Spyder Garage

Default Buy a 2016 F3 Limited Special Series or a 2020 F3 - any thoughts?

I apologize if this is not the right place for this type of post. I'm new to the forum and preparing to purchase my first Spyder. I found 2 that I plan to look at tomorrow. A 2016 F3 Limited Special Series with 3700 miles (dealer) and a 2020 F3 with 2700 miles (private seller). The 2020 F3 has a windshield and saddle bags added. Both are black and look good on the pictures. Asking price for both is around $16k. Any thoughts on which is a better bike? I'm thinking the 2020 based on it being 4 years younger but would love to hear from the forum members.
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Both are great bikes. Only difference is the 2016 is a Limited and the 2020 is not. They both should have windshields. The 2016 has the analog display and the 2020 has the newer electronic display. I'm old school and wouldn't know how to use or connect the new display to phone etc. I have a 2017 F 3 Limited with the analog display. I think the 2016 should have saddlebags. Is the 2020 OEM saddlebags or after market? I just don't like the looks of the after market saddlebags. Either one should give you many miles of smiles.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Both are great bikes. Only difference is the 2016 is a Limited and the 2020 is not. They both should have windshields. The 2016 has the analog display and the 2020 has the newer electronic display. I'm old school and wouldn't know how to use or connect the new display to phone etc. I have a 2017 F 3 Limited with the analog display. I think the 2016 should have saddlebags. Is the 2020 OEM saddlebags or after market? I just don't like the looks of the after market saddlebags. Either one should give you many miles of smiles.
    Thanks for the insight. The 2016 has the windshield and saddlebags standard, and the 2020 has the Blue Ridge windshield and Shad hard saddlebag add-ons. The integrated saddlebags on the 2016 definitely look better than the Shad hard saddlebags.
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I would most certainly go with the 16 F3-L. Better overall bike in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

My opinion, The 2020 f3, with the shadbags,is the best choice depending on how you are going too use the machine, If you plan long trips, then the limited, the shad bags are removable, for less weight, when going on a day trip.
    I have an f3s, with shad bags, for weekendtrips, but mostly I take em of the bike, it just looks better, both are great machines, it's just what suits you better.
    Mine is a 2019 model, with the old style dashboard, I saw the new ones, and this is really just a guess, they are not as clear, as the plain oldstyle dash, I think that there could be a nuissance like glare.

Just my two cents, and as Peter Aawen stated, Ryde More, Worry less,
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. After test driving both, I'm now the extremely happy owner of the 2016 F3 Limited Special Series!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 , Triple Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Good choice. Both fine machines. My 16 has many features that the later models had eliminated. Older models many have better performance than newer.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey