Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm happy with my 2 Spyders, but not with Can-Am. My local dealer dropped Spyders because as a low volume rural dealer he was losing money on sales and service of them. I've read enough over the years on this forum to realize that Can-Am does not value existing customers unless those customers show an interest in constantly trading up.

Theirs is a purely marketing and sales orientation. I won't be buying any more new Spyders. And, I hesitate recommending them to folks who can't do their own repairs and maintenance. Fortunately I am interested in learning all I can about maintaining my own motorcycles, so I'm not as dependent on dealers' service as I might otherwise be.

The way Can-Am is approaching this after-sale issue leads me to believe that Spyders will be eclipsed by front wheel trikes from Yamaha and Honda, if they ever see a large enough market for them. Either way, Spyders will become orphaned cult bikes within my lifetime, I think.
    If Honda was to come out with a front wheel trike I would dump this can-am without blinking. With as much fun and joy that this brings me , I think a Honda would be more well thought out and put together a whole lot better. Unfortunately you would still be dealing with a lot of the same unscrupulous dealerships.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm happy with my 2 Spyders, but not with Can-Am. My local dealer dropped Spyders because as a low volume rural dealer he was losing money on sales and service of them. I've read enough over the years on this forum to realize that Can-Am does not value existing customers unless those customers show an interest in constantly trading up.

Theirs is a purely marketing and sales orientation. I won't be buying any more new Spyders. And, I hesitate recommending them to folks who can't do their own repairs and maintenance. Fortunately I am interested in learning all I can about maintaining my own motorcycles, so I'm not as dependent on dealers' service as I might otherwise be.

The way Can-Am is approaching this after-sale issue leads me to believe that Spyders will be eclipsed by front wheel trikes from Yamaha and Honda, if they ever see a large enough market for them. Either way, Spyders will become orphaned cult bikes within my lifetime, I think.
    Also good food for thought.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer2021 View Post
    So is this 10 year old policy not normal in other states then?
    I was a little surprised to hear it myself
    I still have my 2008 GS and my dealership is more then happy to take my money for maint. and repairs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I still have my 2008 GS and my dealership is more then happy to take my money for maint. and repairs.
    Hang on to that dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-12-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Agree, I have both BUDS and BUDS2 myself.
    However, I was under the impression that a manufacturer can not hold back proprietary diagnostics and then deem they no longer service the vehicles at dealers.
    Granted, we both have what we need, how these vendors obtain and sell what we got remains a good question.
    That's an easy one. BUDS does not belong to BRP. Its written by a third party vendor and SOLD to BRP dealers and BRP itself.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

@Longtimer... I've been a member of the GWRRA for many years. Just traded my 2015 Goldwing for the 2021 Spyder RT Limited a few months back (got nearly 10K on the Spyder already!). Still loving the Spyder, but miss the Wing a lot. I just wanted to recommend you talk to Ed and the team at Honda of Fairfield. Those guys took care of my 2015 Wing for more than 85K miles! And they still service my 2000 Honda Valkryie Interstate! Best of luck!!!
    -Biker Tank-
    Places visited on 2 or 3 wheels in the last 10 years...
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic / Chrome

Spyder Garage

I live in Green Cove Springs and always take my Spyder to Gainesville Ride Now. I’ve NEVER used the Jax store based on how I was handled trying to buy this last Spyder. This is my 4th new one in 5 years. I didn’t buy it from Gainesville because all of the Ride Nows at least locally are insane when it comes to new Spyders. I went to Lakeland and had the best experience ever. On a completely different topic I bought a pedal commander and it is hands down changed my riding experience. Feel dumb for waiting so long. Game changer.

Spyder Garage

Apologies if this is not the right place or even not allowed but I felt the need to share this as it is most disturbing.
    This morning I visited my local dealer which is Ridenow Powersports, Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, Fl with my 2014 Spyder RT.
    I wanted them to change the rear tire and take a look at the slight play at the handlebar.
    No problem the young lady said, we work on Spyders up to 10 years old so its all good.
    The service advisors were in the process of booking it in and I was most impressed as they said if I got the tire from them, fitting was free so only about $175 out the door, most excellent.
    Then.....
    A service supervisor came along and said they would not work on my bike as it is over 5 years old.
    This was a complete shock to EVERYONE else in the service department apparently who all said, "since when"
    Since forever she replied, which caused them all to look at each other and shake their heads and then apologise to myself for this as they really did not know what to say.

So just a FYI, Rideout of Jacksonville, Fl WILL NOT work on Spyders over 5 years old even though they are actually selling three examples 2015 and older!!

My next port of call was Jacksonville Powersports on Atlantic Blvd, who were more than happy to assist with a 10 year old policy and was also shocked to hear about Ridenow as to his knowledge they had always been the same 10 year old policy too, and they had exactly the same free fitting on rear tire if purchased from them as well.

Very disturbing imho.
    I had an issue with this same dealer during the purchase of my RTL. After weeks of frustration with the delivery by this local store I called their corporate office in Arizona and was able to speak with the Executive Assistant to the President of the company. Early the next morning I received a call from my local dealer wanting to get the issue resolved. Although the local stores are not owned by the corporation I think headquarters has a lot of influence. I would pass the number to you if I still had it but I can't find it.
    Good luck, although it sounds like you have got your issue fixed.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just spoke with my local dealer here in British Columbia, Canada and he tells me that there IS NO DIRECTIVE FROM BRP regarding the servicing/repairs based on the age of the Spyder...it may be based on the availability for certain parts for certain models, but not on age. My particular unit is a ‘14 RTS and is running the 1330 engine (the same engine as the ‘21+) and the bulk of ALL PARTS are still readily available. To my way of thinking any dealer refusing service to a 5 or 10 year old Spyder is attempting to coerce you to purchase a “new one” from them, thus boosting THEIR revenue. just my 2 cents worth.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update.
    I finally found the time in my schedule to take my Spyder into Jacksonville Powersports to have a new rear tire fitted.
    While there they showed me once the wheel was off that the rear pads were heavily worn and ASKED if I wanted them replacing at the same time.
    Which of course I did.
    They also took the time to show and explain to my dumb self how to adjust the rear shock, apparently mine is the manual model with the valve under the seat, no onboard compressor.
    Guess I need to buy an owners manual...lol
    Overall they were the complete opposite of the experience I suffered at Ridenow.
    I only rang them Tuesday afternoon, had it scheduled in for 1.30pm Wednesday and was out the door by 2.45pm same day.
    Now to be fair they do have 10 year policy but they did also say it is at their discretion and I guess that might mean regular customers whose bikes they know might be shown a little more leniency.
    All in all my Spyder dealer for now.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    I live in Green Cove Springs and always take my Spyder to Gainesville Ride Now. .....< snip >.....
    Out of curiosity do Gainsville Ridenow have the same 10 year Spyder policy?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2021 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update.
    I finally found the time in my schedule to take my Spyder into Jacksonville Powersports to have a new rear tire fitted.
    While there they showed me once the wheel was off that the rear pads were heavily worn and ASKED if I wanted them replacing at the same time.
    Which of course I did.
    They also took the time to show and explain to my dumb self how to adjust the rear shock, apparently mine is the manual model with the valve under the seat, no onboard compressor.
    Guess I need to buy an owners manual...lol
    Overall they were the complete opposite of the experience I suffered at Ridenow.
    I only rang them Tuesday afternoon, had it scheduled in for 1.30pm Wednesday and was out the door by 2.45pm same day.
    Now to be fair they do have 10 year policy but they did also say it is at their discretion and I guess that might mean regular customers whose bikes they know might be shown a little more leniency.
    All in all my Spyder dealer for now.
    I would say, put them on speed dial and don't loose it!! You sound like you have a keeper there!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    If Honda was to come out with a front wheel trike I would dump this can-am without blinking. With as much fun and joy that this brings me , I think a Honda would be more well thought out and put together a whole lot better. Unfortunately you would still be dealing with a lot of the same unscrupulous dealerships.
    Well Yamaha does have this Frank-N-Stein creation.......

Yamaha-Niken-2.jpg
    2014 Spyder RT , Black