Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Had a bad morning at my local Can Am dealer in NE Florida, just a FYI.

Apologies if this is not the right place or even not allowed but I felt the need to share this as it is most disturbing.
    This morning I visited my local dealer which is Ridenow Powersports, Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, Fl with my 2014 Spyder RT.
    I wanted them to change the rear tire and take a look at the slight play at the handlebar.
    No problem the young lady said, we work on Spyders up to 10 years old so its all good.
    The service advisors were in the process of booking it in and I was most impressed as they said if I got the tire from them, fitting was free so only about $175 out the door, most excellent.
    Then.....
    A service supervisor came along and said they would not work on my bike as it is over 5 years old.
    This was a complete shock to EVERYONE else in the service department apparently who all said, "since when"
    Since forever she replied, which caused them all to look at each other and shake their heads and then apologise to myself for this as they really did not know what to say.

So just a FYI, Rideout of Jacksonville, Fl WILL NOT work on Spyders over 5 years old even though they are actually selling three examples 2015 and older!!

My next port of call was Jacksonville Powersports on Atlantic Blvd, who were more than happy to assist with a 10 year old policy and was also shocked to hear about Ridenow as to his knowledge they had always been the same 10 year old policy too, and they had exactly the same free fitting on rear tire if purchased from them as well.

Very disturbing imho.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's this 10 year old policy? Never heard of it before. If this type of thinking migrates over to the medical industry we're all in trouble.

Spyder Garage

Beats me but at least in my area of NE Florida it seems to be the norm at the main Can Am dealers.
    Either 10 years or 5 is disgraceful and not a way to earn any business.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

This is exactly what should be posted on this forum IMHO. ANY shop that won't work on a product that is a certain year(s) old should be exposed. We need a place to vet BAD shops! I would call Can Am.

sn
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    What's this 10 year old policy? Never heard of it before. If this type of thinking migrates over to the medical industry we're all in trouble.
    X's 20 ..... this is Total B.S. ..... Drop an E-mail to BRP .... I'll bet they won't any happier than you .... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

So is this 10 year old policy not normal in other states then?
    I was a little surprised to hear it myself
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately have heard similar at various insurance & DMV even though offer antique plates for 25y & older collector types just more of disposable mentality, don’t fix get new (keeps the $timulus going) all ready see implementations; if ignition or something horrible happened to key with no spare can use vin# at dealer for replacement , up to 10y. Couple other things too
    “Ain’t broke don’t fix it.” About to be “Ain’t broke, so what,Replace it“

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    X's 20 ..... this is Total B.S. ..... Drop an E-mail to BRP .... I'll bet they won't any happier than you .... jmho .... Mike
    I just sent BRP an email with the pertinent information, be interesting to see what they have to say....
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting about the 10 year policy. News to me and many others.

Sounds like they need to be reported to BRP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The big question here is will they actually do anything about it?

From what I have witnessed so far the dealerships are able to get away with anything they want to do without fear of reprisal from can-am.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

You will get better results with your A.G. and the BBB...

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...5!OpenDocument

I had to go down this road back in 2019 with a brand new Gravely ZTR that would only start on occasion...The buck kept getting passed between the Dealer...Gravely...Kawasaki Engines, till they got contacted by the BBB and the Wisconsin Consumer Protection Agency....Then it finally got fix after 16 trips to the dealers service dept within 6 months...BTW...Gravely pulled the guys dealer franchise the following year...
    54 Snowmobiles...7 Dirtbikes...4 Atv's...8 Streetbikes...1 Tricycle...Since 1969...

Spyder Garage

And I may well pursue but at least for now maybe anybody else who is NE Florida and peruses these threads might see this and think twice about taking their business to them.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree. Very disturbing. For many reasons. The rear tire replacement process has literally not changed enough to make any difference since the first Spyders were produced. It simply means that their 'Tech's' don't know enough about the product to know this. Certainly, there have been no changes since 2013, which is 8 years ago.

I think they just didn't want to do the work. And rather than tell you that, they just made up a story. That's why all the employees were surprised.

They are telling you, not so subtly, to go somewhere else. Which you did. But it is a shame that they would treat you this way.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I did not want to be cynical myself but you could be right.
    I would certainly hope it's not a case of because I did not buy it from them.
    Right now they are selling a 2011,2013 and2015.
    All of which fall foul of their proclaimed 5 year rule.
    So if they sell them are they then going to tell the buyer, oh BTW we won't be able to work on this after you bought it because it's over 5 years old.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

This from brp..
    Good day Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP and letting us know about your feedback.

Please note that every dealership is independent and are allowed to refuse to work on a unit that is out of warranty or B.E.S.T coverage. I understand it could be frustrating and I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will make sure to forward your complaint to the appropriate department.

So now we at least know BRP stance on the matter.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer2021 View Post
    This from brp..Good day Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP and letting us know about your feedback.

Please note that every dealership is independent and are allowed to refuse to work on a unit that is out of warranty or B.E.S.T coverage. I understand it could be frustrating and I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will make sure to forward your complaint to the appropriate department.

Typical buck passing non-answer from BRP. If I were the store owner and had employees treating customers like this without my knowledge, they would no longer work for me. However, if the employees were following my directives then potential customers should be made aware of my lack of product support. Not much you can do other than take your business elsewhere and let others know so they can avoid an arrogant dealership. Sad..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

"Not much you can do other than take your business elsewhere and let others know so they can avoid an arrogant dealership. Sad..... Jim"

Exactly Jim
    Which was really the main point of this thread, to make others aware and to pass these guys by.
    The service supervisor did also say that this 5 year directive came direct from the service manager who strangely enough was " unavailable" to talk to me at the store......

Even though some here may baulk at the 10 year rule , at least Jacksonville Powersports were extremely polite and pleasant and very helpful so a big shout at to those guys and even though it is a 40 mile further round trip, they get my business from now on.
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

5 year rule is BS. For some reason she didn't want to work on the bike. Maybe double booked or something.
    The ten year rule at motorcycle dealerships is actually pretty common and here is why. You bring me your eleven year old HDYAMAHONDSUZUKAWASAKI and want some work performed. During the process I find several things the bike needs, several are safety concerns. Your rubber brake lines are cracked, your carb mounts are dry rotted, you have NEVER changed brake fluid and now have a sticky, crusty, rusty mess in the master cylinder. This and much more just happens to occur naturally as bikes age. I call and tell you the things I have found that probably should be corrected. You have a fit and start screaming thievery and talking bad about my mother. Things spiral downhill very quickly. Also parts and many gaskets are hard or sometimes to impossible to find. Have you searched for a new rear drive for a 1200 Goldwing lately? I have. It took six months to find a good used one because NOBODY ever greased the splines on their 1200 Goldwing and they are worn out. Your mad because you think I'm robbing you or lying to you about waiting so long for parts. Best thing for me to do is turn away bikes ten years or older. We do work on older bikes at the independent shop, BUT you are asked before hand if you want it fixed or a phone call if/when we find an issue. Also there are certain bikes we just flat won't mess with anymore. It may be low mileage and pristine in your eyes, but time does take its toll on bikes.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer2021 View Post
    I just sent BRP an email with the pertinent information, be interesting to see what they have to say....
    Be sure to keep the forum advised. This is a pretty interesting situation. I heard of RV parks not allowing campers over a certain age, but never repair shops. Unless they can't get the replacement parts, then that would be a difference story I suppose. If the manufacturer stops making the parts the repair shop can't be expected to get them. Doesn't sound like the case here though.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Did you report your complaint to BRPCare@BRP.com. If you did, man, that's the s**ts. If you reported it to some other BRP activity I suggest you report it to BRPCare including all the information you've related here including the gaff off reply from BRP and ask someone to call you about the problem because it is a BS answer from some BRP drone.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yep, 10 year policy is pretty common, but I find that some dealers will look the other way during the slow season just to keep the mechanics busy.
    2007 V Star Classic - sold
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - sold
    2020 Indian 100th Anniversary Scout
    2021 Spyder RT LTD

Spyder Garage

10 years I can sort of see with this worlds now built in obsolescence but 5 years??
    That’s just plain wrong and I really had to work hard to keep my cool and just walk out of the shop…..
    2014 Spyder RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Looks like another "shoot your self in the foot" situation for BRP.

If I cannot get service, I go somewhere else and or buy something else. There are lots of fish in the sea.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, since BRP refuses to offer outside of dealers, access to BUDS and BUDS2, BRP is jeopardizing the safety of each person riding on a Can Am vehicle when a BRP dealer refuses to accomplish maintenance work on a vehicle.

If BRP stands by the dealers, and allows them to turn away vehicles, then they may be legally liable for not allowing non dealers access to the items BRP deems as proprietary.

The time has come and gone for BRP to sort out the dealers in regards to keeping Spyder owners safe in regards to what dealers are not doing or doing poorly / incorrectly.

In simple terms, without having BUDS or BUDS2, and it does not matter that sources supply non BRP approved copies, BRP and the dealers are liable for maintaining your vehicle in a safe manner, unless you as the owner refuse that. A good law team would likely straighten out a dealer first just to get BRPs attention.

Spyder Garage

I have owned 3 Spyders in a row! I just sold my 2018 F-3 Limited because of such crap as this, and went back to riding a Honda! BRP better wake up and get a dealer network that cares about customers, or get out of the business!