Spyder Garage

Default Use the same Tire pressure riding 2 up?

Get ready for a trip going to riding 2 up and luggage do you still run same tire pressure as you do riding locally I use same pressure all the time 1 or 2 people but with the extra stuff should I raise pressure just a little or leave it the same. Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Get ready for a trip going to riding 2 up and luggage do you still run same tire pressure as you do riding locally I use same pressure all the time 1 or 2 people but with the extra stuff should I raise pressure just a little or leave it the same. Thanks
    To put this in perspective, you need to think in terms of " what % is the extra weight going to be " . If you only load up the Frunk , rear trunk and side bags to their suggested Limit (depending on which Spyder model you have), this could be about 75lb for an RT or less for other models .... a trailer doesn't actually ADD to the load because the " tongue weight shouldn't exceed 40 lbs." .... If you have Auto tires 1 or 2 psi in the rear tire will be enough to compensate for a full load. If you normally run 15psi front , 1 psi will suffice. ...Auto tires are much stronger to begin with so a very small change has a very large effect. .... The PSI you use has quite a bit of an effect on the RIDE Quality ( Auto tires ) ..... Hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

BK, maybe you know Longtimer well, but the rest of us may not know if he is running a CT. How about expanding your answer to the Kendas for those of us still running them?
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

BRP provides the proper tire pressure in its operators manual as well as on a placard on the Spyder. There is no mention of changing tire pressure whether you are alone, 2 up or are at maximum load for a trip. I ride the BRP recommended tire pressure in all conditions with no adverse affects.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    BK, maybe you know Longtimer well, but the rest of us may not know if he is running a CT. How about expanding your answer to the Kendas for those of us still running them?
    I tried to cover both types of tires ( hence identifying Auto tires separately ) .... and No I don't know " longtimer " ..... I had considerable " training " in how Auto Tires react during normal operation and during an accident ..... This was before Spyders existed , and before Kenda made " special Mtc. tires " for them ..... What I feel confident in on the Kenda's is they are marginal in their application, I wouldn't trust them on even the lightweight " Smart car " ..... the reason the rear 225 width wears out sooner than the 165 fronts related to physics ( and weak construction ) , a wide tire with a weak casing will balloon in the center because the width allows for it .... this doesn't occur Equally for the fronts because they are 60 mm ( 2.36 in. ) narrower...... hope this helps .... Mike :thumbup

Spyder Garage

I know better then leave out that info. 2020 RTL with stock kenda tire been running 20 and 28 psi. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I have car tires. 18psi in all three all the time. The only adjusment I make is to add a bit of air to the rear shock for heavier loads. I have the base model RT which doesn't have the auto leveling rear shock and personally I don't want that feature.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Car tires, 16 front 18 rear and I never change the pressure. 1 up 2 up or pulling a trailer.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Kenda Tires

Front 20psi, Rear 26psi. All the time 1 or 2 up.
    Rear Kenda lasts longer at this psi. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Front 20psi, Rear 26psi. All the time 1 or 2 up.
    Rear Kenda lasts longer at this psi. ......
    Tire PSI using Kenda's, has very little to do with WEAR, as long as keep them at or near the BRP recommended amount. Because Kenda is very weakly made the speed they are used at will determine the Wear factor. Any tire with a weak casing will Balloon at the tire center the faster it rotates. This will cause it to wear there sooner. Kenda tires on the front are not as effected by this as much as the rear because they are quite a bit narrower. ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My front OEM Kenda's began cupping from day one. Took them off and mounted Formoza's. I still have the Kenda's sitting in the garage and anyone can have them free of charge, just pay shipping and handling. If not maybe I'll use the make a swing from the tree in the backyard for little grandkids. What the hay that's about all they are good for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    My front OEM Kenda's began cupping from day one. Took them off and mounted Formoza's. I still have the Kenda's sitting in the garage and anyone can have them free of charge, just pay shipping and handling. If not maybe I'll use the make a swing from the tree in the backyard for little grandkids. What the hay that's about all they are good for.
    You obviously got a BAD set..... which happens all to frequently ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You obviously got a BAD set..... which happens all to frequently ... Mike
    Yep. If you stay up to date on this site and ask questions and monitor answers to those questions and read similar subject matter, answers will come hard and fast. Just pay attention and you'll save time and money.