Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I had the same thing happen to me a year ago went to Middletown Honda in Middletown ohio. to get a couple of parts for my goldwing. Was talking to service I asked some him about something on my 09 wing he said they don't work on old junk I told him (in so many words) that my wing was in better shape them the ones they had on the floor and did not buy the parts from them .drove 40 miles one way to get 15.00 dollars in parts not only will I never step foot in that store again at the time I was looking for my spyder which they were trying to find for me they lost the sell of a new spyder which I got some where else

Spyder Garage

There's so few dealers, so much work. They feel they can do as they damn well please.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

So with all of the above being said.....
    Anyone here actually have used and can recommend a Spyder dealer in the NE Florida area..ish?
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I would post on yelp and google to let others know what kind of support they will receive from the dealer. I would also make a copy of this thread / google / yelp and email / fax them to the dealer. Did you try talking to the owner?
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    There's so few dealers, so much work. They feel they can do as they damn well please.
    I have seen businesses eventually fail because of that. Things start to get tight and you need business, but you have alienated one to many customers.
    As mentioned I do business and also help out a small independent shop when they are covered up. We try our best to take in work on a case to case basis instead of using a blanket NO OLD BIKES rule because we do get a lot of older bikes that are well maintained and easy to work on. One of us will take the time to really look the bike over and have a conversation with the owner. We mention the possible issues that MAY arise and also mention problems we may have had in the past with that particular model. That doesn't always eliminate surprises, but it sure does cut back on them and we then have a better relationship and understanding with the owner. We try our best not to tick anyone off because business is pretty much word of mouth here. A personal touch goes a long way and that's something that is missing with most dealerships these days. We get a few that leave angry because we won't work on whatever they brought in, but we get more that understand what, why, or why not because we take some time to explain. In my opinion not taking time to explain to a customer because you are busy is a bunch of crap. You may walk away disappointed, but that's better for both of us than walking away angry. We see disappointed folks that eventually come back, but the angry ones rarely do. I guess I'm kind of old school on business, but I still say you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have seen businesses eventually fail because of that. Things start to get tight and you need business, but you have alienated one to many customers.
    As mentioned I do business and also help out a small independent shop when they are covered up. We try our best to take in work on a case to case basis instead of using a blanket NO OLD BIKES rule because we do get a lot of older bikes that are well maintained and easy to work on. One of us will take the time to really look the bike over and have a conversation with the owner. We mention the possible issues that MAY arise and also mention problems we may have had in the past with that particular model. That doesn't always eliminate surprises, but it sure does cut back on them and we then have a better relationship and understanding with the owner. We try our best not to tick anyone off because business is pretty much word of mouth here. A personal touch goes a long way and that's something that is missing with most dealerships these days. We get a few that leave angry because we won't work on whatever they brought in, but we get more that understand what, why, or why not because we take some time to explain. In my opinion not taking time to explain to a customer because you are busy is a bunch of crap. You may walk away disappointed, but that's better for both of us than walking away angry. We see disappointed folks that eventually come back, but the angry ones rarely do. I guess I'm kind of old school on business, but I still say you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Customer service 101. I hope the Mother Ship gets it before the hammer falls.

For me, it has been a 13 year run, with seven spyders. I personally have spent over $150K with these people.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-09-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    As mentioned I do business and also help out a small independent shop when they are covered up. We try our best to take in work on a case to case basis instead of using a blanket NO OLD BIKES rule because we do get a lot of older bikes that are well maintained and easy to work on.
    I guess I'm kind of old school on business, but I still say you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The only “years” policy I have ever run into had nothing to do with Spyder or any motorcycles. It was at RV parks that would not allow you to stay with an RV over ten years old. I think the rationale was to stop vagrants from making a one night reservation and then refusing to leave. In my 40 years of motorcycling I have never run into any age restriction.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    The only “years” policy I have ever run into had nothing to do with Spyder or any motorcycles. It was at RV parks that would not allow you to stay with an RV over ten years old. I think the rationale was to stop vagrants from making a one night reservation and then refusing to leave. In my 40 years of motorcycling I have never run into any age restriction.
    I agree, in over 60 years of motorcycle riding I have never been refused any repair/service because of the age of the bike, however it has only been 10 years ago or so that our units have been “computer controlled”.

Is there a relationship? Methinks ..... probably...l

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Screenshot (1).jpg

47 Dealerships, 11 states, 6 in NE Florida.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

It appears to me most of the motorcycle riders don’t keep their bikes very long. The five to ten year policy has been with the majority of dealers of all brands for many years. I worked for a multi brand dealer over 20 years ago that was there policy. We would do tires an$ oil changes. Trikes we’re a no work on policy also. The majority of bike we sold never came back after the first oil change unless they were wrecked. The high turn over rate in mechanics does help also in not have people no tne product. All of the bikes I have had except one have never been back to the dealer. If I was not a aircraft mechanic and have the tools to keep my old BMW,s running I would be trading every 3 to 5 years but there has not been a new bike I would get. Bought a Ural cause it is a lot like my BMW,s and have always wanted a sidecar rig. The 2010 RT was bought for the wife. Buying the Buds software was a big help in getting this bike back on 5he road after setting for almost 2 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer2021 View Post
    This from brp..
    Good day Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP and letting us know about your feedback.

Please note that every dealership is independent and are allowed to refuse to work on a unit that is out of warranty or B.E.S.T coverage. I understand it could be frustrating and I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will make sure to forward your complaint to the appropriate department.

So now we at least know BRP stance on the matter.

This official stance from BRP should be troubling to all owners who rely upon dealers for service and repair of their bikes. I can not imagine ANY other vehicle brand suggesting that service/repairs may not be preformed after the warranty expires. We all know BRP has a monopoly on servicing it's products. There are few, if any, independent shops that will even look at a Spyder/Ryker. To tell us that ownership and servicing partnership lasts only for the duration of the warranty, again, should be troubling for all owners..... JMHO Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

This from brp..
    Good day Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP and letting us know about your feedback.

Please note that every dealership is independent and are allowed to refuse to work on a unit that is out of warranty or B.E.S.T coverage. I understand it could be frustrating and I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will make sure to forward your complaint to the appropriate department.

So now we at least know BRP stance on the matter.
    Yes, I received a very similarly worded response from BRP regarding a visit to my local dealership - and my unit is still under the BEST warranty til April next year. "We have no control, etc........"
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you were shopping for a new ride and a BRP dealer told you that after 10 years your Spyder would not be accepted into their service department for service or repairs, would you think twice about purchasing a Spyder? Would an extra 2year aftermarket warranty be valid?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2021 at 02:18 AM. Reason: excepted - accepted ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just a side note about ridenow powersports. They came into florida a couple of years ago and gobbled up about 50 dealerships. They are up to over 80 now and continue to gobble up more and continue on in other states too. They are going after Indian next. My closest dealer is in daytona beach which they own. The only other dealer not owned by them would be in jacksonville 70 miles away which you went to. It is these giant companies that have a monopoly on BRP products that give us the consumers frustrating times. I wish I was 20 years younger to find a legal team that would go after BRP and these big corporations. BRP should not allow these dealerships to operate this way!

Spyder Garage

Apologies if this is not the right place or even not allowed but I felt the need to share this as it is most disturbing.
    This morning I visited my local dealer which is Ridenow Powersports, Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, Fl with my 2014 Spyder RT.
    I wanted them to change the rear tire and take a look at the slight play at the handlebar.
    No problem the young lady said, we work on Spyders up to 10 years old so its all good.
    The service advisors were in the process of booking it in and I was most impressed as they said if I got the tire from them, fitting was free so only about $175 out the door, most excellent.
    Then.....
    A service supervisor came along and said they would not work on my bike as it is over 5 years old.
    This was a complete shock to EVERYONE else in the service department apparently who all said, "since when"
    Since forever she replied, which caused them all to look at each other and shake their heads and then apologise to myself for this as they really did not know what to say.

So just a FYI, Rideout of Jacksonville, Fl WILL NOT work on Spyders over 5 years old even though they are actually selling three examples 2015 and older!!

My next port of call was Jacksonville Powersports on Atlantic Blvd, who were more than happy to assist with a 10 year old policy and was also shocked to hear about Ridenow as to his knowledge they had always been the same 10 year old policy too, and they had exactly the same free fitting on rear tire if purchased from them as well.

Very disturbing imho.
    Regretfully, we purchased our Spyder from RideNow Ocala in early 2014. Truthfully it was one of the worst buying experiences ever.
    While traveling, there may have been two times we went in to RideNow Ocala to see if they had any clearance gloves or similar stuff. Each time, even while checking out new machines, the sales team had no interest in dealing with any customers. Very odd place.

These days, when someone mentions RideNow, regardless of location, I expect they are a dissatisfied owner / customer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If you were shopping for a new ride and a BRP dealer told you that after 10 years your Spyder would not be accepted into their service department for service or repairs, would you think twice about purchasing a Spyder? Would an extra 2year aftermarket warranty be valid?
    If you were looking to purchase an over 5 year old Spyder from these people at Ridenow would you expect them to tell you that btw after you have bought it we will not work on it at all ever?
    Im sure this is NOT part of their sales pitch........
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by moparmarty View Post
    Just a side note about ridenow powersports. They came into florida a couple of years ago and gobbled up about 50 dealerships. They are up to over 80 now and continue to gobble up more and continue on in other states too. They are going after Indian next. My closest dealer is in daytona beach which they own. The only other dealer not owned by them would be in jacksonville 70 miles away which you went to. It is these giant companies that have a monopoly on BRP products that give us the consumers frustrating times. I wish I was 20 years younger to find a legal team that would go after BRP and these big corporations. BRP should not allow these dealerships to operate this way!

Bicycle industry does this too. Ironically, what usually happens, these companies buy up many shops, the market goes away, and they wind up closing up shop. The manufacturers often plead with the smaller shops that were not bought up, in hopes to sell product.
    A good friend was a longtime Cannondale dealer. Cannondale tried to force him to buy inventory and accessories. Cannondale also placed a new dealer from a large chain within 1 mile of him. He tried to work it out with Cannondale, even explaining how they violated his territory agreement. Ultimately he told Cannondale no and surrendered the brand.

One year later, the other shop, actually the entire chain that bought these shops out (my friend would not sell envisioning this), closed all the stores. This left Cannondale essentially with no dealers within a larger metropolitan area. They approached my friend about becoming a dealer again, he told them no as he picked up another major brand. Now years later, Cannondale still does not have the presence here they once did.

As for this other brand he picked up, they too have done a similar thing. Prior to Covid, my friends shop was booming. Buyers would visit this new shop with a large expensive inventory. That shop is difficult to deal with. Buyers do a quick search for another dealer and find my friends shop 3/4 mile away. They come to him, know what they want, he is a real long time bicycle shop with knowledge and experience, so they buy from him. He orders a bike and gets it a few days later.

Now with Covid messing with supply chains, new stuff is more difficult to get. So my friend is enjoying a huge upswing in repair revenue. That other shop sits on its high end inventory, but the customers get all service work done at my buddies shop. He is simply riding it out, knowing that these shops with $500,000 in new bike inventory, and manufacturers expecting them to order more, will sink the boat.

Spyder Garage

If you were looking to purchase an over 5 year old Spyder from these people at Ridenow would you expect them to tell you that btw after you have bought it we will not work on it at all ever?
    Im sure this is NOT part of their sales pitch........

There is certainly enough RideNow topics and posts, from owners all around the USA to demonstrate folks should hopefully read up on them.

FWIW, when we dealt with them, they requested that we complete a customer survey. We completed the survey and got a phone call assuring us that others would call for additional details and management would also call.
    Not one person called back. To me, that shared the attitude these folks have towards customers.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately Ridenow were my nearest listed Spyder dealer and I made the mistake of going there, not to be repeated ever I assure you.
    I do remember when this dealership used to be a Triumph dealer.
    The next dealer in distance was Jacksonville Powersports whose attitude was different again, yes they had the 10 year old rule which still sucks for those with 2011 or older bikes but their attitude was extremely pleasant and their pricing no better or worse than anywhere else.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    good food for thought.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dam, my local dealership was just bought out by I don't know who. Guess I'd better go check them out. Their head mechanic was a BRP certified spyder mechanic. Boy, I hope they didn't run him off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    In my opinion, since BRP refuses to offer outside of dealers, access to BUDS and BUDS2, BRP is jeopardizing the safety of each person riding on a Can Am vehicle when a BRP dealer refuses to accomplish maintenance work on a vehicle.

If BRP stands by the dealers, and allows them to turn away vehicles, then they may be legally liable for not allowing non dealers access to the items BRP deems as proprietary.

The time has come and gone for BRP to sort out the dealers in regards to keeping Spyder owners safe in regards to what dealers are not doing or doing poorly / incorrectly.

In simple terms, without having BUDS or BUDS2, and it does not matter that sources supply non BRP approved copies, BRP and the dealers are liable for maintaining your vehicle in a safe manner, unless you as the owner refuse that. A good law team would likely straighten out a dealer first just to get BRPs attention.
    There is no problem with an independent shop purchasing a license for BUDS and BUDS2. We have them. They are just not cheap.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is no problem with an independent shop purchasing a license for BUDS and BUDS2. We have them. They are just not cheap.
    Agree, I have both BUDS and BUDS2 myself.
    However, I was under the impression that a manufacturer can not hold back proprietary diagnostics and then deem they no longer service the vehicles at dealers.
    Granted, we both have what we need, how these vendors obtain and sell what we got remains a good question.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm happy with my 2 Spyders, but not with Can-Am. My local dealer dropped Spyders because as a low volume rural dealer he was losing money on sales and service of them. I've read enough over the years on this forum to realize that Can-Am does not value existing customers unless those customers show an interest in constantly trading up.

Theirs is a purely marketing and sales orientation. I won't be buying any more new Spyders. And, I hesitate recommending them to folks who can't do their own repairs and maintenance. Fortunately I am interested in learning all I can about maintaining my own motorcycles, so I'm not as dependent on dealers' service as I might otherwise be.

The way Can-Am is approaching this after-sale issue leads me to believe that Spyders will be eclipsed by front wheel trikes from Yamaha and Honda, if they ever see a large enough market for them. Either way, Spyders will become orphaned cult bikes within my lifetime, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum