Spyder Garage

Default Fuel drips on left side. Why?

Gas tank question. I've only had the 09 GS a few weeks, but the fuel tank/gauge collaboration has me scratching my head. Here's the situation: My light goes on, I put gas in, usually about 3.75-4 gallons. Yet, even after driving a few miles, when I ppark, I have fuel dripping on the the left side by the chain guard. I though the tank was a little over 6 gallons...why am I seeing fuel drips? More importantly, what can I do to fix it?

Spyder Garage

#1 the fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable and often show empty when there is plenty of fuel left as your filling experience shows.
    #2 Why do you have a gas leak? cracked fuel hose fuel, expanding in the heat and overflowing, fuel slop on filling,tank crack. You will have to give us more information on this one and do some more checking on your own.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

That is a good one. The fuel lines, both vent hose and pressure feed are on the right side. The fill is on the left side. Have you checked to see if this is where your fuel leak is coming from? It may be your gas cap O-Ring is bad or missing. I'd check that first. Easy to do and will at least eliminate that possibility. Cheap and easy to fix too.

Here's hoping this solves your problem.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That happened to me too. There was a gas cap recall years ago to fix the problem. Check your gas cap to see if it's a robust one that clicks loudly, and on the white underside part it should have S.A.E. P.O.M. E-14 between the white ribs. If you look at your gas cap and don't understand what I'm talking about, you need to get it replaced with the new one. If you do have that type gas cap, BahaRon has your answer.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back when I had my 08 GS (for some reason I don't remember) many of us ran a vent line from the gas tank vent fitting and routed it to exit in front of the rear tire...I think it was a 1/4" line and it may have had something to do with flooding the charcoal filter??? If I remember correctly, when I'd fill up my gas tank to the max amount I could put in it and ride home sometimes I'd see some small drops of fuel on the garage floor...

Hopefully someone elses memory is better than mine and they will speak up...

Spyder Garage

Resolved. PO had used duct tape to cover up a hole in the top of the gas tank...small puncture. It looked like it had been there for a long time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutusbikes View Post
    Resolved. PO had used duct tape to cover up a hole in the top of the gas tank...small puncture. It looked like it had been there for a long time.
    Nice of them to provide a wick or fuse to that little time bomb!

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutusbikes View Post
    Put some JB Weld on it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl