Spyder Garage

Default Replacing the HCM filter on my 18 F3L. Just snug the filter down?

So going to do this myself. I do not have a torque wrench. Can I use a simple socket to just snug the filter down? Or will that not work and cause leaks?

Spyder Garage

This will work just fine... I HAVE a torque wrench in IN LBS and still don't use it!! Use a 3 finger approach and a 1/4in drive ratchet if you have one. Go until they won't turn with ONLY 3 fingers (thumb and 2 others) on the ratchet. Then 1/8th of a turn further. 1/4 turn max...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

You can use a socket and ratchet or small breaker bar but just don't be ham-fisted about it and try to get all the bolts approximately the same degree of tightness. The bolt tightening sequence and instructions are in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    This will work just fine... I HAVE a torque wrench in IN LBS and still don't use it!! Use a 3 finger approach and a 1/4in drive ratchet if you have one. Go until they won't turn with ONLY 3 fingers (thumb and 2 others) on the ratchet. Then 1/8th of a turn further. 1/4 turn max...
    ..... the frame is basically plastic ( might have a wire embedded ??? ) so snug is all that's needed ..... There have been a couple of folks who have actually cleaned it, dried it and re-installed. .... I wouldn't do this with an engine/trans. oil filter but they are only $7.00 ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... the frame is basically plastic ( might have a wire embedded ??? ) so snug is all that's needed ..... There have been a couple of folks who have actually cleaned it, dried it and re-installed. .... I wouldn't do this with an engine/trans. oil filter but they are only $7.00 ..... good luck .... Mike
    What is only 7 bucks? The oil filter?

Spyder Garage

Default Filter

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    What is only 7 bucks? The oil filter?
    " engine OIL filter " .....that's all I paid, I bought a dozen Hi-Flo from an on-line seller ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike,
    SE6 Transmission filters are over 100 bucks. See Baja Ron. I did one last week, and another the week before. Oil filters are different than trans filters. Much cheaper!
    Spend the 20 bucks on a torque wrench. I wrench every day, and knowing beats guessing.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Mike,
    SE6 Transmission filters are over 100 bucks. See Baja Ron. I did one last week, and another the week before. Oil filters are different than trans filters. Much cheaper!
    Spend the 20 bucks on a torque wrench. I wrench every day, and knowing beats guessing.
    I corrected my post # 4 & 6 ..... I apologize for all the confusion this has caused .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I always have very MIXED feelings about using a torque wrench on low torque applications. I've seen more damage from torque wrenches than otherwise, in these situations. Torque wrenches are fine if you understand how to use them, set them properly, and they are calibrated correctly. No big deal for some. A lot of 'If's' for others.

In a low pressure, O-Ring seal application, like all the Spyder and Ryker oil filters, including the SE6 HCM, it is the O-Ring that does all the work. In other words, as long as the O-Ring has equal pressure all the way around, it will seal just fine with a relatively low clamping force. Not only do they not need to be killer tight. It is actually not good as it can deform the seal.

I am not saying a wimpy hand is good. Just trying to bracket your approach. Because O-Rings tend to be very forgiving, with a wide range of tension to achieve the necessary seal. As long as the tension is equal around the circumference.

Considering all of these parameters. And not knowing the customers abilities and tool availability. I generally recommend a stubby, 3/8" wrench and moderate snugging pressure. A little at a time using the recommended tightening sequence. Doing this, you can't go wrong.

These come in both ridged, as shown, and swivel handle. If you don't have one. Get one. You will find them quite handy in many situations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-08-2021 at 07:58 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes, just tighten the screws in a cross-pattern and evenly.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black