Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Ltd with Occasional clunking sound from the rear - any ideas?

2020 Spyder RT Limited. I hear a clunking sound coming from the back of bike occasionally. Anyone have any thoughts of what it could be? It has 9,200 miles on it. Usually happens when hitting rough roads, but not always.

Spyder Garage

This could be a number of things. Can you reproduce the clunk while bouncing up and down on the rear of the Spyder? If so, it would make it much easier to locate the source.

It could be worn shock mounting grommets or bad shock internals. A clunk won't be something light like loose Tupperware, etc. It's going to be something more substantial.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Have the same Spyder as you and can duplicate the clunk every day. I think it's the rear shock topping out. There's a man hole cover on the entrance to my neighborhood. If I go get the rear tire to go over it, I'll get the clunk. I don't see anything wrong with the shock or mount though.

I'm pretty sure a BajaRon sway bar will fix the issue ;-)
    j/k

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BDV300 View Post
    Have the same Spyder as you and can duplicate the clunk every day. I think it's the rear shock topping out. There's a man hole cover on the entrance to my neighborhood. If I go get the rear tire to go over it, I'll get the clunk. I don't see anything wrong with the shock or mount though.

j/k
    I very much appreciate the recommendation of my product. The sway bar upgrade will cure a number of ills. But it will not do much for a rear shock topping or bottoming out. If this is the OP's problem, the shock itself will need to be addressed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJERRY1 View Post
    2020 Spyder RT Limited. I hear a clunking sound coming from the back of bike occasionally. Anyone have any thoughts of what it could be? It has 9,200 miles on it. Usually happens when hitting rough roads, but not always.
    You and BDV300 might want to check the air pressure in your rear air suspension, and make sure it’s working. There shouldn’t be any topping or bottoming out.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, thanks for the advice. I'll try bouncing it up and down. I'm 77 yrs old and have trouble getting down to check the shock. Seems like shock shouldn't be worn with only 9200 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BDV300 View Post

j/k
    Thanks for your reply. I already have the BajaRon bar on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    You and BDV300 might want to check the air pressure in your rear air suspension, and make sure it’s working. There shouldn’t be any topping or bottoming out.
    Thanks, I'll check that out

Spyder Garage

My 2016 did the same thing, so being unfamiliar with it, I did a little research and I believe it was on this form. Found out that I should check the pressure in the airbag which I did and it was flat as a pancake. Bumped it up to 20 pounds and everything was just fine.

Spyder Garage

You might want to check the linkage for the valve that controls the air supply to the bag. A lot of the 2020's & newer a bolt was left out and the air bag did not work at all. The 2020+ RT Limited's are automatic adjusting.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It's your rear case bouncing. I had the same issue and I can duplicate it by going back jostling the rear case. I did manage the tighten it a little bit and have minimized it but I still hear it occasionally.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes! I KNOW THE ANSWER! My 2021 had the same issue. It drove me nuts! I searched everything in the rear trying to find the noise. It turned out to be the rear airbag was overinflating. The rear suspension height was not set correctly at the factory. Took it to my friend who has BUDS2 and we reset the rear suspension using specifically sized wood blocks under the frame. It now rides like a dream with no more clunking!!!! The clunk is the rear shock over-extending. Eventually something will fail if you dont get it fixed.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

what pressure is in your rear shocks
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

While I agree with checking the link to verify it is connected, something else possible and seldom heard is a missing part.
    Apparently, when Can Am places the Spyder into the shipping crate, the rear suspension is disconnected at the lower shock bolt. The lower shock bolt setup utilizes a long sleeve with the bolt running inside of it. If this sleeve is accidentally forgotten to be installed, there is no means to tighten the rear shock bolt AND the mismatched diameters of the bolts diameter inside the plastic shock eye bushing creates a large clearance and vertical looseness.