Thread: I got got

Spyder Garage

Default I got got

Received a surprise letter in the mail today from the police in a neighboring county. A one hundred and twelve dollar Red Light Ticket.

I could have sworn it was yellow when I went through.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Address the check to BIG BROTHER.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You driving in Chicago. I think they charge by how fast you are driving.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You driving in Chicago. I think they charge by how fast you are driving.
    No I'm in Washington. According to Google the maximum fine is $48.00 plus fees, so I guess $64.00 is fees alone. Hell of a racket the states got going huh?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I here you.

You should see the city sticker fees..LOL Talk about a racket.

Spyder Garage

Here in Arizona they supply us with a picture taken of the light being red when the vehicle ENTERS the intersection. The picture accompanying the ticket is a little fuzzy. But if challenged, they really do have high rez pics of your face, vehicle plate, and red light. You can't win. On a side note..... Before issuing a ticket here the DMV tries to match the vehicle and driver with the DMV records. If the drivers face does not match what is on record, they issue a ticket and say you MUST tell them who was driving your vehicle. You can just respond that several people had access to your vehicle and you have no idea who it was. Nothing they can do then. Also, the state does not pursue red light runners with out of state plates. Too much work for them I guess..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It’s very interesting. If the red light camera program is run by a private entity, in many states you can tell them just to stick it. Private companies do not have the authority to issue summons. After a study that was done a couple years ago, it was found they are juicing the yellow light by about a half a second. Doesn’t sound like much but it increases revenue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Received a surprise letter in the mail today from the police in a neighboring county. A one hundred and twelve dollar Red Light Ticket.

I could have sworn it was yellow when I went through.....
    Same thing happened to me. I live in FL and went on a trip to OK. When I got home I had a ticket in the mail from Tuscaloosa AL. The ticket included a link to a video of me going through the red light . . crystal clear ! Couldn't argue with that. Cost me $125 !
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Stuff happens. But...you were having a good time that day....right??

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    It’s very interesting. If the red light camera program is run by a private entity, in many states you can tell them just to stick it. Private companies do not have the authority to issue summons. After a study that was done a couple years ago, it was found they are juicing the yellow light by about a half a second. Doesn’t sound like much but it increases revenue.
    That is exactly what was going on in our town several years ago. Folks were ticked and they came down on council and the mayor so hard that the program was eliminated. Next election the mayor and most of council were eliminated as well
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Beaverton, Oregon (slammed nest to Portland) was "juicing" the yellow by more than a second and eventually got their hand caught in the cookie jar. They had to refund and expunge the hundreds of citations issued.
    There is an organization that is our only advocate as motorists, the NATIONAL MOTORISTS ASSOCIATION. They go back to the dark days of the 55mph limit and were the main force behind getting it repealed. Today, they concentrate on fighting traffic cameras, Vision Zero and much more. Well worth looking into and supporting.
    https://www.motorists.org/
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is only the tip of the iceberg that's coming ..... FOR ALL of US .... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

A few years back I got a ticket in the mail for not paying a toll crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma WA. That is clear on the other side of the state from me, and I haven’t been over there in years. I called the number they provided and gave them the reference number on the notice they sent.

I guess they pulled up the image and agreed the license was not very clear so I was told they were going to cancel it. About a month later I got a second notice in the mail. Another phone call and was again advised it would be cancelled. I never got anymore, so I’m guessing in this case 2nd times the charm.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    A few years back I got a ticket in the mail for not paying a toll crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma WA. That is clear on the other side of the state from me, and I haven’t been over there in years. I called the number they provided and gave them the reference number on the notice they sent.

I guess they pulled up the image and agreed the license was not very clear so I was told they were going to cancel it. About a month later I got a second notice in the mail. Another phone call and was again advised it would be cancelled. I never got anymore, so I’m guessing in this case 2nd times the charm.
    Count yourself lucky that this was straightened out so quickly.

I had a similar experience and it was a nightmare. I got ticket after ticket (from EZ Pass), each time for running tolls in New Jersey. (I hadn't been to NJ for YEARS at that time.) Important Note: I live in New York State, about 3 hours from NJ. Each time, it was the same error - NJ mistook a "V" on the toll runner's car's license plate for a "Y" which then matched my plate. Even though my car's mfr/model wasn't even close to the car in the photo, I kept getting tickets over a 2 or 3 year period. I never had to pay any fine, but explaining the same error over and over was frustrating as hell. Being that I lived in NY and the fine came from NJ, I had nobody to complain to who cared.

Bottom line: I ended up changing license plates - on my dime. But that didn't clear things up either because it turns out that, in NY State, the plates you turn in stay on your DMV record forever - even though they are never issued again! Finally, I got lucky - it turned out that a candidate for Mayor of my town worked for DMV. I contacted him and told him that he'd earn my vote by straightening this hole mess out with DMV/EZ Pass. He did - I voted for him - but he lost.

I don't know whether DMV/EZ Pass ever pursued collecting from the actual toll runner, but I sure hope they did.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

You guys are lucky. here in Ontario they came up with the " Racing Law" which covers just about everything.
    You get caught going 50kpm (30mph) over the limit, you get
    Your car or bike impounded for a week at your cost (yards charge what they want per day)
    You lose your licence for a week.
    Then you get to see the judge and see how long you lose your licence plus a fine.
    Rumor has it that it is going to be increased to a month impound and 30 day lose of licence and fines.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red light cams are easy money for a city. I got flashed and called the city the same day complaining about the timing sequence. Obviously deaf ears. Told them who I was and what I was driving and my license plate number and that I going back to the location with a stopwatch a check the camera timing. Never received a ticket in the mail and never heard from them again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    You guys are lucky. here in Ontario they came up with the " Racing Law" which covers just about everything.
    You get caught going 50kpm (30mph) over the limit, you get
    Your car or bike impounded for a week at your cost (yards charge what they want per day)
    You lose your licence for a week.
    Then you get to see the judge and see how long you lose your licence plus a fine.
    Rumor has it that it is going to be increased to a month impound and 30 day lose of licence and fines.
    Remind me not to drive in Ontario....
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default Impossible

Tell them no way, that you didn't even see a radar camera anywhere in the area.