These wheels require stick on weights and if not cleaned correctly may not remain stuck. Typically though, they are difficult to remove. I have to use a plastic scraper and it takes some effort to get them off.

Regardless, all the best with it.
    Walked past the bike in the garage a while back and noticed a weight laying on the floor next to the wheel. Just sitting there it fell off. Probably 750 miles on newly installed tires. Back to the shop... When I got my bike back from the shop after a major service, it seems they had sprayed everything with Armor-All. Best guess, they got it on the wheel before they balanced it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Walked past the bike in the garage a while back and noticed a weight laying on the floor next to the wheel. Just sitting there it fell off. Probably 750 miles on newly installed tires. Back to the shop... When I got my bike back from the shop after a major service, it seems they had sprayed everything with Armor-All. Best guess, they got it on the wheel before they balanced it.
    As I mentioned it can happen. Unfortunately for you, it appears the tech doing the balance failed to correctly prep the rim to receive the balance weights, but then again, you rode 750 miles without issue, so my guess would be a cleaner used has the ability to release the weight.

As long as it is good now, right it off as it happens. For this guy, my point of the posts reverts back to a wheel imbalance, regardless of the reason, whether a weight fell off, was bumped off, or he has a huge spike in his tire.

Always check tne easy simple stuff first before expecting a ginormous problem.

Spyder Garage

Has any body checked if the WHEEL was out of round????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Has any body checked if the WHEEL was out of round????
    As I read the original, kind indicates all was good, suppose he could have hit a curb or bent a wheel on tracks.
    I am fortunate, my balancer allows unobstructed witnessing of the wheel, and the wheel/tire for hops, wobbles or even bends, that could set the rotating mass irregular.

Spyder Garage

Can anything can be done about it?

~~~used to read a lot of posts on the ST (Honda ST1100) forum, peeps complaint about this. Almost always tire related

I had a 99’ Honda ST1100. I remember it having a front wheel shimmy as you describe at one time or another. I was 3rd owner. Picked it up w/20 K miles in Y2K. IIRC I sold it in '05 w/99K miles. The more I think about it, a new front tire solved the problem. It was a low speed wobble. Could feel it coming on around 35 MPH & it disappeared before I hit 50 MPH. Tires and bikes, especially fronts do strange things sometimes. Rotsa ruck w/ your situation

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind �� finds a nut every once in a while
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2021 at 03:12 AM. Reason: too many 'z's in espczzilly %-/
    2020 Rally , Black